Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker

jakenewmanbass

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1399198154' post='2441922']
Sounds glorious.
Gigged mine last night and it was fabulous
[/quote]

They do look and sound great live.

In the last five years I have gigged Stingrays, Precisions, a 74 Jazz, and a couple of Warwicks. Only twice have I had punters coming up to me saying how cool the bass looked. First time it was my Jetglo Ric, the second was a couple of weeks ago with my newly acquired walnut Ric.

Still haven't had anyone compliment my playing though!

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1399394433' post='2443806']
Fender are now enforcing patents, wonder if the same ban will be applied.
[/quote]

Fender have been enforcing patents for years, why do you think certain older Fender style guitars are referred to as "Pre Lawsuit", and that newer models by Tokai, Levinson & countless other makes have different headstock shapes to Fender?

[quote name='geofio' timestamp='1399332319' post='2443277']
Here is a comparison between my Walnut 2014 4003 and my 2013 Jetglo 4003.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0arxQI6oy8s[/media]
[/quote]

Two beautiful basses, George.

Surprisingly maybe , the walnut bass sounds quite bit more aggressive than the walnut one . As Hiram ( Warren) points out though, they do still sound very similar overall. One could easily substitute for the other in most situations, I would think.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1399394433' post='2443806']
Fender are now enforcing patents, wonder if the same ban will be applied.
[/quote]

Now THERE'S a thread!
I was kinda thinking today, (shut it!) wonder if the same trademarks apply to the R*** 4005. Apparently the CEO calls them Tuna Boats and won't have them made again.

[quote name='geofio' timestamp='1399332319' post='2443277']
Here is a comparison between my Walnut 2014 4003 and my 2013 Jetglo 4003.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0arxQI6oy8s
[/quote]

Lovely tone to both - the walnut one sounds a bit snappier at the top.
Cheers George, now I want another Rick. :-D

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1399406664' post='2443991']
For some reason, Geofio, I always thought you were the other chap in your avatar
[/quote]

Funny. I did too originally - for quite some time.
Then I realised who the guy on the right was: a known punter who likes basses and bassists (and keeps giving unwanted advice) by the name of Gary Wiener something I believe.
Apparently plays in a trio himself as well - - if he is to be believed on that.

Edited by BassTractor

As some will know, I'm in a Beatles tribute band. We normally play theatre shows and some private functions, but last night we had a pub gig as a bit of a favor for the landlord we know.
Anyway, as a bit of a change from playing the Hofner, I decided to a whole gig on my rick!
Outrageously bad taste playing all the pre 66 stuff on the rick but it was nice to do a full set with it.
It's a 4003 in maple glow, rocking the post Beatles era stripped look.
Mines from 1997 and I concur, they are special.

[quote name='Triumphman' timestamp='1399758103' post='2447451']
As some will know, I'm in a Beatles tribute band. We normally play theatre shows and some private functions, but last night we had a pub gig as a bit of a favor for the landlord we know.
Anyway, as a bit of a change from playing the Hofner, I decided to a whole gig on my rick!
Outrageously bad taste playing all the pre 66 stuff on the rick but it was nice to do a full set with it.
It's a 4003 in maple glow, rocking the post Beatles era stripped look.
Mines from 1997 and I concur, they are special.
[/quote]

What amps and cabs do you use for the authentic Beatles sound? Any pics of the rig?

I,m not usually a wood on show lover ,I prefer solid colours but those walnut Rics just look fabulous.
Next thing how do I fund this and yes I would have a hipshot bridge on it right away.
I,m 15 years in with my current Ric and hipshot.Build quality and finish is second to none or I struck out lucky twice,my old 4001 was the same but the 4003 is a better bass.

Minimal difference, might be interesting swapping the strings over and doing it again (I know they are the same type but have they had the same amount of wear?) but irrespective I doubt you'd hear any difference in a full band situation and the punters certainly wouldn't. But then the walnut isn't being sold as being anything different tonewise over std rics. In fact a lot of people might send them back if they were radically different in sound without prewarning. I probably would.

OK, as I said the difference to me sounds minimal. Quite possible, given variabilities in pickups etc that if you or I played enough of them we might find a modern non-walnut that sounds like your walnut and there may be a walnut out there that sounds like your regular 4003. When all's said and done the important thing is it sounds like a [i]Ric B) [/i]