Why become a member? ×

Imminent amp purchase, opinions sought

eddies left thumb

I found myself in the position of buying a new bass rig. I've tried and settled on a Eden XLT 4x10 cab.

What are the collective thoughts on an amp to power it as it 700w cab. Also do I go 4 or 8 ohm.

The obvious choice would be the eden wt800 and a 8ohm. Anyone any other recomendations i should look at.

I've had Ampeg svt-4 (wasn't impressed all weight and no go)
I've also had a ashdown abm500 which was great but I fancy a change.

So what would complement and drive properly a 700w XLT 4x10.

Opinions from XLT owner to be highly appreciated.

Cheers :)

Well... having been looking seriously at a Streamliner 900 and having read billions of posts both here and on TB about it, I'd recommend that! Even though I've not even heard one or played through one myself!! :D

Though it does of course depend on what you're looking for and what sort of music you'll be playing.

Edited by discreet

The XLT is a good cab, but the weight would put me off these days.

Try a wanted ad for a WT800. One may come up and will sound great with that cab.

Or I'd buy one of the Aguilar TH500's in the FS section. I used a TH500 with an Eden 410 in January and it sounded great.

Had a Streamliner 600 and very nice amp if you like that warm valve sound.
I changed because i wanted more flex with my amp and a bit more power playing in a classic rock band.

I now run a Gallien Krueger 1001RBi but its by far the loudest amp i have tried and probably the smaller 700 would have been a more sensible choice.
It goes from clean to growl with ease and not overly expensive either for what you get.

Could try Orange Terror series of amps. They seem to get good reviews altho a bit limiting tonally.

I use Bergantino cabs of varying types.

Dave

I love the orange amps but not for what I doing. Think I'll try out the gallien Kruger, the guy from Chic uses on with a eden cab so could be a good match. I can tell I've not been in the market for amps for a few years, I've never heard of Tecuma. I feel a trip down south coming on to search out some to try. Thanks for the ideas