Why become a member? ×

Entry level fretless basses - suggestions?

lou24d53

I've been thinking lately about getting a fretless just for messing around with at home. Been on my mind for a while, but it was fuelled several notches after watching the excellent Paul Simon documentary "Under African Skies" on Saturday night...not like I am expecting to sound anything like Bakithi Kumalo you understand!! :lol:

Anyway, I was wondering what 'entry' level fretless basses I should perhaps be looking out for.

The Ibanex SRF series looks like it could be a pretty good starting point. Any other suggestions?

Edited by lou24d53

How much do you want to spend? Yes to the VM Jazz but might be worth your while looking at ESP LTD basses. You get a lot for your money with them. Mind you they will more than likely be made in the same factory as the VM Jazz. Ibanez SRs are always worth a look as well.

If you like the single coil sounds of a Jazz then the Squier VM fretless is definitely one to consider as all but the most basic Squiers these days are well regarded. The Ibanez SR370F that you're probably thinking about is probably going to be decently screwed together as well (as I'd bet that it's made in the same Cort factory as the Squier) and has a 3 band eq but you'll not get the single coil sound.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1402941996' post='2478148']
Wunjos will defrett an SR300. They did mine. Plays like a dream and well within your budget.
[/quote]

The Ibanez SR370F fretless is only £269 new so unless a defret can be done cheaply on a new or used SR300 it'll probably end up costing more...

Go a little further £450 and you are into Warwick (German) territory. I am very pleased with mine. At the other end of the scale my Warwick Rockbass corvette 5 string fretless was only £150 s/h. At that money you get an ebony fingerboard and superb build quality.

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1402934676' post='2478061']
The Vintage Jaco copy seems to get favourable comments.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/vintage_vj96mrjp_fretless.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...jp_fretless.htm[/url]
[/quote]

Owned one once. Killer value for the price. Hell, even if it was twice as expensive it will still be great.

You can pick up a second hand Warwick Rockbass fretless for silly money.

They are also pretty much the only bass at that price point that will come with an ebony board.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warwick-Rockbass-Streamer-Fretless-Bass-Guitar-4-String-Natural-Finish-/201107179295?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2ed2ec071f

Edited by throwoff

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1403005096' post='2478712']
A second hand MIM Jazz would be around £250 - and are lined :)
[/quote]

If they are anything like the US made Jazz fretless basses they have a problem in that the side dots are virtually hidden by the edges of the lines. Side dots on a plain board should, of course, be at the "fretting" position but on the Fender lined board they are just not visible enough to be of any real use.

I've decided no more than £300.00 is where I'm wanting to go for a first fretless 'experience'. So far my options appear to be...Squier VM Jazz...v...Vintage Icon V74...v...MIM Jazz...although I'll probably not be doing anything the next month or so until my holiday has been and gone and finances begin to grow again...well, unless something comes up bargainly priced on the 'For Sale' threads!