Why become a member? ×

I feel dirty (I love the P bass)

mcnach

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1395705797' post='2405448']
I have a Frankenfender P bass with a 1980's, Mighty Mite pickup, stuck in a Squier body, attached to an old P bass neck. I've not been able to put it down since I put it together a few months ago. I play it in my Ska band and it sounds epic. It also sounds great recorded.

I thought I hated Precisions, what happened?
[/quote]

It's a disturbing feeling, isn't it? :P

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1395732337' post='2405508']
Are you serious? :lol:

A
[/quote]

Incredible, eh? :P

Considering it's the style of bass I have owned longest and owned the larger number of (mostly because I went "meh, I don't like this" :lol:) it's a surprising revelation.

It's also given me a new sense of purpose: I do want a decent P now. It means maple fingerboard (of course), with a very nice neck (wide and chunky, but "just so"), and that has that "thump" in it (which means trying a bunch...).
One day.

The P certainly has its place beside the Stingray and Jazz. I have generally used a Jazz neck pickup to mimic a P, which it does to some extent, but there's something missing that even a lowly SR Precision has.

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1395647765' post='2404574']
Welcome to the club. You will never leave.
[/quote]

I signed in as a guest a couple of times. Both times I got stared/glared at as soon as I went in the door, bought a beer, played the club puggie a few times, didn't win anything, then left when the stares from the local yokels started to burn uncomfortable holes in my body.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1395740023' post='2405579']

Considering it's the style of bass I have owned longest and owned the larger number of (mostly because I went "meh, I don't like this" :lol:) it's a surprising revelation.

It's also given me a new sense of purpose: I do want a decent P now. It means maple fingerboard (of course), with a very nice neck (wide and chunky, but "just so"), and that has that "thump" in it (which means trying a bunch...).
One day.

The P certainly has its place beside the Stingray and Jazz. I have generally used a Jazz neck pickup to mimic a P, which it does to some extent, but there's something missing that even a lowly SR Precision has.
[/quote]

Knowing your love of bridge pickups you should try a BB series Yamaha. Its not quite *the* P sound but I think you might like it. You're welcome to a go on my 414 if you fancy :D

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1395746248' post='2405671']
Knowing your love of bridge pickups you should try a BB series Yamaha. Its not quite *the* P sound but I think you might like it. You're welcome to a go on my 414 if you fancy :D
[/quote]

Funny you say that, I have been looking at BB series Yamahas too... Would love to try yours!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1395740023' post='2405579']

One day.

[/quote]

I do seem to remember being here before. Weren't you going for a custom P some time ago? I to have had those P moments. We've often commented about it. I particularly remember your CV even with the old style pickup. Damn that was nice! If the SR does it for you then you do need to get a 'proper one'. My blinged SR with the Wizard trad has a lovely sound that only a P can do. Even my short scale Satellite with some £2 pickup in it has a wonderful warm thump. Ill still go back to my J's though.

Keep us posted. Im intrigued to see what your going to plump for.

As for me, Ive got my eye on a 6er ;)

A

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1395740023' post='2405579'] It's also given me a new sense of purpose: I do want a decent P now. It means maple fingerboard (of course), with a very nice neck (wide and chunky, but "just so"), and that has that "thump" in it (which means trying a bunch...) [/quote]

Sounds just like a Steve Harris sig. Fender.

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1395759694' post='2405888']
I do seem to remember being here before. Weren't you going for a custom P some time ago? I to have had those P moments. We've often commented about it. I particularly remember your CV even with the old style pickup. Damn that was nice! If the SR does it for you then you do need to get a 'proper one'. My blinged SR with the Wizard trad has a lovely sound that only a P can do. Even my short scale Satellite with some £2 pickup in it has a wonderful warm thump. Ill still go back to my J's though.

Keep us posted. Im intrigued to see what your going to plump for.

As for me, Ive got my eye on a 6er ;)

A
[/quote]

6er? I have a couple of Stratocasters and a Les Paul. That's the sort of 6er you mean, surely... not... the other... kind... :P

The idea of a "custom P" was not really a P. It was going to have a single P pickup, but a lot closer to the bridge, therefore removing it's "P-ness". I'm still going to do it, just building it from the bits of the 3rd SR Precision that I have in my room: maple fingerboard neck, half-stripped body (will just be oiled natural, perhaps dyed a bit).

I'll just be looking at maple neck Precisions and hopefully trying a bunch, until I find "the one". Not in a hurry. Fortunately, it's a bass model that's extremely common :)

I have several P's (I'm diabetic :rolleyes: :lol: ) and love them all. The best one has an SD-SPB1 in it and I love it, the most expensive one is a MIM. The cheapest one is a Legend (my middle name) that cost £40, maple board too for that. I fitted a fender vintage pup and new fender tuners with a Gotoh 201 bridge and it's light and very powerful.
who needs USA?

Must admit that Andy Baxter put me on to Elites Player Series 45-105 Nickel strings. I just love the slightly bright but full sound from them. They do sound great on a P or J in my opinion. I've never liked flatwounds at all, just not my bag. I don't even like the "sticky" feel of them on my fingers.

Cheers,
Rich

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1395767715' post='2406036']
6er? I have a couple of Stratocasters and a Les Paul. That's the sort of 6er you mean, surely... not... the other... kind... :P

The idea of a "custom P" was not really a P. It was going to have a single P pickup, but a lot closer to the bridge, therefore removing it's "P-ness". I'm still going to do it, just building it from the bits of the 3rd SR Precision that I have in my room: maple fingerboard neck, half-stripped body (will just be oiled natural, perhaps dyed a bit).

I'll just be looking at maple neck Precisions and hopefully trying a bunch, until I find "the one". Not in a hurry. Fortunately, it's a bass model that's extremely common :)
[/quote]

Yes I do mean the other kind but not the dad kind, more like the mum kind if you call strats and les paul types the baby kind. And Im not talking porridge............... or am I! :blink:

So basically your going to try and make a P sound a bit like a ray? :lol: Yep your going to have plenty to play with. Common as muck. Id have a good search for a non fender/squier but still P shaped one. Might find something interesting. Its all in the pickup anyway ;)

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1396550006' post='2415040']
Yes I do mean the other kind but not the dad kind, more like the mum kind if you call strats and les paul types the baby kind. And Im not talking porridge............... or am I! :blink:

So basically your going to try and make a P sound a bit like a ray? :lol: Yep your going to have plenty to play with. Common as muck. Id have a good search for a non fender/squier but still P shaped one. Might find something interesting. Its all in the pickup anyway ;)

A
[/quote]

I like porridge. <_<

Ha ha, yes, pretty much that, a Ray with a P pickup instead. Almost. There's something about that pickup location, and the P pickup makes it sound a bit different. The final location is probably going to be not exactly Ray, but won't be far. The objective is not to recreate a Ray, but since I favour bridge pickups, it won't be far from it.

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1396595627' post='2415415'[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1396595627' post='2415415']
It's personal preference, but I've never found a bass that agrees with my ears in the same way a P does.
[/quote]
I hear where you are coming from....