Why become a member? ×

Non invasive thumbrest mounting

Les

If Mcnach's guy can't/won't do them I could.

Here's a prototype. I could make the sides straight. It would be easier to make them straight.

I've shaped the top and curved off the bottom, so it's clear of the E string. Also, this one is probably deeper than you'd need it.

Edit: The one shown is in ebony So you could sand it and shape it more if you want.

Edited by Grangur

If people want these laser cutting (me to...) I can sort it for a lot less than an £85 order. I will be at my laser profilers Thursday morning as I'm just about to place an order for several hundred quids worth of bearing and clutch plates that they cut for me. I can add a batch of these into one of my other orders and get them cut at cost, I'm thinking a couple of quid each sort of price including material.

For deburring after cutting I have a tumbler that I chuck the parts in with abrasive stones and water or petrol and let it wear all the edges off. Or people can spend 5 mins with a file and wet/dry and finish as you wish. For tape I would use car body trim double sided adhesive tape. It is made for sticking plastic and metal to paint and survive jet washing!

If any of you are interested let me know. I can also create a CAD / DXF file as I have 3D CAD software.

Cheers,
Rich

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1392238254' post='2366420']
Any news mate ? :rolleyes:
[/quote]

sorry mate, I have not got around to sort this out yet. It's in my "to do" list, but work, bands, girlfriend etc take time too.

The "eye rolling" icon, I could do without, you know? ;)

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1392239468' post='2366432']
If people want these laser cutting (me to...) I can sort it for a lot less than an £85 order. I will be at my laser profilers Thursday morning as I'm just about to place an order for several hundred quids worth of bearing and clutch plates that they cut for me. I can add a batch of these into one of my other orders and get them cut at cost, I'm thinking a couple of quid each sort of price including material.

For deburring after cutting I have a tumbler that I chuck the parts in with abrasive stones and water or petrol and let it wear all the edges off. Or people can spend 5 mins with a file and wet/dry and finish as you wish. For tape I would use car body trim double sided adhesive tape. It is made for sticking plastic and metal to paint and survive jet washing!

If any of you are interested let me know. I can also create a CAD / DXF file as I have 3D CAD software.

Cheers,
Rich
[/quote]

I can send you a real size scan to base the design on, if you want to try making it the same shape (I personally love it, find it very comfy!).
I have not yet produced the vector graphics version of it.

If not, no worries. I hope to sort this out soon, before people get too impatient and start rolling their eyes at me :P

The company I meant to use seems to have upped their minimum order to £150!!!
(how many do we want? ;))

The good news is I managed to produce the files needed. I asked for an exact quote etc, but with that min order I doubt it'll be worth it.
However, Rich "Diablo" might be able to sort something out... :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1392284430' post='2366703']
sorry mate, I have not got around to sort this out yet. It's in my "to do" list, but work, bands, girlfriend etc take time too.

The "eye rolling" icon, I could do without, you know? ;)
[/quote]

lol, sorry dude, was meant more teasing than impatient :blush:

OK, some news...
So minimum order is £150... +VAT! So that's £180 (not sure what delivery would be like, but it can't add a lot)
They say they can make me 50, in black acrylic, so that would work at £3.60 each, which I'm happy to pay... but that's 50 of the things! I could buy 5-6 of them, so who wants the remaining 44? :lol:

Probably best to see what Rich can do.

Just send me the sketch or CAD data, I PM'ed my personal email to you. I'm placing an order for around £500 of stuff early next week and can just add this order into that. I need to send them a drawing or DXF to quote against first though. Even a photo of your existing one with a rule beside it and a note on the thickness would be enough, it is 2 mins worth of CAD to draw it up.

Cheers,
Rich

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1392314374' post='2367274']
Just send me the sketch or CAD data, I PM'ed my personal email to you. I'm placing an order for around £500 of stuff early next week and can just add this order into that. I need to send them a drawing or DXF to quote against first though. Even a photo of your existing one with a rule beside it and a note on the thickness would be enough, it is 2 mins worth of CAD to draw it up.

Cheers,
Rich
[/quote]

Hi Rich,

I didn't get your PM with email address, but I PM'd you links to the original scan (TIFF), the AI file, and the DXF and DWG format files (exported from AI)... did you get those ok?
The thickness is 5mm.

J.

Got the dropbox files cheers McNach, I will get it drawn over the weekend and quoted on Mon then post up on here. They will be laser cut from either aluminium or acrylic and the edges will be as laser cut. They will need dressing, filing, wet and dry to your preference of finish but it won't take long for such a small part. I'm sure at a couple of quid or so each people won't mind a bit of hand finishing. I don't really fancy finishing a batch myself, I just don't have the time.

Will update on Monday.

Cheers,
Rich

There is the chance to do a "deluxe" version which could be milled from billet aluminium with 2x screw holes and a 45 degree chamfered edge for the "bells and whistles" bassists out there. Is anyone interested in those rather than laser cut? I could CNC A sample over the weekend. They would work out more though, £10-15 each I would expect rather than a couple of quid.

Cheers,
Rich