Why become a member? ×

Non invasive thumbrest mounting

Les

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1392676086' post='2371594']
okay okay I give in. I've just ordered a sheet of black Perspex. Leave it with me to make a sample, maybe at the weekend. I've got engines to dyno and run in most of the week and I cannot run the dyno and CNC mill together. They are in the same room and after 10 mins of two stroke testing the smoke gets too thick to see the screen on the mill....!

Cheers,
Rich
[/quote]

Yay! :)

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1392821482' post='2373099']
I've just placed the order for 20 off aluminium ones and 14 are already spoken for. I should have them around the end of next week. I had to place the orders for the other stuff in the batch to get the price down on these hence the urgency.

Cheers,
Rich
[/quote]

Great work Rich :)

John

Hi all,

While I await arrival of the aluminium rests I boofed the cad file into my mill and made a couple of acrylic samples this morning. One has a very tiny edge chamfer, the other has a more pronounced edge profile. I was concerned about it not having a sharp edge, but also not chamfering so far that your thumb falls off.

Have a look at the attached pics - which size chamfer is the preferred one? I have the list a few posts above for alu, who would like these black acrylic ones and how many of them? Price for these will be a little more than the alu due to the machining time. It takes about 10 mins per part as appose to a few seconds with the laser.

The alu are £4 each, the black plastic would be £6.

Thoughts please before I go an make a bunch with the wrong chamfer.!

Cheers,
Rich

Great work Diablo!

I think I prefer the one with the less pronounced edge.

Also, I was wondering if it would be possible to make the thumrest straight, as they all are, so you can move your finger to different playing positions...I would prefer the traditional shape to be honest :rolleyes:

That looks awesome! Thanks Rich!
I'd also prefer the one with the tiny chamfer. I would take either of the two, but I much prefer the tiny chamfer one: My original one has no chamfer whatsoever and I find it very comfortable.

I would take 5 of them, at £6.
If it's too much of a pain in the arse as the numbers grow, I'm happy to get just a couple, but if it's not a problem, up to 5 would be ideal :) :)

[quote]Also, I was wondering if it would be possible to make the thumb rest straight, as they all are, so you can move your finger to different playing positions...I would prefer the traditional shape to be honest[/quote]

The original ones stick out from the pickguard quite a way so are screwed on instead of stuck on. These alu and plastic ones are all 5mm thick which I think it enough for a rest, but not too far that it will try to rotate off the sticky tape.

I can do a rectangular version I guess, it is just a bit of programming time. It would be in the 5mm thick black plastic, and 12mm high, how long? The dipped version are 28mm. I don't have a standard Fender one to measure. What would you want, 45 or 50mm kind of length?

Cheers,
Rich

[quote]Thanks Rich!

Could you make them 35mm long and 8 to 10mm high, please?
Black plastic, rectangular with the less pronounced edge and those dimensions if possible, [/quote]

Leave it with me a few days and I'll knock up a sample.

I'm just waiting on a note from the mods here in Castle Basschat about how I can go about doing this without stepping on the toes of traders (I make my living from vintage motorcycles and engines, not from bass thumb rests!) but allow people to pay and give shipping info easily.

One way or another we should be ready to send these out by the end of next week.

Cheers,
Rich

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1393104179' post='2376324']
Leave it with me a few days and I'll knock up a sample.

I'm just waiting on a note from the mods here in Castle Basschat about how I can go about doing this without stepping on the toes of traders (I make my living from vintage motorcycles and engines, not from bass thumb rests!) but allow people to pay and give shipping info easily.

One way or another we should be ready to send these out by the end of next week.

Cheers,
Rich
[/quote]
[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1393104303' post='2376327']
By that do you mean a larger or smaller chamfer? I just want to be sure I've understood.
[/quote]

Thank you very much!
Sorry, I was meant to say with smaller chamfer.

I appear to have a box of black plastic bits and a pile of plastic swarf on my machine. Large chamfer, small chamfer, no chamfer, I'm too kind to you lot. I'm just waiting on mod approvals for sticking a link up on here to pay for them. Don't want to step on traders/sponsors toes.

Rectangular to follow tomorrow morning whilst machine is set up for these.

Cheers,
Rich

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1393281949' post='2378356']
I appear to have a box of black plastic bits and a pile of plastic swarf on my machine. Large chamfer, small chamfer, no chamfer, I'm too kind to you lot. I'm just waiting on mod approvals for sticking a link up on here to pay for them. Don't want to step on traders/sponsors toes.

Rectangular to follow tomorrow morning whilst machine is set up for these.

Cheers,
Rich
[/quote]

:gas:

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Pau - I used the rest of the black acrylic to make you some 10 x 35 rectangular. I only had enough material for four. How many do you want as you have first refusal!

Barkin - 486 trade for some rests if you want?

Still waiting for the okay from mods but all plastic are ready and alu will be complete over the weekend. Ty ad follows, when they are gone that is it. Dipped means with the thumb profile.

Black dipped no chamfer - 6
Black dipped small chamfer - 18
Black dipped large chamfer - 2
Black straight - 4
Aluminium dipped - 20

Cheers,
Rich

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1393415269' post='2379879']

[/quote]

Cheers Rich - let me confirm, then we can work something out.

Might be a few days though - laid up with a bad back at the mo', but as soon as I can walk again...

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1393415269' post='2379879']
Pau - I used the rest of the black acrylic to make you some 10 x 35 rectangular. I only had enough material for four. How many do you want as you have first refusal!

Still waiting for the okay from mods but all plastic are ready and alu will be complete over the weekend. Ty ad follows, when they are gone that is it. Dipped means with the thumb profile.

Black dipped no chamfer - 6
Black dipped small chamfer - 18
Black dipped large chamfer - 2
Black straight - 4
Aluminium dipped - 20

Cheers,
Rich
[/quote]

Thanks Rich!
How much are they, please?...I might have all 4 or 3 if anyone else needs/wants one.

Thanks for this Rich. I know you're waiting for a reply from the mods to get these out to us, so, would you like me to beat any of them to death for their tardiness or just knock em' about a bit with a length of 3 be 2 ? :lol:

as I said I'll take absolutely anything as long as I can rest my thumb on it but if I get a choice can I have 2 ali and 1 plastic dipped (small chamfer) please.

Les

Looks like the orders are going through and the rests will be shipping soon, so, the rest of this thread is probably going to be about what we're all using to stick them with and what success we're having.

The tape I've got to try is something called sticks like nail's, will report back when I've used it.