Why become a member? ×

The Damned With Paul Gray - Nice!

spongebob

I've always quite liked the first 2 Damned albums, and having heard it again recently, the 3rd one too!

For some reason, I've always avoided their post MGE records, primarily as I remember the 80s - Happy Talk, Eloise, cartoon image, etc.!

Read some positive stuff about The Black Album (never knew it was a double) so with my streaming subscription, gave it a listen.

It's been on heavy rotation for a few days - really like it. Ricky bass tone to die for, just a much better and different sounding band to what I expected. Quite experimental, with some great tunes along the way.

Not sure if I'll dive in any further - I think the follow-up has PG on it (may check that out), but after that, it's the band I remember....and would rather forget!

Should have checked this out years ago - a streaming success...

....and full proof of how a change in bass player can change the band! :)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1399290456' post='2442741']
....a 17 minute proto-goth/punk/prog epic!
[/quote]

I was trying to think of a way to describe "Curtain Call" & I suppose that's as good as any. :)

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1399290456' post='2442741']
I'd probably still say my favourite was Machine Gun Etiquette, but Curtain Call from the Black Album is absolutely stunning - a 17 minute proto-goth/punk/prog epic! Fantastic stuff!

Jon.
[/quote]
[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1399293332' post='2442778']
I was trying to think of a way to describe "Curtain Call" & I suppose that's as good as any. :)
[/quote]

Yep, I'd go with that too.

[quote name='Jonesy64' timestamp='1399285982' post='2442692']
Strawberries is my second favourite Damned album after Machine Gun Etiquette.

Have you already seen this.....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3h-Y0cjPJr0
[/quote]... Cheers for that Jonesy, never seen that

Edited by rogerstodge

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1399308803' post='2442983']
Perhaps I'll give 'Strawberries' a go well, seems to be getting some serious love here!

How's PG's bass tone on that one? I think part of TBA's appeal is his playing and awesome sound.
[/quote]strawberries is a great album, bass sounds awesome

I've had the pleasure of supporting Captain when he did a solo tour. He brought PG on bass and his playing with just superb! He had just a TBird and this 4x10 Laney combo that he cranked. Superb sound and great melodic playing. I stole a lot of lines that gig!

Whenever those "favourite bassist/ your bass influence" threads pop up I always forget to say Paul Gray. But having spent most of the day listening to The Damned he's definitely one of my favourites!
The Black Album isn't just my favourite Damned album, but it's one of my favourite albums ever.