Why become a member? ×

got some money coming in so gonna upgrade a few pedals!

0175westwood29

hi all!

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:161174]

basically ive just done my tax return and will be getting a nice chunk of monies so thinking i might upgrade a few bit on my board!

the heart of my board and going nowhere! is my COG Effects custom " Red 5" which covers my reverb, chorus, octave and fuzz. i also have my Mesa flux drive which covers my more grindy low end overdrive needs, and from Lateral Sounds ive got the Root distortion which covers my high gain crunch (basically filth) sounds.

however here we come to pedals im thinking of upgrading, as my rack eq died and i was using that to cut everything below 20hz going to my amp (we tune to d standard and lower) as some protection for the speakers,so thinking of grabbing a boss eq to deal with that. but i also have a boss limiter to squash things a bit and take of the peaks to again protect the amp no this was what i thought could be replaced.

my ideas straight of are the aguilar comp, the Earthquaker devices Warden, or the mxr comp

now there a bit of a difference in price and the earthquaker being the cheapest but also seems to give a little bit more with it having a tone knob to dial in a bit more which i kind like the idea of, this would be on all the time. any thoughts welcome.

andy

I'm a compression junkie. I love it!

But I have to say that to beat the Marshall ED-1 you have to spend a lot of money. It's cheap and cheerful and sounds brilliant on bass.

IMHO it's only at Keeley 4-knob money (£220 ish) that you start to get close to it. The MXR Bass Compressor doesn't get anywhere near it.

That being said I really want to try a Jo Meek FloorQ!

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1400593594' post='2455240']
It is rather large :lol:

I had to buy a bigger board!
[/quote]

i can see this happening! serious earthquaker gas is happening, and am getting a few pedals to review for a new you tube thing im doing.

keep the idea coming guys im checking them all out

andy

The Empress would be top of my list if compressor shopping - excellent metering, and a blend control to allow heavy squishing yet still retaining some of the attack to come through. Not tried it unfortunately but it gets top reviews.

And think about getting a Thumpinator or FDeck HPF instead of an EQ pedal if you want to roll of the subsonics!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1400595026' post='2455275']
I'm a compression junkie. I love it!

But I have to say that to beat the Marshall ED-1 you have to spend a lot of money. It's cheap and cheerful and sounds brilliant on bass.

IMHO it's only at Keeley 4-knob money (£220 ish) that you start to get close to it. The MXR Bass Compressor doesn't get anywhere near it.

[/quote]

I think you and I are looking for very different things out of a compressor. I'm wanting a subtle always on compressor. One with no low end loss. One that doesn't sound like a compressor, just adds even-ness and "punch" in the mix. IMO, and Ovnilab's, the MXR is in a league above the compressors you mention.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1400601436' post='2455354']
I think you and I are looking for very different things out of a compressor. I'm wanting a subtle always on compressor. One with no low end loss. One that doesn't sound like a compressor, just adds even-ness and "punch" in the mix. IMO, and Ovnilab's, the MXR is in a league above the compressors you mention.
[/quote]

this sounds like what i want, to be able to comp things a bit but mainly just even out the extremes

andy

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1400601436' post='2455354']
[/quote]

I found the EBS Multi-comp is also good for subtle always-on compression.

From what I've been told on here & other places in the past, a good compressor needs good metering to be used effectively as a transparent compressor.
Unfortunately, there's only a select few that fit that criteria & the only one I remember the name of is the MarkBass Compressore. But it might be a little too large for you.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1400788294' post='2457108']
From what I've been told on here & other places in the past, a good compressor needs good metering to be used effectively as a transparent compressor.
Unfortunately, there's only a select few that fit that criteria & the only one I remember the name of is the MarkBass Compressore. But it might be a little too large for you.
[/quote]

yeh sadly the mb is a bit to big, looking for something about the same size of the boss maybe a bit smaller

andy