Why become a member? ×

being content...

andy67

I recall 10 years ago living in my modest flat in the west end of Edinburgh...I was skint, struggling to make my way but, had my Yamaha TRB 5 and my Hughes & Kettner bassbase 400 with a Trace Elliot 4x10 cab.

Now, at that point I was happy and content with my gear having no need to buy other stuff or upgrade as my gear was more than fit for purpose. I now have constant gas and change gear regularly.

I want to return to being skint but content - how do I get there?

andy

Edited by andy67

[quote name='andy67' post='232408' date='Jul 4 2008, 01:32 AM']I recall 10 years ago living in my modest flat in the west end of Edinburgh...I was skint, struggling to make my way but, had my Yamaha TRB 5 and my Hughes & Kettner bassbase 400 with a Trace Elliot 4x10 cab.

Now, at that point I was happy and content with my gear having no need to buy other stuff or upgrade as my gear was more than fit for purpose. I now have constant gas and change gear regularly.

I want to return to being skint but content - how do I get there?

andy[/quote]

Heart failure worked for me.
Can’t work so now I’m skint, at one point I thought I was on my last legs, this made me realize what is important in life.
But I still want a better bass

Im in the process of selling...stripping back my gear. Its a balance around 'need vs want',and I tend to side with need. You have to ask the question are you buying it because it looks/sounds nice,or are you buying it because it is needed.

I find to solve the problem is learning the true meaning of minimalism.

If you want to be poor,buy a house..if you have one already,then buy another one,only bigger.....

In a bassy sense I find I feel better if I only own gear I use. I'm a gigging player first and foremost and taking my tools of the trade out with me makes me happy.

I also like seeing the 20 spots stuffed in the pot on the mantleshelf. Not because I'm greedy or a 'bread head' but because it feels like a tangible reward for the work I've put in over the years. It makes me feel relevant.

I've been skint and I've been wedged. Neither was the be all and end all of life but wedged is better.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='232448' date='Jul 4 2008, 08:51 AM']In a bassy sense I find I feel better if I only own gear I use. I'm a gigging player first and foremost and taking my tools of the trade out with me makes me happy.

I also like seeing the 20 spots stuffed in the pot on the mantleshelf. Not because I'm greedy or a 'bread head' but because it feels like a tangible reward for the work I've put in over the years. It makes me feel relevant.

I've been skint and I've been wedged. Neither was the be all and end all of life but wedged is better.[/quote]

Pot on the mantleshelf ehhh???

(Hahaha now I know where Dave keeps his wealth!!)

"To Huddersfield my good man and don't spare the horses"

mimimalism is definitely the way to go.

In process of cutting the rig back - sold the b115e and the svt 3 pro about to sell my little crate amp, the basses will be difficult...

I do indeed own a house but find the missus more draining in terms of money! :)

Ironside, hope you are feeling much fitter and well now. My father (rip) was dogged by heart attacks and strokes, not a nice place to be and a fear of mine as I get older. His first attack was in his mid 40's. The closer I get to this age the more worried I become...

andy

As far as gear goes - i've always been content! Yes, I have constantly been building up a collection of pedals but I don't think that's indicative of discontentment. I only bought what I could afford, and I only bought what I knew I would use for the band.

Now our drummer has gone home i'm stuck with this amazing rig and pedal board and I don't know whether to sell it or what! So to be content I suppose I need enough gear to gig, and enough gigs to justify the gear.

[quote name='andy67' post='232491' date='Jul 4 2008, 10:00 AM']mimimalism is definitely the way to go.

Ironside, hope you are feeling much fitter and well now. My father (rip) was dogged by heart attacks and strokes, not a nice place to be and a fear of mine as I get older. His first attack was in his mid 40's. The closer I get to this age the more worried I become...

andy[/quote]

Thanks I’m fine now thanks, it has left me with very little mobility but I am happy and content.

You could:
Be happy with what you have by modifying it.
Sell what you haven't used in the last 3 months. Must not really need it......
Find some really poor young urchin with no money who wants to learn bass and give the equipment to him/her.
As someone else said, quit reading bass blogs like this one, but more importantly, quit looking at online sales.
Quit going into music shops. Go feed the birds at the park instead.
Practice.
Go gig.
Do you have children yet? Go ahead and have 3 or 4. That'll take care of the G.A.S. money!

Doug

[quote name='andy67' post='232408' date='Jul 4 2008, 01:32 AM']I want to return to being skint but content - how do I get there?[/quote]
Give me all your money and I'll tell you how happy you are at least once a day.

[quote name='OldGit' post='232469' date='Jul 4 2008, 09:21 AM']I wasn't joking ... is that Up North Speak for 20 quid?[/quote]

Funnily enough I thought it was 'South Speak' . In these parts we'd say 20 brick !

Not sure what they say in Wales but any guess I care to make will probably be deeply offensive :)