Why become a member? ×

Let's compare sizes....

Dom in Dorset

Rehearsals normally used a GB Streamliner with 2 112ae cabs. Lightweight and valve pre-amp.
For gigs with 5 piece rock covers band i used GB STL 600 with Berg HT322 (heavy beast 1x12, 2x10 & horn) and warwick IV into the 2 112 cabs (drummer used these as monitors to hear bass as they are rear ported) Normally larger gigs.

Nowadays i have same cabs but with Gallien Kreuger 1001RBi for large gigs and smaller MB200 for small gigs and rehearsals.

Dave

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1392067414' post='2364383']
I use a Carvin BX 500 head into a single 1x12 Purple Chili cab. Would quite like a second matching can (well, not matching, would quite like the vinyl to stay on the next one)! Haven't had to turn master above 3 yet but would still like to hear a second cab running.
[/quote]

If you are ever in Weymouth you are welcome to try my one.

[quote name='Jonny Walker' timestamp='1392133826' post='2365140']
i know its the trend to get tiny lightweight cabs but i really don't see a problem having a big rig ... wish people would man up a bit!
[/quote]

I am going to print this post and mail it to you in thirty years time. See if you still feel the same way then! :D

There was a time when I used to [i][b]look forward[/b][/i] to lugging my two Trace cabs out of a gig (both at around 45kg) - one in each hand! :) Not now though... :(

1 x 15 combo coupled with a 2 x 10 extension cab, could happily rehearse with just the combo if one of two guitarists realised volume is self-defeating!!!

For home practice it's the Ashdown emulator on Ampkit and a set of headphones or GarageBand and a sub/satellite setup

Edited by DaytonaRik

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1392059601' post='2364233']
Mine is 0mm x 0mm x 0mm
[/quote]
That would make it a singularity. Whatever you do, don't assign any mass to it - if you do, it will rapidly turn into a black hole and consume the entire planet :o

For home practice I have a little 25W Marshall 1x10 combo sat on top of a chest of drawers in my 'office/music room' (ie the third bedroom that's naff all use for anything else). It's getting abit old now but still does a job, not sure if they make them any more.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1392217804' post='2366068']

I am going to print this post and mail it to you in thirty years time. See if you still feel the same way then!
[/quote]

i only have a big rig when i know people (particularly the drummer) will help lug things around, in which case my back would still be going strong in x years. p.s. carrying a 45kg cab in each hand is just idiotic unless your an Olympic body builder or there's a honey bager coming...

[quote name='Jonny Walker' timestamp='1392386188' post='2368015']
carrying a 45kg cab in each hand is just idiotic unless your an Olympic body builder or there's a honey bager coming...
[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by "honey bager"... but I was quite a big lad in those days. The "idiot" bit I'll leave for others to comment upon. :unsure:

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1392023416' post='2363580']
...Of amps used for gigging
I remember my first Bass Bash, everyone set up huge stacks around the room and there I stood with my Laney RB7 300W 2X10 combo feeling a little small.
I'm not in a load band , I rarely use it to it's full potential. Bigger venues I've played DI it , I wouldn't mind adding a 15" cab to it for extra lows but I could live without it.
Anyone use anything smaller?Or do you have a big one ?(ooh er)
[/quote]
How do you know a 1x15 will give you extra lows? If you want extra lows, get a sub.