Why become a member? ×

R*ckb*ck*er 4003 Walnut...Ooooh Blimey...

Muzz

[quote name='jonsmith' timestamp='1395071077' post='2398280']
So, has anyone seen these at a particularly competitive price?
[/quote]

I doubt you're going to see any discounts on these, as it's a newly released limited edition colour.

I'd be interested to know if they're in stock anywhere - I suspect Old Horse Murphy has got pretty much the first one in the UK!

Mine's in at GAK, it'll be coming out to me in the next day or so. But they have only got the one...or so I'm told. :D

The competitive price is £1639...everywhere...the traditional Rickenbacker supply and demand... ;)

Looks nice. I've always found the standard mapleglo a bit anaemic so with the contrasting walnut this looks nicer. If I was going to quibble about anything I'd say that with the all maple neck it would have been nicer to have something a little darker for the fret inlays to give that more contrast too.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1395131222' post='2398923']
Mine's in at GAK, it'll be coming out to me in the next day or so. But they have only got the one...or so I'm told. :D

The competitive price is £1639...everywhere...the traditional Rickenbacker supply and demand... ;)
[/quote]

I'm surprised that they are so readily available at any price, given the waiting times for standard Rickenbacker basses in recent years. To give Rickenbacker credit where it is due, there was a period for most of the 1980's where their basses ( and guitars too, I expect) fell out of fashion, and their sales must have suffered, but as a company they just kept doing what they do and making their instruments the same as ever. Now they have come back into fashion they still refuse to compromise, even if it means two year waiting times on some orders.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1395137890' post='2398987']
I think as its limited, that is a good price...eg the normal Ric price...nothing more.

I have my eye on one elsewhere but I'm still not 100% sure I can bond with the ergonomics.
[/quote]

Exactly my problem, Gareth. I love the sound of Rickenbackers, and they are surely one of the most beautiful basses ever in terms of overall design, but I just can't get on with playing them! The lack of taper to the neck feels very weird to someone raised on Fenders, the strings seems to hit the pickup polepieces all the time when I play them, and the action never seems that good on any Ricks that I get to have a on. Definitely a bass that like to be played hard .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1395151790' post='2399215']
Exactly my problem, Gareth. I love the sound of Rickenbackers, and they are surely one of the most beautiful basses ever in terms of overall design, but I just can't get on with playing them! The lack of taper to the neck feels very weird to someone raised on Fenders, the strings seems to hit the pickup polepieces all the time when I play them, and the action never seems that good on any Ricks that I get to have a on. Definitely a bass that like to be played hard .
[/quote]

It's a shame. They are stunning and sound superb. It must be the last of taper...something I could probably get used to but I'm a Stingray/P Bass neck fan through and through.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1395152091' post='2399220']
It's a shame. They are stunning and sound superb. It must be the last of taper...something I could probably get used to but I'm a Stingray/P Bass neck fan through and through.
[/quote]

I think most folks, myself included, would get used to the Rick neck profile if they played it exclusively, but switching from a Fender/MM ect will feel pretty weird to the majority of players , I think.

I have heard varying reports on Basschat about the construction quality of Rickenbacker basses , with some people having various issues with new basses they have bought, but I had previously always been under the impression that Rickenbackers were a high quality guitar.

Edited by Dingus

I used to have strong principles where neck profiles were concerned (The slimmer/thinner the better - my first forays into modding were to put Jazz necks on my Precisions), then I started using basses where the overall experience made the neck profile a secondary issue (like my Dingwall), and now I rarely notice - my Wishbass is an extreme example: it's got a neck like a tree trunk, but I love playing it.

As far as QC on this bass is concerned, I'll be all over it as soon as it hits, and if it isn't 100% right it'll be going back like a boomerang.

I have high hopes, however, I shall keep everyone updated.

Well, Forsyths in Manchester had one in stock when I visited this morning, and it was so nice I had to pull the trigger! Will have to sell something else now to cover it, given the strict one in / one out policy Mrs 1964 has imposed on bass purchases :lol:

FWIW, they told me they have got four on order, and seem confident they'll shift the lot

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1395159536' post='2399323']
Congrats to Muzz and simon, enjoy :gas:
[/quote]

A big +1 on that.

