Why become a member? ×

Non invasive thumbrest mounting

Les

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1392379135' post='2367900']
It looks like your all sorted but if your really stuck let me know and I could get them made again for you :) A
[/quote]

ah, here's the man who copied my original one in aluminium... (again, thank you! :)) I've had lots of people asking me about the thumbrests.
I'm alright with the ones you made for me, they should last me for a lifetime (unless I get a bigger place so that I can store more bases :P) even after I gave a few away.
But I'd love a handful of black plastic ones.... Hopefully Diablo will sort this out and we don't need to bother you again... but if that fails and you're willing... ;)

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1392386547' post='2368026']
BTW what news on the control plate? Ever get that finished?
[/quote]

:unsure: :blush:

erm...

:mellow:

... not yet. :ph34r:

I've been too busy taking other basses apart and finding room for all the bits :rolleyes:

(don't say anything, please :lol: )

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1392328517' post='2367569']
Got the dropbox files cheers McNach, I will get it drawn over the weekend and quoted on Mon then post up on here. They will be laser cut from either aluminium or acrylic and the edges will be as laser cut. They will need dressing, filing, wet and dry to your preference of finish but it won't take long for such a small part. I'm sure at a couple of quid or so each people won't mind a bit of hand finishing. I don't really fancy finishing a batch myself, I just don't have the time.

Will update on Monday.

Cheers,
Rich
[/quote]

I'm still in for a couple of black acrylic ones, and stick on is just fine, I've even bought the tape......impatient....moi??

Black plastic is nasty stuff to laser cut as it burns and melts. The only option for black is to either anodise the alu ones, or I can CNC from acrylic plate.

I should have quoted costs for the alu ones on Monday and will look at costs for plastic. I don't want to make a load of different versions or I end up either making 1 by 1, which is not worth it at £20 each, or a load of stock I would not know where to shift.

Will report back with prices then, people can let me know how many they want, and we can go from there.

Cheers,
Rich

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1392400061' post='2368321']
Black plastic is nasty stuff to laser cut as it burns and melts. The only option for black is to either anodise the alu ones, or I can CNC from acrylic plate.

I should have quoted costs for the alu ones on Monday and will look at costs for plastic. I don't want to make a load of different versions or I end up either making 1 by 1, which is not worth it at £20 each, or a load of stock I would not know where to shift.

Will report back with prices then, people can let me know how many they want, and we can go from there.

Cheers,
Rich
[/quote]

Cool, thanks for taking care of this!

(and when I said black plastic I meant black acrylic... it's all "plastic" to me :P)

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1392392515' post='2368152']
Modern double sided sticky tape is very strong should be suitable. Just make sure you warm it before trying to remove whatever you end up sticking on, use a gentle heat from a hair dryer or something.
[/quote]

Best way is to use lighter fluid. It has an agent in it that dissolves the glue but doesn't touch finishes. I used it on a scratch plate on a fender acoustic (Kingman to be precise). Gently pull and apply.

A

Okay final prices are in. They are to be in 5083 aluminium, 5mm thick, laser cut and as they come off the machine. That will mean a little hand finishing if you want it completely smooth. £4 each plus postage, and I have to buy 40 to get that price. They will be silver aluminium, I cannot get black plastic laser cut. If the end quantity is less than 20 then the price may go up a little.

So please reply back below if you are in and for how many. I will place the order on Wednesday afternoon for the quantity required plus a few spare, but not many.

Diablo - 3
Les -3
Odysseus - 3
Barkin - 1
madshadows - 2
oppsdabassist - 2

Cheers,
Rich

Edited by Diablo

Thanks for the effort Rich, I'm glad they'll be produced for those who want them. :)

I'm afraid I'm out, 'though, as I already have a few and my only interest was in getting some black acrylic ones as it may look better in some basses.
Aluminium will look good, that's the one shown in the first picture of my white Precision (first page) :)

I may make a batch of black plastic ones in the future, but I would need to CNC mill them. I've got all the gear, but the equipment and me are fully booked on other jobs for the foreseeable future. I will do it as a hobby project maybe in a month or two.

Cheers,
Rich

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1392657568' post='2371176']
I may make a batch of black plastic ones in the future, but I would need to CNC mill them. I've got all the gear, but the equipment and me are fully booked on other jobs for the foreseeable future. I will do it as a hobby project maybe in a month or two.

Cheers,
Rich
[/quote]

you're a star! :)

no problem if you cannot, but if you can, you can count me in for sure!

This is a good idea.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zero-Mod-Thumb-Rest-for-Fender-Jazz-Bass-No-Modifications-No-Holes-In-Black-/221350847649?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item338989e4a1"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zero-Mod-Thumb-Rest-for-Fender-Jazz-Bass-No-Modifications-No-Holes-In-Black-/221350847649?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item338989e4a1[/url]

You could easliy make one yourself out of wood or plastic to suit your pickguard screws?

okay okay I give in. I've just ordered a sheet of black Perspex. Leave it with me to make a sample, maybe at the weekend. I've got engines to dyno and run in most of the week and I cannot run the dyno and CNC mill together. They are in the same room and after 10 mins of two stroke testing the smoke gets too thick to see the screen on the mill....!

Cheers,
Rich