Why become a member? ×

The BRITs 2014

xilddx

I watched a bit of it - you could smell the reek of desperation through the telly. Some of it was toe curlingly embarrassing,
Nile Rogers is pretty cool though. I think I saw his " Who is this fanny?" thought bubble when James Corden was not being hysterically funny chatting to him .

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1392889164' post='2373773']
just to see what everybody is bleating on about having not watched the brits i decided to search it on youtube

i made it to 1:40

tis one thing to sing with such style (or affectation if you prefer) but regardless of her unique err style, her delivery comes across as weak and lame possibly overawed by the occasions and the expectation to deliver imho ymmv mcton etc etc

as an aside. not being one to personally dabble in the vocal arts these days, does a vocal style like that present issues with autotune?

[media]http://youtu.be/jXaEzy5VwDc[/media]
[/quote]

I have no idea who this lass is so thought I'd watch the clip just to see for myself - I managed all of 29 seconds before I had to turn it off. My colleagues were looking at me rather oddly while I was screwing my face up and laughing!

Just watched a bit of it on YouTube. Well, when I say a bit of it, I mean the bits that I know would have interested me. Hey, lets face it, I am at work so watching the complete show would be taking the mick ;)

Anyway, thought the Pharrell Williams / Nile Rodgers collaboration was suitably brilliant pop music. IMHO, anything that Nile does is always pretty special so I guess that's already a given.

However, What I absolutely loved was Bruno Mars doing "Trevor". Again, top class pop music, a great performance by a talented performer and band and man oh man, Jamareo Artis is SUCH a great player. On the outro, the band stretch out a bit and he's throwing in some really cute lines but never sacrificing the song. Genius bass'ing there by the lad.

Edited by tonyf

Okay, I just watched the above video & will admit that probably wasn't her best performance but I do feel she's a genuinely talented artist (though not actually to my tastes) that has developed her career very well & in the right way.

Shame about the other 99% of our day time radio!

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1392903471' post='2373961']
Okay, I just watched the above video & will admit that probably wasn't her best performance but I do feel she's a genuinely talented artist (though not actually to my tastes) that has developed her career very well & in the right way.

Shame about the other 99% of our day time radio!
[/quote]

isnt it just! out of sheer desperation (and possibly a sign of old age) i now tune to radio 4 during the daytime :crazy:

James Cordon was on radio 2 yesterday morning saying he wasn't going to do it again. He essentially said the space has no atmosphere. It doesn't really matter how funny you try to be everything just falls flat. I think the fear showed in his face. He knew the burning arm thing wouldn't work.

The whole thing is stage managed very poorly, no one seems to know what's going on.

I suspect half the floor is full of celebs on their best behaviour but trying to be edgy and the other half is full of their yes men.

^ It's a strange mix of crowd in there because the screaming fans that stand at the front (I didn't watch it at all this year so the crowds might be different now) are paying music fans like any gig, but all the round tables (that take up most of the room) are all music company bought so everyone around them is just concentrating on looking "cool" & getting drunk, not really interesting in the show.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1392903674' post='2373966']
isnt it just! out of sheer desperation (and possibly a sign of old age) i now tune to radio 4 during the daytime :crazy:
[/quote]

Desperation? Old Age? Shame on you!

I'll have you know that R4 is the dogs doo-dahs of intelligent broadcasting. Where else can you hear programmes about the lives of contemporary scientists (The Life Scientific), sociological issues (Thinking Allowed), ruminations on the nature of statistics (More Or Less ), environmental issues (Costing The Earth), arts and culture reviews (Front Row, ), moral issues (The Moral Maze), all manner of history (In Our Time), as well as the usual plays and comedy, news and in-depth analysis.

And that's without all the regular music programmes. One about 12-bar Blues already this week and an hour-long appreciation of the life and music of Pete Seger tomorrow at 9pm.

I may be old, but there's no desperation about my wall-to-wall R4 around the house. Give it a fair try and you may never buy a television licence ever again.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1392905227' post='2373992']
I suspect half the floor is full of celebs on their best behaviour but trying to be edgy and the other half is full of their yes men.
[/quote]

and the only vaguely naughty thing being the two paddypower hired stooges in their green underpants? or were there others?

shame that rock and roll cant even give us another jarvis cocker to pull a moon at one of the über famous attendees :ph34r:

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1392905227' post='2373992']James Cordon was on radio 2 yesterday morning saying he wasn't going to do it again... It doesn't really matter how funny you try to be everything just falls flat.[/quote]

Sums up James Corden really, it doesnt matter how funny he tries to be, everything just falls flat.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1392908217' post='2374050']
Let's face it, those on the Brits make a living playing music/creating/singing. I'd sell out in a flash if I could do it for a living and make real money from it.
[/quote]

Who performed on last nights show? The vast majority are actually on terrible money when you look at the deals long term. Though yes, I'm sure most of us would love to be on the mega bucks from music (I certainly would).

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1392905227' post='2373992']
James Cordon was on radio 2 yesterday morning saying he wasn't going to do it again. He essentially said the space has no atmosphere. It doesn't really matter how funny you try to be everything just falls flat. I think the fear showed in his face. He knew the burning arm thing wouldn't work.

The whole thing is stage managed very poorly, no one seems to know what's going on.

[/quote]

James Corden isn't funny no matter what the space, did anybody else notice the first swear word appeared 20 seconds after the watershed? edgy indeed.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1392909708' post='2374070']

James Corden isn't funny no matter what the space, ...
[/quote]

Regardless of the celebrity hosting it. I don't think I've seen one where the host hasn't looked incredibly nervous. Even And and Dec or Chis Evans who should have been in their element.

No one seems to know what's going on or exactly what the role of the host seems to be.

Could be a lot slicker when you see what other awards ceremonies do.