Why become a member? ×

R*ckb*ck*er 4003 Walnut...Ooooh Blimey...

Muzz

I really liked my 4001, which I had for about six or seven years, but I can't say I've liked a single 4003 I've tried (probably half a dozen, in various shops), and it's not all about the ergonomics - I play a 22-fret Laklandbird with the world's worst top fret access ever, and I love that - they've just not been great basses, which, for the money, they should be.

I've probably been simply unlucky: folk on here have good (great) ones, I'd say their experience may be the exception.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1396138860' post='2410414']
Rehearsed my one twice and gigged with it once and can honestly say I've never played a better Ric. Built beautifully too

I guess I was lucky :)
[/quote]

Same for me. Removed the pickup cover (looks nice but gets in the way!), and stuck some decent strings on, and it really is an awesome bass.

I guess I was lucky too :)

Got mine today, i must say it sounds fantastic, really growly like, lot lighter than my 4003 Jetglo 2013 model, neck is wonderful to play, finish is awesome, replaced the factory strings with slinkies, sound even better , it has a meaty bottom end and a great grinding ric sound from it. am happy. wood finish is so smooth. here she is.
Here is a small mp3 demo of my 4003 walnut if any one is interested.
https://soundcloud.com/george-lynch/4003-walnut

Edited by geofio

[quote name='geofio' timestamp='1396216648' post='2411161']
Here is a small mp3 demo of my 4003 walnut if any one is interested.
[url="https://soundcloud.com/george-lynch/4003-walnut"]https://soundcloud.c...nch/4003-walnut[/url]
[/quote]

I do like the clankiness, and the heft is certainly under it. I just can't find a Ric that I'm comfortable with.

Edited by discreet

Muzz,, agreed there are dogs out there it is like any other bass, as a ric user i have noticed that QC is getting better at ric. as i am the first to complain if it aint. obviously a ric is not for you!!!
and another thing about rics are that they don satisfy immediately, it takes a bit of time and work to get them playing and sounding the way you want them to. i have just got the neck and action sorted on this walnut it took a few days but it is there now and will stay that way until i move it. it is as good as anuy other good ric i have owned. unfortunately you have been unlucky !! if you played one of my 4003's i think you would feel different. cheers

The 4003 walnut arrived today.. I played my old jetglow for a while before i even touched the walnut just to give it a fair comparison. I expected to make some adjustments but to my surprise it was great straight from the box. The quality control guys must have been on their game as its flawless. I junked the original strings for some extra light guage, set up my gig rig (TC Electronic rh750, rs212 & rs410) & for a brief moment thought I was Bruce Foxton. The sound has a different character to my jetglow, its difficult to explain as I'm not as analytical as some of you guys. In my expirience a bass sound can change depending on the size/shape of the venue you play and I'm pretty sure that where ever you guys play, like me you will be making adjustments to gain, bass, mids & tone to get the right sound. Photo's on the net really dont do it justice. The grain of the walnut is very striking. Clearly this bass isn't to everyones taste just as I have no desire to own a P bass. Its right for me & my style of playing. I'm now off to bury the missus under the patio & claim on the insurance to pay for it..

Ricky.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Back to Bassics' timestamp='1396183867' post='2410691']
Am I the only one here who thinks they are pig ugly?
[/quote]

Well I wouldn't say pig ugly, but I don't like the look either, and I think the 4001/3 is the best looking bass there is. Seems this may be the Ric for people who don't like Rics....

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1397475055' post='2424179']
Well I wouldn't say pig ugly, but I don't like the look either, and I think the 4001/3 is the best looking bass there is. Seems this may be the Ric for people who don't like Rics....
[/quote]

I've got a Jetglo 4003, and like both! They certainly do look somwhat different to a standard 4003 though - mainly because of the maple board.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1397475055' post='2424179']

[/quote]

I would say it was pig ugly, but you know, horses for courses. But as I tried to intimate, it really is a Ric for people who don't like Rics.

you really need to own one to appreciate the differences, as it takes time to find them, the 4003w has a slightly warmer gnarly edge that my 4003 jetglo does not have, my jetglo has the classic ric growl, i think a lot of bass players who don't like ric's will like the walnut.

• 1 year later...

Im kinda GASsing for one of these at the moment. Im feeling it will be the perfect thing for me... a combo of the smooth maple ive got on my Geddy but with the clunk (and I do *love* the VT knob) of my standard 4003/4001 sound.

Any one out there with some good news stories on these? Ive seen the price for the "Dot S" variant come down to about £1499 on most sites now, and I quite like the "Dot S" versions ive played in the past... tempting, for the reasons above and the cost.

As a Ric fan, I love the look of the Walnut/Maple on the body.

But a maple fretboard on a Ric is just plain wrong! :D

I'll stick with my Faker's, at least they seem to be consistent in quality, playability & cost.

Yes, I regret selling my 4003, yes, Ric's are serious Marmite guitars, yes, I would love another Ric and yes, totally agree that if I was to buy another, I would like to sit down with a handful and play them all til I found "the one" (like that's ever going to happen! :D ).

Edited by Skybone