Why become a member? ×

Designing a pickguard for my G&L L2000 - what do you think?

mcnach

I have a natural/maple L2000 Tribute series G&L which, visually, I think will benefit from a black pickguard.

L2000 purists look away now:
I have also removed the original preamp and installed a John East MMSR 3-band. :lol:
I actually intend to fit a U-Retro instead, with its two switches. I will cover the third hole with the pickguard (which will be attached with double sided sticky tape, no drilling).

I've been designing the pickguard in Illustrator, printing and cutting the results on paper to ensure it all fits etc (special thanks to machinehead, who sent me his template... I did not use his design but it gave me a perfect template for the pickup cutouts :hi: )

So, I think I've made up my mind, but I wonder what you think.

The three final designs are all MusicMan-inspired (what a surprise! :P)

The first one is tear-drop shaped, based on the pickguards mounted on OLPs:

That's actually not the very final design, as I extended the pickguard where it meets the neck on the final version, but it's nearly there.

The second one is also tear-drop shaped, but more round at the bottom and more "tear-dropesque":

and finally, the number three is more oval, slighly more similar to a Stingray's:

So, what do you think?
Sacrilege?
Ok, but all three are rubbish and you have a better idea? ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1395778885' post='2406259']
Number two! Black/White/Black, obviously. :)
...though White/Black/White would also be acceptable...

Think I prefer White/Black/White now, to be honest. Show off the pickups.
[/quote]

3-ply black/white/black, of course! :)

I considered white, but what I like about the black is how the pickups are "disguised" in it.

When looking at the original pictures, in white, I lean heavily towards #3. However, after I see it in black... #2 is a strong contender too.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1395779417' post='2406276']
just as i hit the post button you put the black option on :)
[/quote]

just for you, baby :P

No, there really is no option, it's going to be black. 3-ply: black/white/black. The original pictures are only white because I printed on white paper ;)

Here's my L1000 with added pickguard. I've added some fake screws since the photo was taken (and the correct knobs).

[url="http://s139.photobucket.com/user/optical_I/media/wunkay4.jpg.html"][/url]

I had it made to my template at Sims custom shop.

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1395784871' post='2406388']
Second one, but the teardrop should be completed by the last fret, not the base of the neck.
Looks like a plan!
[/quote]

That's a little high (for my liking)... It does not finish at the base 'though, it looks like this really:

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1395814582' post='2406550']
...pearloid would be my choice...
[/quote]
[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1395824622' post='2406645']
...A nice dark red tort would look cool!
[/quote]

Blooargghhh!!! ...Er, I mean two great suggestions. :biggrin:

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1395785680' post='2406403']
Here's my L1000 with added pickguard. I've added some fake screws since the photo was taken (and the correct knobs).

[/quote]

that's a cool bass!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1395833363' post='2406789']
Honestly, I'm not a fan. Looks too "stingrayesque" and I'd want to do something more out there and want it to be my own

Just IMO ofcourse :)
[/quote]

I hear you.
The problem is that every design I tried that was not Stingrayesque was pretty... ugly. BUt that's just a reflection of my imagination/taste, I suppose.
The Stingray-derived plate was a "safe" one. As it's a look I already like, as you may have guessed ;)

I was going initialy for a Sabre-like design, as I also like metal plates, but I could not find a metal plate I liked enough, and it involved more of a permanent conversion. Essentially, everything else I tried looked ugly or was a direct derivation of something else.

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1395785680' post='2406403']

[/quote]
THIS! :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

There's no tape holding it yet, the fit was nearly perfect (and whatever inaccuracy there is, it's my fault and my template's not the Bass Doc's, just to be clear!). There is a bit of a gap, tiny, on the bridge pickup and neck pickup, as it is, but I can centre it really well once I put some sticky tape underneath. Better fit than many "original parts" for MusicMan and Fender basses!