These look to be really lovely basses that will no doubt become collectible in years to come, and I am looking forward to hearing first-hand what they are like.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1395163845' post='2399376']
Pics and reports pleaseeee!

[/quote]

Pics to follow!

Report wise, I've had a decent play since I got home, and initial impression is very favourable.

I know Rics have a reputation for variable QC, but the finish on this one is immaculate. They look stunning in the flesh.

Tone wise, it's very similar to my current '98 4003. The bridge pickup is classic Ric growl and clank. Roll the treble off and you get a very versatile tone - not unlike a good Precision. The neck pickup is the typical Ric neck thump sound. And the neck pickup is a bit lower output - again typical Ric in my experience. But personally I only ever use the bridge pickup!

The tone is possibly marginally brighter than my old Ric - although I suspect that is down to age of the strings more than anything else.

The neck is fantastic IMO. No taper, of course, so won't be to everyone's taste. Quite chunky, but it fits my hands really well (I can never get on with skinny Jazz necks!). The frets are finished superbly, and this one came really well set up (which I guess is down to Forsyths, who always seem to have their instruments set up nicely).

The only down side is that our gig on Saturday has just cancelled, so it will be another week before I can try it out in anger!

Edited by simon1964

Rehearsal last night was great :)

The bass is a lovely light weight and very comfortable to play. The neck is chunky but not as bad as some P basses I've played and the lack of taper is soon unnoticeable.

I restrung it with TI's and got the action nice and low. There is quite a difference in pickup output volume, so I lowered the bridge pickup and it's much much better. It has that gorgeous Rickenbacker "fizz" you get with both pickups turned on full and the tone on too.

I agree with Simon: the finish is spotless and the wood used is wonderful in the flesh.

Very happy indeed :)

Ok, well, I've just received mine...and I don't like it.

To qualify - it looks absolutely gorgeous, it's faultlessly made, the woods and construction are as good as anything I've come across, but I'm not going to be able to live with it.

I'm absolutely gutted.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1395343606' post='2401437']
Ok, well, I've just received mine...and I don't like it.

To qualify - it looks absolutely gorgeous, it's faultlessly made, the woods and construction are as good as anything I've come across, but I'm not going to be able to live with it.

I'm absolutely gutted.
[/quote]

Very sorry to hear you aren't getting on with the Rick, Muzz.

Are you sure you're nut being a bit too hasty to judge? I've been in exactly the situation with basses I have bought sight-unseen, and some of them have grown on me over time, to the extent that I wouldn't part with them now.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1395347786' post='2401498']

Are you sure you're nut being a bit too hasty to judge? I've been in exactly the situation with basses I have bought sight-unseen, and some of them have grown on me over time, to the extent that I wouldn't part with them now.
[/quote]

+1
My first 4003 went back after 2 weeks because I didn't get on with it (ie. it was too different from my Fenders/Musicmen...). A couple of years on and I acquired the same bass via a convoluted route. It's not my go to bass but I do love it on those 'special occasion' gigs.

Hi everyone, Love Ric's they always seem to grab people's attention, people either love or hate them, can anyone tell me if recently they also released a limited edition colour called 'snow glow" did read an article on this, but have not heard or seen anything since??? cheers

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1395347786' post='2401498']

[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm positive. The ergonomics just don't work for me as a pick player - that top edge was cutting into the inside of my right arm within seconds, and the pickup sounds are just...well, they're not what I like to hear. Not for me, and far too expensive to have hanging around in the hope that I might somehow change my mind. Ho hum.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1395356312' post='2401654']

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm positive. The ergonomics just don't work for me as a pick player - that top edge was cutting into the inside of my right arm within seconds, and the pickup sou
[/quote]

That's interesting. The Rick bass came to prominence mainly being played by pick players and when I used them, that was how I played also. I found them less useful as I moved across to fingerstyle.
If you have always played Fender style basses, the Rick will feel very foreign but by fiddling about with strap height etc. I'm sure you'd be able to find a comfortable position for pick style playing but you're right about the tonality. They sound very different to any Fender type bass and that's something that you just have to accept and work with. For certain scenarios they really work very well but they are certainly not a universal bass in the way of a Fender P or J.

Cheers

Ed