Why become a member? ×

Where Does G.A.S. Come From?

Bloc Riff Nut

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1395853529' post='2407211'] Sheryl Crow even sang about it :lol: I don't have digital I don't have diddly squat It's not having what you want It's wanting what you've got [url="http://youtu.be/KIYiGA_rIls"]http://youtu.be/KIYiGA_rIls[/url] however...... you can tell by his equipment that this young man has some serious GAS issues :) [url="http://youtu.be/rNzt3uNEVxU"]http://youtu.be/rNzt3uNEVxU[/url] [/quote]

How can I unsee that?

[quote name='mcarp555' timestamp='1395855772' post='2407262']
This fella has 'issues', full stop! :blush:
[/quote]

i can see no issues at all :D

he could teach mr king a lesson or two about tasteful slapping

and he could teach grayson perry a thing or two about tasteful dressing

imho ymmv mcton etceteraetcetera :)

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1395866063' post='2407467']
i can see no issues at all :D

he could teach mr king a lesson or two about tasteful slapping

and he could teach grayson perry a thing or two about tasteful dressing

imho ymmv mcton etceteraetcetera :)
[/quote]
We've gone a bit OT here but yes, that guy makes my day. [i]Vive la différence,[/i] as the Koreans say.

For me, GAS comes from spending too much time on Basschat!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1395867384' post='2407492']
We've gone a bit OT here but yes, that guy makes my day. [i]Vive la différence,[/i] as the Koreans say.

For me, GAS comes from spending too much time on Basschat!
[/quote]

au contraire monsieur sheryl summed it up quite nicely i thought

though i do concur i could have picked one of HJ's videos where he shows off his complete rack .... of basses that is :o

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1395852795' post='2407199']
When I was in a band, I hardly bought anything and was happy with my sound.

Now I'm not, I'm still happy with my sound, but because I have some disposable income, I buy and sell a lot of (mainly used) gear. Everything can be sold on again, and if I end up making a loss I just see it as a rental fee in return for me getting to play with new toys all the time!

I want to join another band sometime this year, but I don't really have the time, I'm too busy messing around with different basses/amps/pedals! :D
[/quote]

This is exactly what has happened to me!

When I was playing I wasn't buying. Now I'm buying I'm hardly playing! I think the buying is a substitute for not being able to do the playing I would like. It must be done sort of comfort.

[quote name='maldy' timestamp='1395870364' post='2407543']
When I was playing I wasn't buying. Now I'm buying I'm hardly playing! I think the buying is a substitute for not being able to do the playing I would like. It must be done sort of comfort.
[/quote]

It's been the opposite for me. I recently went band-less for about two years, just doing sideman gigs with singer/songwriters on the upright, and I didn't buy anything. I'm now in two bands and looking at new effects and hexaphonic pickups and all sorts of nonsense!

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]GAS;[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"[/font][/color][i]Lack of contentment sows the seed of envy and leads to a culture of excessive materialism[/i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]" - Dalai Lama [/font][/color]

Someone said this before in another thread, and I agree, a lot of GAS is just curiosity. I've never bought a bass because I thought I needed it, I've just liked something about it and wondered if it would work for me. Most of them didn't.

That's basses. Amps are different, there's usually been a definite reason, like the old amp was unreliable, or sounded bad in certain situations, or was too heavy. The MarkBass has cured that.

At the end of the day , is GAS really hurting anyone else? I suspect that the only people who are offended by GAS, are people who are short of money and can't join in, or are very content with their lot and don't want any more gear, (which probably means they have exhausted their GAS awhile back) :P

It's taken a long time get here but I'm finally in a place where I have everything I want from my set ups.

Band 1, My bass gives me exactly what I want/need from it and after a refinish looks perfect, my effects are sorted, amp does everything I want it too.

Band 2, My Double bass plays/sounds/looks lovely, my pre-amp and amp just work together like a dream to give me what I need/want.

I'm happy with it all, my bands are happy with it all .................... so why is browsing various sites on the web for gear an almost daily occurrence? :unsure: :blush: :lol:

Definitely not restricted to instruments. I suffer from art supplies GAS and notebook (the paper kind) GAS. Can never have enough paints/pencils/sketchbooks.

As far as music goes I have most problem with amp GAS, although lately I seem to be going the opposite way - once I found a guitar amp I clicked with I now want to sell my others. Which is good, becuase I need to make way/funds for a bass amp, because I don't have one yet! I just use my Yamaha THR guitar amp (suitable for bass too) lined-out to a speaker system with a subwoofer.