Why become a member? ×

Warwick machine heads.

NancyJohnson

Any particular reason why you would want them straight?

I recently owned a Streamer and the previous owner drilled extra holes to have the machines straight, but apparently changed his mind and went angled again.

It took me a good couple of months to get used to the angled machine heads on my Warwick Star Bass, and I'm still not 100% comfortable with them when changing the strings. TBH I find the whole paddle-shaped headstock completely ugly and if I had the cash to get it done properly the bass would be off to a reputable luthier to have it changed to something more in keeping with the look of the rest of the bass.

I'll have to go and measure mine, but I have a feeling that putting the machine heads at an angle allows Warwick to get them closer together and therefore reduce the size of the headstock. Straightening them out might not be possible as the buttons will then touch (or at least be too close together to be usable).

Edit: Just measured mine and the post centres are 45mm apart which is no closer than any of my other basses with modern style machine head buttons (and in fact more widely spaced than my Overwater basses) so straightening them up won't cause any problems.

Edited by BigRedX

I like the look of the angled machine heads (on a Dutch bass forum I frequently visit they sometimes refer to them as 'weeping willow tuners'), but I'm not particularly convinced of its use in terms of ergonomics, and I HATE the fact I can't use a string winder on my Warwick when changing strings because it keeps hitting the other tuners. Works perfectly on all my other basses, but not on the 'Wick.

I reckon that the angled tuners are great, both aesthetically and as an ergonomic consideration.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1395043389' post='2397894']
It took me a good couple of months to get used to the angled machine heads on my Warwick Star Bass, and I'm still not 100% comfortable with them when changing the strings. TBH I find the whole paddle-shaped headstock completely ugly and if I had the cash to get it done properly the bass would be off to a reputable luthier to have it changed to something more in keeping with the look of the rest of the bass.
[/quote]

I love the paddle headstock. The design is neat and it suits a Streamer, Dolphin, Corvette, Fortress, Infinity, or a Thumb Bass Perfectly. I know what you're saying though. The Star Bass is so far removed from the traditional Warwick vibe that they maybe should have thought it all out a bit differently .... Send the Star Bass back to Warwick and get them to attach something more appropriate to the neck! The same could be said for the Vampyre, grrr!!! ;)