Why become a member? ×

Design your new Fender.

bubinga5

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1394985299' post='2397373']
Given it a bash, it's quite a cool concept, but to echo someone else's point from earlier in the thread there are only a few finishes available that aren't already available in Fender's standard range. I would love to see them broaden colour palette.
[/quote]

Fender specifically keep a lot of their most appealing colours for special editions and Custom Shop creations. It is very conspicuous that they don't offer colours like Fiesta Red, Firemist Gold, Sea Foam Green[i] et al[/i] for the American Standard range and similar work-a-day models. Fender aren't daft , and use customer's desire for those colour options to act as an incentive towards their more upmarket models.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1394985806' post='2397381']
Fender specifically keep a lot of their most appealing colours for special editions and Custom Shop creations. It is very conspicuous that they don't offer colours like Fiesta Red, Firemist Gold, Sea Foam Green[i] et al[/i] for the American Standard range and similar work-a-day models. Fender aren't daft , and use customer's desire for those colour options to act as an incentive towards their more upmarket models.
[/quote]

That seems to be very naïve on Fender's part. Since Fender instruments are so easy to dis-assemble, buying one in any colour and then getting the body resprayed the colour you want is going to fairly trivial and probably quite a bit less than the price difference that Fender charge for their more "upmarket" models.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1394987209' post='2397407']
That seems to be very naïve on Fender's part. Since Fender instruments are so easy to dis-assemble, buying one in any colour and then getting the body resprayed the colour you want is going to fairly trivial and probably quite a bit less than the price difference that Fender charge for their more "upmarket" models.
[/quote]

On the face of things, yes, it's not an insurmountable problem , but it is always detrimental to resale values to refinish any USA -made Fender.

Implicitly though, you have hit on the Big Question regarding Fender as a whole, which is, why, if everybody likes the old ones, don't they just make them like that now? A Fender bass is a pretty simple and straightforward instrument when all is said and done, and the idea that there something so precious that has been lost in the mists of time between 1965 and the present that means that the older onesl have an unrepeatable magic that cannot be recreated seems just plain ridiculous to me. If Fender revived what was so appealing and what has become so sought-after from their American Standard ranges of yesteryear , not least of all the colour choices, then I am sure that they would be fighting customers off with an unhygienically soiled stick.

Edited by Dingus

It is far too limited to be of any real use, or much fun. No choice in terms of bridge, hardware colour, control knobs, types of inlays. Choosing one option often means that one of your other options is automatically changed. Also, no natural finish choice, which means that you can't really see any difference between ash and alder. Fender might as well have just put a catalogue of the different finishes and left it at that.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1394989679' post='2397442']
Here is my ideal Fender!

[/quote]

Which makes the old adage that the bolt-on neck makes fixing damaged necks far simpler and easier a complete lie. As you can see the body has taken just as much damage (if not more) as the neck so you might as well throw the whole bass in the bin and get a new one.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1394989403' post='2397439']

On the face of things, yes, it's not an insurmountable problem , but it is always detrimental to resale values to refinish any USA -made Fender.

Implicitly though, you have hit on the Big Question regarding Fender as a whole, which is, why, if everybody likes the old ones, don't they just make them like that now? A Fender bass is a pretty simple and straightforward instrument when all is said and done, and the idea that there something so precious that has been lost in the mists of time between 1965 and the present that means that the older onesl have an unrepeatable magic that cannot be recreated seems just plain ridiculous to me. If Fender revived what was so appealing and what has become so sought-after from their American Standard ranges of yesteryear , not least of all the colour choices, then I am sure that they would be fighting customers off with an unhygienically soiled stick.
[/quote]

Dont the American Vintage range and the new lacquer Classic Series Mexican basses accommodate for those customers?

As for the refinishing that BigRedX mentioned, I think the main reason most people don't just buy a standard and have it resprayed is out of fear. They are scared of affecting resale value, they're scared that they don't understand how to do a respray and scared that if they pay someone to do it, it might ruin the instrument.

I bought my YOB bass knowing it would be staying with me but wasn't the colour I wanted. I bought it knowing it would be refinished to the colour scheme I wanted and I did it but even I had those fears creeping in despite buying it with the intention of changing it. It's a natural fear I think we all have when spending a big sum of money I think.

Edited by skej21

I find all this fear of affecting the value of the instruments a bit perplexing.

Partly because if I bought a bass and it was stunning in every aspect except the finish, I would have no hesitation in sending it off to be professionally done the colour I wanted it. In fact I have already done this with a bass which was worth a lot more than the average US-made Fender. I've also considered having the paddle headstock on my Warwick Star Bass reshaped into something more aesthetically pleasing and it's only the lack of spare cash that's stopped me so far.

