Why become a member? ×

Alembic SC 'Brown Bass' , * SOLD *
£3000

Clarky

Looking to sell my 2007 Alembic Brown Bass. These are rare as hen's teeth in Europe - I know as it took me best part of a year to track mine down (I ended up importing it from Australia) - and are effectively an homage to Stanley Clarke's original 1970s Alembic bass. However, after the initial thrill and honeymoon period I am finding I simply prefer to pick up my long scale Jazz bass. The Brown Bass' tiny neck (30.75" scale length and 'Stanley taper' 1.5" nut width) was fun for a while and very different to any thing I had experienced but now - despite my left hand problems (or maybe because of them?) - I prefer my left hand to be a little less cramped. Also, at 9.8 pounds its a tad heavier than is ideal for me.

In short its an utter thing of beauty with the most wonderful figured walnut but I don't really want the bass to be a beautiful objet, I want to play it and unfortunately I am just heading straight to my 34" scale Fender :( Perhaps its just the familiarity of having played this type of bass for 30 years. For full disclosure there is one small dink in the forearm playing area which can be seen in the pics, otherwise wonderful condition. Also the switch for the red LED side dots is quirky - to switch them on you click it down and then pull it back a fraction of a cm (this is not uncommon on Alembics I am told and doesn't bother most people)

The bass cost me just over £3k to get into the country and that is about half the new price for those rare occasions when Station Music in Germany gets one in. Comes with a hard case with an Alembic plaque on side (which I assume means its the original). Looking to sell for £3000 plus post. No trades please

Pic below. PM me for more. Also here is the eBay ad for the bass in Australia with some pics (I have cleaned up the brass since then and waxed it properly) [url="http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALEMBIC-stanley-clarke-BROWN-BASS-/161154387667?pt=AU_Audio_CDs&hash=item25858cced3&nma=true&si=jWd8vO2G52qqA2h5wWXmPz6Yt6E%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_82wt_1399"]http://www.ebay.com....57#ht_82wt_1399[/url]

Edited by Clarky

I have one of these as Clarky notes - if this were not the case, Clarky's advert would have realised a sale within the first thirty seconds of its appearance. I'm not at a keyboard now, however, if this bass is still around when I get to one, I'll offer a full opinion.

For now, an instrument worthy of all the superlatives that tend to receive liberal application whenever something like this appears. Supremely playable (for me, the tiniest, most beautiful neck available), the finest build anywhere, and an extraordinary fat, organic and focused tone. I haven't played and can't imagine a better instrument (for me, obviously).

At this price, the bass is a bargain. Yes, I know that it's well beyond the reach of many of those who'd love to own it, but if you're serious about an Alembic short-scale, just try to find another at anything close to this price. One of the world's ultimate instruments for half the price of a decent second hand saloon. Stay in more.

I love the understated beauty of this bass and would be sorely tempted if it wasn't for the fact that I've made my mind up that the next one for me, funds allowing will be a series I or II shorty. You are correct about the side LED switches I have one on my black europa and it is the same, you have to jiggle the switch to get it to come on but turning off is no problem. :-)

Sorry to hear you have not found it to your liking. You certainly have given alembic a fair in recent years so I hope you find a keen buyer.
Jazzyvee

Thanks jazzyvee, I REALLY was excited about getting this bass but ultimately the ergonomics for my left hand just aren't right. The tone is fabulous and the build quality is second to none. It plays so fast as well. However, at 50 years of age, I've played Fender type basses all my adult life and have to concede that this leopard can't change his spots. My Jazz bass is like a pair of comfy slippers and I find it so easy to pick up and get straight away into playing 'my way' (not the Sinatra song!)

Edited by Clarky

Hi Jake you may be confusing this with the SC signature models? The Brown Bass comes as standard with pick up selector dial and Anniversary electronics (similar to a Series 1), you can see the differences in the BassCentral SC page http://www.basscentral.com/alembicbass/stanley.shtml

Edited by Clarky