Why become a member? ×

Bands - Greater Than The Sum Of Their Parts?

flyfisher

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1398619866' post='2435823']
. . . can anyone think of examples where a successful band has split up and one (or more) of the members have gone on to become even more successful than the original band?

My first thought was the Peter Green incarnation of Fleetwood Mac that was reinvented as a 'west coast' band and hugely successful, but it's not really an example of one band member going on to a highly successful career.

My second thought was Phil Collins out of Genesis. It be argued that he was more successful than Genesis, in a 'top 10 pop' sort of way.

Any other suggestions?
[/quote]

Beyonce.

Robert Palmer. Heck, probably Elkie Brooks as well. How many people know of Vinegar Joe nowdays?

George Michael. Wham were big, GM was bigger, I think.

Does Crowded House count as Neil Finn formed the band after Split Enz split up?

Peter Gabriel became more successful than Gabriel era Genesis, but probably not more than Collins era Genesis.

Bachman-Turner Overdrive was by some measures more successful than Bachman era Guess Who. Burton Cummings had some massive hits after Guess Who broke up, but I'm not sure I'd classify this as more successful as his hitmaking solo career was short.

Neil Young was more successful than Buffalo Springfield. CSN&Y confuse the issue a bit, however.

Jeff Lynne led ELO was more successful than The Move.

Bob Mould is probably more successful than Husker Du. Again, Sugar confuses things here.

Norman Cook of The Housemartins. His Fatboy Slim persona was definitely more successful than The Housemartins.