And secondly in real terms compared with the synthesisers I was buying in the 80s nearly all bass guitars are very cheap, and even back then I had no hesitation in customising or modifying far more expensive and more complex pieces of musical equipment.

IMO if you're always looking at the resale value of your gear, unless you are very lucky you will never be completely happy with the instrument and you will end up selling it in the never-ending search for "the one".

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1394997666' post='2397590']
I find all this fear of affecting the value of the instruments a bit perplexing.

Partly because if I bought a bass and it was stunning in every aspect except the finish, I would have no hesitation in sending it off to be professionally done the colour I wanted it. In fact I have already done this with a bass which was worth a lot more than the average US-made Fender. I've also considered having the paddle headstock on my Warwick Star Bass reshaped into something more aesthetically pleasing and it's only the lack of spare cash that's stopped me so far.

And secondly in real terms compared with the synthesisers I was buying in the 80s nearly all bass guitars are very cheap, and even back then I had no hesitation in customising or modifying far more expensive and more complex pieces of musical equipment.

IMO if you're always looking at the resale value of your gear, unless you are very lucky you will never be completely happy with the instrument and you will end up selling it in the never-ending search for "the one".
[/quote]

Not everyone has that opinion though. You'd be amazed how many people come into my local music shop asking the shop to restring a guitar or even TUNE it because they're scared they'll do it wrong. Imagine those people contemplating a refinish and you can understand how companies like fender can easily manipulate the market as discussed.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1394998049' post='2397599']
Not everyone has that opinion though. You'd be amazed how many people come into my local music shop asking the shop to restring a guitar or even TUNE it because they're scared they'll do it wrong. Imagine those people contemplating a refinish and you can understand how companies like fender can easily manipulate the market as discussed.
[/quote]

But those people most likely aren't too bothered if they can't buy a guitar exactly the colour they want.

All the regular posters on here should know of at least a couple of companies/people who'll do a professional job refinishing their bass if they felt that they weren't up to the task themselves.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1394998457' post='2397609']
All the regular posters on here should know of at least a couple of companies/people who'll do a professional job refinishing their bass if they felt that they weren't up to the task themselves.
[/quote]

That would be an interesting poll. I know when I had my refinish done by Howard, there weren't too many options I could think of to choose from in that area of the UK.

This is pointless. Just open all the options up or I'm not interested. If I can't get a precision with black blocks I'm not interested. They only do one (some 70's reissue), but the nut width is thinner than usual so no dice there Mr Fender. Plus the fact that it is £900 for a MIM bass they can poke that. I think that if I were going to ever get a precision I'd get one from Warmoth.

Couldn't make mine ...

Mike Dirnt Bass Maple / Rosewood Neck . Vintage tint . Cream dots .
Ash 50's Body . With contours .
Humbucker in 72 Telecaster Bass position
58 pickups in usual place !
Fiesta Red
72 (?) Style Tort guard
Hi Mass Bridge
Through body option for Strings
Stack Knobs
Jack on edge of body
Vintage tuners
Brass nut

Not too much to ask is it …??? :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1394987209' post='2397407']
[/quote]

Yes, but that would still make the standard models rather more expensive, considering a good quality refinish costs in the hundreds of quid range, and then if you add that to the depreciation in resale value that the refinish inevitably causes then it makes no sense to take that course of action, unless the colour is incredibly important to you and you want to throw money away on a whim. I would argue that it is possibly quite savvy by Fender to recognize the commercial potential of their typically most desirable finishes, but at the same time I wonder if it would be more profitable to make those colours available for the intermediate priced basses and sell those instruments in greater volume as a result.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1394997666' post='2397590']

[/quote]

What you or anyone else chooses to do with their own property is, of course, entirely their own affair, but surely you can see that your attitude and approach is not typical, BRX. You have a rather idiosyncratic aesthetic ideal in comparison to most folks on Basschat, myself included, and also a far more cavalier attitude to making such alterations to your gear . Your Warwick Star Bass is a perfect example of this, because to myself and most other folks I suspect, that bass is absolutely beautiful just as it is, and suits you very well . I am amazed and even a bit upset that you think that headstock is ungainly and can be "improved" in some way by alteration. To me and nearly everybody else that is an act of vandalism.

I suppose it's also important to recognize that, reading between the lines, men like you and I probably have a lot more disposable income to spend on basses and other such fripperies than most other folks,not least of all because we don't have children and all the financial responsibilities that come with them .To the vast majority, any bass is a significantly costly purchase that they want to get the maximum value for money from, both in terms of purchase price and resale value. In light of that, it's not surprising that people don't want to buy a bass and then spends more money on it taking a course of action that ultimately decreases the potential value in the long-term.

Edited by Dingus