Why become a member? ×

Non invasive thumbrest mounting

Les

I need a thumbrest on my Fender Mustang between the pup and the bridge.

Has anyone had any success sticking rather then drilling a thumbrest on as
I'm loathe to drill ?

Or has anyone concocted something out of a cornflake packet
and stickyback plastic in the best Blue Peter tradition ? :)

cheers

Les

Can't quite picture what you mean. But sliding something under the scratchplate is acceptable.

I only need a little something to rest my thumb on, it doesn't have to be the size of a fender thumbrest,
just something to anchor on. Have had a squint on the net and some people have used cut down stick on
rubber feet kind of things that you get for laptops etc. May have a look at that.

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1390867584' post='2350830']
I need a thumbrest on my Fender Mustang between the pup and the bridge.

Has anyone had any success sticking rather then drilling a thumbrest on as
I'm loathe to drill ?

Or has anyone concocted something out of a cornflake packet
and stickyback plastic in the best Blue Peter tradition ? :)

cheers

Les
[/quote]

I have a metal thumbrest stuck on every one of my P basses, like this:

I used strong double-sided adhesive tape (that a very kind BC member sent me once, thanks Apa! :)) and it's working very well.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1391265880' post='2355158']
Where did you get the thumb rest?
[/quote]

I bought an OLP MM2 once (Stingray clone) that had the thumbrest at roughly the place where a Precision pickup would be, held with doublesided tape.
I removed it, as I like to pluck by the pickup on a Stingray, but kept the thumbrest and later used it on a Precision, as in the pictures.
Someone made a few of them for me afterwards in aluminium, one for each of my P basses.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1391281919' post='2355413']
I can see those becoming very common. They look really good!
[/quote]

I have no idea where the original one came from, whether it was made for this purpose or (more likely) someone found a bit of metal of an appropriate shape and size and used it... but it is indeed perfect.

Maybe I should get in touch with the very nice guy who made my copies and get a few more made.
Actually, I thought of getting one of them scanned (for profile, as I've done with control plates etc before) and generate a vector graphics model that I can then get a shop to laser cut it in acrylic, 4-5mm thick. Black would look nice. It would not cost much to get a few made. The edges may need to be rounded up a bit, as laser cutting tends to leave very sharp edges... hmmm.
If there's interest, I can probably get the file made soon (not that it needs to be the same exact shape, but it is a very good shape for a thumb rest, I have to say.)

Oh, I was talking about sharing the files and let you take care of it :lol:

But now you got me thinking it would be cool to get some black ones made... I have to get a couple of metal plates made so I'll ask about how much it would cost to get the thumbrests made in black acrylic/perspex. I suspect there would be a minimum order that might make this idea a bit too expensive. We will see.

Count me in for some thumb rests if you guys can make this happen. Acrylic or Aluminium would be great! :-)

I got a thumb rest on my Stingray - it was on before I bought it - can't find any mention of them anywhere so I guess it was made specifically for the last owner.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1391309052' post='2355682']
I'll report back :)
[/quote]

where you up to pal ? It's been two whole days since you swore your oath to provide thumbrest groovyness to the masses. :lol:

I'm gigging on Saturday. I even bought my own double sided tape so as to meet you halfway :P

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1391463804' post='2357544']
where you up to pal ? It's been two whole days since you swore your oath to provide thumbrest groovyness to the masses. :lol:

I'm gigging on Saturday. I even bought my own double sided tape so as to meet you halfway :P
[/quote]

Ha ha!

:lol:

it'll happen, but probably not until the weekend I'm afraid... I need to finish my control plate design first to get the quotes etc... but it'll happen, subscribe to this thread ;)

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1391504156' post='2357760']
Thanks for this, I'd be very interested in a couple, or the file if you decide not to take this on.
[/quote]

The file I will happily give away to anyone. But I'll get a quote to make these things too, and perhaps it won't be too crazy if a few of us wants them. The company I am using have a minimum order of £85, but the question is how many I can get made for that price.

Could we have a cyber show of hands for those interested in this ? That way mcnach knows he's not going to get stuck with 85 quid's worth of thumbrests.

I'm happy to chuck my tenner or £8.50 or whatever makes sense in the final reckoning in to this..

Les