Why become a member? ×

Genuine Fender Neck?

Clarky72

Is this genuine Fender?

The seller tells me he bought it from Fender US just over 10 years ago. He tells me that back then Fender didn't sell replacement necks with logos without proof of ownership, serial no etc. and that's why there's no logo on the headstock.

The fact that there are no markings whatsoever makes me think it may possibly be a non-brand cheapo, plus at the moment Fender only sell dot marker necks, no blocks and binding necks. He has no receipts or paperwork to prove its Fender, so I'm hesitant to part with any cash yet.

Any Fender experts out there in BC world care to cast an eye over this?

It's definitely pretty, but it could be pretty useless...

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1393430392' post='2380219']
These are the only pics I can get from the guy. I was wondering what the heel looks like too to check it out properly. It just feels a bit suspect so far...
[/quote]
If seller doesn't want to provide those extra pics then that's reason for suspicion.

It's odds on that's not a Fender neck.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1393450334' post='2380569']
If it was a genuine blocked & bound fender I'd expect to see a bullet truss rod adjuster at the headstock end - not a x-slotted adjuster at the heel end. I think this is most likely an allparts and if so will have 'licensed by fender' on it (unless it has been removed)
[/quote]
Long time, no see.

Welcome back. :)

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1393450334' post='2380569']
If it was a genuine blocked & bound fender I'd expect to see a bullet truss rod adjuster at the headstock end - not a x-slotted adjuster at the heel end. I think this is most likely an allparts and if so will have 'licensed by fender' on it (unless it has been removed)
[/quote]
Pre-1974 would have looked like this, hence the Allparts ones follow that model.
This looks identical to my Allparts neck, and would indeed cost around 500 new. But a Fender it ain't...

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1393481149' post='2380744']
£500

That would put me off anything regardless where it's made and buy whom. You can get a fender US replacement neck for a lot than that new.
[/quote]

+1
£500 for a ten year old neck that may or may not be genuine from a seller who is reluctant to send more pics? I think you know what to do ;-)

Even after charges, surely this would be much cheaper, and guaranteed quality:
http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?Bass=1&Body=1&Spotlight=1&Path=Spotlight&i=BN4361

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1393482530' post='2380748']

+1
£500 for a ten year old neck that may or may not be genuine from a seller who is reluctant to send more pics? I think you know what to do ;-)

Even after charges, surely this would be much cheaper, and guaranteed quality:
http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?Bass=1&Body=1&Spotlight=1&Path=Spotlight&i=BN4361
[/quote]

I'm looking at warmoths stock ATM too, and and few things are pretty cheap, if you are willing to pay the postage and customs.

[quote name='gruffers' timestamp='1393489422' post='2380793']

Nah, that has truss adjust at the headstock, the OP's neck has truss adjust at the heel.
[/quote]
Yeah I realise that, the point being I could say this was a fender neck and try and sell it.

Exactly. If it was a genuine Fender in that format then I would be tempted as I'd rather have Fender over a licensed neck and not everyone makes blocks and markers necks. I think I'll go with Warmoth as they can do a slim 70s taper as well as blocks and bindings. Its just a pain with the shipping and customs charges!

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1393490014' post='2380798']
Exactly. If it was a genuine Fender in that format then I would be tempted as I'd rather have Fender over a licensed neck and not everyone makes blocks and markers necks. I think I'll go with Warmoth as they can do a slim 70s taper as well as blocks and bindings. Its just a pain with the shipping and customs charges!
[/quote]

Even with shipping and customs on top it's still a decent price, especially as you get to choose a pretty exacting spec, and it's quality product. The only down side is resell price for warmoth stuff isn't very good, but I'm at the stage now where I want to buy something that will last me.

[color=#222222]I got an Allparts licensed neck a couple of years back through eBay. RW, blocks & bound and it came in at just over £220 all in. It's been rock solid, and once I'd played it for a while I had Chris Macintyre re-shape it ever-so slightly to give it a profile more like the Fender Japan 75 RI’s. Feels great, plays lovely. For putting on a Bitsa bass, I can’t think of a better option.[/color]

When Fender used to sell necks they always had the decals on as far as I can remember. They then decided to only sell replacement necks as part of paid replacements and Fender would do the work themselves to ensure that the old neck was disposed of and didnt make its way back into the chain.

Its now possible to buy Fender necks again, although I think these are all Mexican made. Stringsdirect and Allparts would sell them.

You can get a brand new Fender USA Standard neck for £379: http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/p/920393/fender-american-medium-jumbo-maple-jazz-bass-neck/

Or a MIM for £189: http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/p/920455/fender-mexican-medium-jumbo-maple-jazz-bass-neck/