Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

La Bella Low Tension Flats....

Musicman20

It looks very much like La Bella are trying to take on Thomastik with a string that all but mimics the Jazz Bass flats that have become so popular. Quite understandable I suppose, that's business, but I bet Thomastik aren't happy. La Bella are the other big "street cred" name in flatwounds , and they will try and exploit that cache to market these new strings.

TIs are nickel though and these new ones are steel, so it's not like they've just gone and copied them. Nickel flats like TIs and Pyramids are so much smoother too the touch, I find La Bellas and the like really sticky by comparison.

Pretty sure Ti's are Stainless but...
Having just bough a set of labellas and finding the tension a little high for me might give these new ones a try.
Thanks for the heads up.
B)

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1398688452' post='2436532']
Cheers, not seen these. I'd like to try them too, but they'd have to be pretty special for me to take them over TI's! When my flats need changing next decade I will give them a whirl.
[/quote]
I cant think of anything worser than having strings on for more than two gigs!!! :o

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1398766508' post='2437308']
Cheers Molan. I will probably try a set of these on an incoming bass...
[/quote]

The answer was along the lines:

'We will be getting these in stock but we don't know when or how much they will cost. . .'

Well there you go.
Says Stainless on the strings direst page, Nickel on Ti's....My bad.
http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/p/913053/thomastik-4-string-jf364-jazz-stainless-flatwound-x-long-scale-bass-strings/

B)

I quite fancy these. I stopped using flats as they always felt a bit tight for me. Recently I got a Silver Series Jazz with flats on and I really like the sound but they still feel a bit that way. Just had a look on their site and they work out at £34.00 ish delivered from the good old USA. I think I might give them a go...

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1398772364' post='2437395']

The answer was along the lines:

'We will be getting these in stock but we don't know when or how much they will cost. . .'
[/quote]

I'd like to try a 5-string set on one of my Warwicks too, so please keep us posted if you receive the new strings, Barrie :)

The online shops in the US are listing the LaBella Lo Tension strings at approx 30% above the price of the the regular flats:
Four string sets @ $45 (against $35 for regular)
Five string sets @ $60 (against $45 for regular)

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Low-Tension-Flexible-Flats_c_1501.html

Taking the UK prices for the regulars flats as £36 for four string and £47 for five string sets, I reckon that the new Low Tension ones to cost here:
£47 for 4 string sets
£58 for 5 string sets

Pretty much a straight $ = £ swap all round :)

I dont know if it makes a difference but I registered at bassstringsonline (free) and the prices below are what I have just been quoted. I ordered a set of vi strings recently and there was no import charge either.

4 string low tension sets from bassstringsonline.com (which you get directed to from La Bella) are $44.95 and $12 shipping = $56.95 a quick conversion on google says that comes to £33.76.

5 string sets are $59.95 plus $12 shipping. $71.95 in pounds should come to around £42.65.

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Low-Tension-Flexible-Flats_c_1501.html

Hope this helps...

Edited by itsmedunc