Why become a member? ×

Know it alls

ianrunci

I was acosted by an old aquaintance of mine last night in my local. This guy is a serious bass collector, he has about 30 basses ranging from 60's precissions and jazzes to alembics, statuses, Jaydees and god know what else. He's loaded as you would expect and he spent the night explaining to me the benefits of each of his instruments and how this one was better than that one for getting certain sounds etc. He has all the latest amps and speakers. Eden and EBS stacks etc, his neighbours must be in torment

Eventually I had to retreat outside with the rest of the smokers under our present aparthied system and managed to sneak off home.

I couldn't belive this bloke was giving me advice about getting the right tone. He's never done a gig outside his bedroom but is an expert on the subject apparently :)

Thinking back this morning I just thought what a waste of money, might as well buy an X box 360 for my dog

Yeah, I used to know someone like this in the 80s, couldn't play a note. He would say my guitar's crap because although the knobs had numbers on there was no metal spike marker under them so would be useless in the studio. He had lots of good gear too.

Used to be in a band with a geezer who had three custom spec Sei sixers. He was complete crap too, had to let him go. Nice guy though so he's excused.

People can do what they want of course, but it doesn't mean you want to listen to their rubbish all night in the pub, a ciggie outside is always my get out clause too :)

Often I find all their posh gear is masking a very deep sense of insecurity. Although I do know some people like this who are completely happy in their home studios surround by thousands of quid's worth and wouldn't dream of getting on a stage.

[quote]Thinking back this morning I just thought what a waste of money, might as well buy an X box 360 for my dog[/quote]

Maybe your dog would prefer a Wii ? :)

Seriously what pretentiousness, I call them Imeldas (Marcos) doesn't matter what item it is collecting things like that is a sign of madness, I used to do it myself, but now I am OK , I just collect therapists....

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='silddx' post='237571' date='Jul 11 2008, 08:18 PM']People can do what they want of course, but it doesn't mean you want to listen to their rubbish all night in the pub, a ciggie outside is always my get out clause too :)[/quote]

I use the same excuss but i think I'm rumbled when they know i don't smoke

I have a suspicion I'mone of those people in a sense. I've spent lots of time telling people about gear stuff, but it is generally cause they ask, only a coupla hours ago my guitarist asked about how to get an atmospheric sound in acoustic guitar parts, was chatting away about reverb and subtle chorus for a while till I realised, 'Wait a minute, I've never recorded acoustic guitar parts or used chorus or reverb in my life.'. Pretty sure I was right anyway.

Had a similar experience when i lived in preston a few years ago.
I wasnt playing then but i was interested and i met a guy who collected basses, went to the pub one night and he baffled the life outta me, i#m all for listening and learning but it gets a bit much after 5 hours, i gave him the benefit of the doubt and went back to his house (ooh errrrrrrrrr) he had some stunning basses but didnt own an amp, said he didnt need one has he didnt play ( couldnt play) just collected them coz he likes the look of em.
I like the look of old stone and mature women but i dont collect em. :)

[quote name='ianrunci' post='237550' date='Jul 11 2008, 07:53 PM']I was acosted by an old aquaintance of mine last night in my local. This guy is a serious bass collector, he has about 30 basses ranging from 60's precissions and jazzes to alembics, statuses, Jaydees and god know what else. He's loaded as you would expect and he spent the night explaining to me the benefits of each of his instruments and how this one was better than that one for getting certain sounds etc. He has all the latest amps and speakers. Eden and EBS stacks etc, his neighbours must be in torment

Eventually I had to retreat outside with the rest of the smokers under our present aparthied system and managed to sneak off home.

I couldn't belive this bloke was giving me advice about getting the right tone. He's never done a gig outside his bedroom but is an expert on the subject apparently :)

Thinking back this morning I just thought what a waste of money, might as well buy an X box 360 for my dog[/quote]

It wasnt Doctor Bass was it ? :huh:

Recently I've noticed an outbreak of former bass players. A group of geezers will come in before we start, survey the band's setup and then someone will say "You used to play bass, Cyril." And they all laugh and look like they expect me to freak out because there's someone who last touched a bass 30 years ago in the room.

I think guitarists get the geeks more than we do. Ours usually has to spend his break discussing pedals with some bedroom artist.

[quote name='ianrunci' post='237550' date='Jul 11 2008, 07:53 PM']I couldn't belive this bloke was giving me advice about getting the right tone. He's never done a gig outside his bedroom but is an expert on the subject apparently :)[/quote]
Point him in the direction of the Ernie Ball forum - he'll fit right in!

Blamelouis!

No, the know it all tis not me,

1. I live in Peterborough!

2. I've got 54 basses (not 30)! AND

3. I play in many bands, (pays ze mortgage!)

4. I USED to be loaded back in the old days during the IT boom!

I suppose you could say I'm one of those annoying b$stards with too much gear but never a know it all, remember, the more you learn the more you realise how little you really know!

hehe!

Nick (there is a guy advertising on gumtree from that area, looking for Wals and Jaydees - hmmm!)

Meh he sounds like a bit of a prat trying to lecture you but in the end, musical instruments don't have to be bought to be performed. They're bought for enjoyment, of which performing is an offshoot (for most people)...

While he might be an idiot for lecturing don't knock him for having a load of nice basses and not performing. If he's loaded he probably has a pretty high stress job and if buying basses is his hobby then power to him.

All strictly IMO of course.

Or have I missed the point of some of the posts... :)

If I have, no offence meant :huh:

[quote name='ashevans09' post='239689' date='Jul 15 2008, 12:40 AM']Meh he sounds like a bit of a prat trying to lecture you but in the end, musical instruments don't have to be bought to be performed. They're bought for enjoyment, of which performing is an offshoot (for most people)...

While he might be an idiot for lecturing don't knock him for having a load of nice basses and not performing. If he's loaded he probably has a pretty high stress job and if buying basses is his hobby then power to him.

All strictly IMO of course.

Or have I missed the point of some of the posts... :)

If I have, no offence meant :huh:[/quote]

I think you did lol, the whole point of the topic I suppose was not only don't teach your granny to suck eggs but also don't verbally bore people to death while they are enjoying a nice drink :huh:

[quote name='ianrunci' post='237550' date='Jul 11 2008, 07:53 PM']Eventually I had to retreat outside with the rest of the smokers under our present aparthied system[/quote]
:) Too true

[quote name='spinynorman' post='239390' date='Jul 14 2008, 06:22 PM']I think guitarists get the geeks more than we do. Ours usually has to spend his break discussing pedals with some bedroom artist.[/quote]
Bet he loves it though.

'I used to have one of those, can I have a go mate? Mine was a real one though, be worth a fortune if I still had it.'

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='239647' date='Jul 14 2008, 11:37 PM']Blamelouis!

No, the know it all tis not me,

1. I live in Peterborough!

2. I've got 54 basses (not 30)! AND

3. I play in many bands, (pays ze mortgage!)

4. I USED to be loaded back in the old days during the IT boom!

I suppose you could say I'm one of those annoying b$stards with too much gear but never a know it all, remember, the more you learn the more you realise how little you really know!

hehe!

Nick (there is a guy advertising on gumtree from that area, looking for Wals and Jaydees - hmmm!)[/quote]

Your still LOADED and know more than me ! :)