Why become a member? ×

Coincidences: My first bass.

loula

[quote name='loula' timestamp='1391387840' post='2356691']
Jon - I'm certainly hoping that's the case! If you see one, let me know. Please!

[/quote]
If you delve into the darker corners of the Market Place, there's an Ebay section which has a stickied topic called "JapCrap Spotting". The title's tongue-in-cheek rather than denigratory - most Japanese instruments from the mid 70s onwards are top quality, and this is where a dedicated team of [s]pikeys and gyppos[/s] sorry, I meant "knowledgeable, dedicated researchers and enthusiasts" ferret out obscure and often desireable vintage Japanese basses. Keep an eye on this thread and you'll likely end up with half a dozen peculiar and near-unique old basses and a lot less money. And one of them might even be a Rail!

If I spot one elsewhere, I'll let you know.

J.

One of the few basses I ever regret selling was my old Thunder 1A, superb guitars that carried an amazing punch (though weighed a fair bit IIRC!).

Loads of Matsumoku info & forum here: [url][url="http://www.matsumoku.org/guitars.html"]http://www.matsumoku.org/guitars.html[/url][/url] - Mainly Aria Pro II info, but links to a Westone specific site.

My second ever bass was a Westone Raider (in black & red). Nice bass, but a bit too much 80's garishness going on! :D

Edited by Skybone

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1391373350' post='2356469']
If only. They were wayyyyy too expensive for me when I started out - a Kay EB-0 copy with higher action than scale length was my limits.
[/quote]
^ This ^ - followed by a "Franconia" jazz copy

Dad3353 - thanks for the welcome! I am totally new to this so your advice is well received. Cheers!
RhysP - I was pleased with it :) there's a picture below.
Dom_in_somerset - See picture below, what do you think?
OldG - I was pleasantly surprised when I realised what it was I'd just bought :)
CamdenRob - Surely you can justify buying one for £40 ;)
iconic - :D :D :D
Jon - Awesome, thanks for the pointer. Will keep an eye on it and fingers crossed :lol:
SlapbassSteve - I've had one successful band practice so far - great fun.
Skybone - If I find myself a Rail, you're welcome to my thunder!! I would be soooo tempted by a Raider; I don't mind a bit of 80s garishness :i-m_so_happy:
Norris - For my £40 I was expecting an Argos special, or even a bass from Lidl. Just lucky I guess.

There's a Westone Quantum that's just been listed on eBay... [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westone-quantum-bass-guitar-/251444143432?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3a8b3d2548"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a8b3d2548[/url]

Edited by chaypup

My first bass was a Thunder I - wish I still had it as it was a great bass. If you're interested at some point in a Quantum feel free to send me a message. I've got one sat in its case that comes to and from gigs with me but never gets played. Anyway, enjoy your Thunder!

Oh no! Chaypup, that is very tempting :sorry: but what if I get it and then a Rail comes up for sale and I've don;t have enough to buy it?! I am bad at decision making...
Darkheart - I have heard good things about the Quantum. Part of what's making it so hard to choose whether to hold out for a Rail or not.

Ooooh Mokl that's also very tempting! Although I'm left with the same dilemma as with the one listed on ebay... My Thunder does play nicely (says she with little experience of what playing nicely or badly would be like) but I really really need something less weighty... Like a Quantum :blush: but the Rail! Ugh. Is indecision a female thing...?

go for the Quantum, rails go for a lot more (when you can find one) and this one still has the original gig bag, the rail at the end of the day is a quantum with one sliding pup. If you go for the quantum one piece of advice would be to put a strap button under the top pointy bit rather than on the neckplate, they hang fantastically well when its there.

Having read this inspired me to play the Quantum for a bit this afternoon. It really is an easy playing and great sounding bass, as was my Thunder. It's pretty impossible to play it without a strap though. I have tried a Rail but not for some years; it certainly was different in terms of looks etc but I must say I found that the moving pickup didn't affect the sound as much as I was expecting it to. Still, if you manage to find one at the right price you are unlikely to lose money on it if you don't get on with it and decide to sell it on. Good luck in your search for one :-)

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1392633453' post='2370767']
Sacrilege! Be gone from this place foul heathen. :lol:

Joking aside, it's your bass, you can do what you like with it! Westone basses are hardly collectors pieces, there are plenty around. On one condition though, you must start a build diary thread with lots of pictures. :)[/quote]

Actually, there is the inklings of a minor collectors market for the MIJ Matsumoku built instruments, like the Westones & Aria Pro's. Mainly nostalgia driven by folk who used to own such instruments, who have then traded up and regretted selling their "Jap Crap", because they were so good. You just have to look at the collectors of "vintage" Ibanez and the like from the late 70's. Although they're not as "desirable" as say a 50's/60's Gibson or Fender, but they're still relatively sought after by people who value decent, well made instruments that have stood the test of time.

So yes, someone probably would cry if the bass got chopped up, and it's most likely the chopper-upper, because they realise they've completely ruined the resale value of a good instrument.

Just my tuppence ha'pennies worth. :)