Why become a member? ×

How to get Started on the long road

Marc1t

Hi All apart from my introduction this is my first post.
I would say I'm a beginner bass player though I have some very limited experience playing with other musicians but that was a long time ago iv got most of the gear i need to get started but dont know any other musicians , I cant read music but do have some knowledge of scales a bit of theory & how music is arranged just what I learnt really, I really cant afford lessons & only have a few books for reference, seen few good tips on you tube, but most seem to be guys doing covers showboating how good they are some are! but that's no good to me. Forgive me if my questions are bassic no pun intended but I would like to at least get to a stage ware I can play along to a few songs with relative ease I'm not quite sure how to achieve this is it a case of learning note for note parrot fashion from tab or ear? Surly this would take forever. or learning the chords & making it up? would it sound right? I just don't know? Music seems like a bewildering world & I don't want to get frustrated by learning all the wrong stuff & have to undo the mistakes & start again.
Any tips greatly appreciated no matter how small>

Thanks Marc

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1390037145' post='2340679']
Where abouts are you?? There may be a BCer close to you who could give you some 1:1 guidance to get you started...
[/quote]
+1. If you can find 3 or 4 Basschatters local to you, they could each spend say 45 mins with you to get you started.

In the meantime you can get a lot of basic instruction free, from people like [url="http://www.scottsbasslessons.com/"]Scott Devine[/url] and [url="http://www.talkingbass.net/"]Mark J Smith[/url].

My advice is to pick some songs you like which have simple bass parts and play along. Eventually you'll pick up the bass lines. Repeat this process until you find it easy to pick up simple bass parts by ear. This process does take time but everything worth doing takes some effort. I'm sure there's beginner lessons for free on youtube.
Once you've learned a few songs start going to local jams and meeting musicians and like minded people. They'll probably encourage you to get up for a jam.This will give you the motivation to spend more time practicing and eventually it will be you who gets up and joins the guys on stage.
After I got my bass It took me about a year before I played my first proper gig.

[quote name='Marc1t' timestamp='1390036763' post='2340673']
Hi All apart from my introduction this is my first post.
I would say I'm a beginner bass player though I have some very limited experience playing with other musicians but that was a long time ago iv got most of the gear i need to get started but dont know any other musicians , I cant read music but do have some knowledge of scales a bit of theory & how music is arranged just what I learnt really, I really cant afford lessons & only have a few books for reference, seen few good tips on you tube, but most seem to be guys doing covers showboating how good they are some are! but that's no good to me. Forgive me if my questions are bassic no pun intended but I would like to at least get to a stage ware I can play along to a few songs with relative ease I'm not quite sure how to achieve this is it a case of learning note for note parrot fashion from tab or ear? Surly this would take forever. or learning the chords & making it up? would it sound right? I just don't know? Music seems like a bewildering world & I don't want to get frustrated by learning all the wrong stuff & have to undo the mistakes & start again.
Any tips greatly appreciated no matter how small>

Thanks Marc
[/quote]
Marc, here is my tuppence worth.

The overriding thing that strikes me about your post is[i] Fear[/i] and [i]Apprehension.[/i]...[i]relax! [/i] Music is fun - just enjoy the journey.

Listen to everything, watch every bassist that you see...play, play and play. It reminds me of a story - When I started I lived in a very small village in the middle of the highlands of Scotland...no computers, no youtube, no ipods...no colour tv - but I had vinyl and a little record player. I spent endless hours picking up the needle of it and listening over and over to songs to pick out the basslines in the most basic of ways. I was later told that this is transcribing...but the word that describes the experience is of no relevance. I thought I had arrived as a player until I saw Stan Clarke on the "old grey whistle test" - so I practiced and practiced. I thought I had it nailed then I saw Mark King on "the Tube" - so I practiced and practiced. a few years ago I thought I had it nailed until I saw Hadrien Feraud - so I still practice and practice.

Practice makes perfect. Model the great players...of which there are thousands. [i]Have fun[/i]!

Edited by White Cloud

I'll second the advice to try to get a teacher if possible. Having said that, here is my 2c worth. The first thing I will say is.....[b]LISTEN[/b]
[b]CLOSLEY...[/b] to the bass lines in lots of different types of music. Even if you dont care much for it, blues music is great for learning bass lines and how the bass
"fits into" the music. Try to figure things out for yourself. Tabs are OK up to a point, but dont become over dependent on them.

Dont be too concerned about how long anything takes to learn. Learning an instrument is a life long pursuit, and everyone learns at their own pace, so relax and enjoy the learning journey, otherwise you will become frustrated, leading to the possibility of wanting to quit. Take things in small bite size chunks.
Practice every day, if only for half an hour. Regularity is better than spending a lot of time, say once a week.

As mentioned, Scott Devine and Mark Smith are great teachers. A great on line site is [url="http://www.studybass.com"]www.studybass.com[/url] The good thing about this site IMO is that the lessons are in chronilogical order, i.e. each lessons builds on what went before, so there are no gaps in the learning process. Start at the beginning and work your way [i]slowly[/i] through it.

Check out some local forums or music shops for adverts looking for people to jam with. The quickest and most enjoyable way to learn is to play with others.

Best of luck with it. :)

I'd certainly support the 'listen' sentiments above. That was what got me into bass in the first place from a very early age. For some reason I would always pick hour the bass lines to songs and hum along to that rather than the melody. No idea why. When my parents bought me my first guitar it was the inevitable six string acoustic and I used it to play along to the bass lines of my favourite songs. It was a long time before I got my first proper bass, which I also used to play along with my favourite songs, especially improvising my own walking baselines over blues songs. I used to play with school friends as well but looking back it was desperately amateur stuff, but great fun. My first 'proper' band didn't happen until I was in my 30s.

So, listen to stuff and play along to stuff and have fun doing it. If you can find like-minded people to play with then all the better.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1390044032' post='2340777']
I'd certainly support the 'listen' sentiments above. That was what got me into bass in the first place from a very early age. For some reason I would always pick hour the bass lines to songs and hum along to that rather than the melody. No idea why. When my parents bought me my first guitar it was the inevitable six string acoustic and I used it to play along to the bass lines of my favourite songs. It was a long time before I got my first proper bass, which I also used to play along with my favourite songs, especially improvising my own walking baselines over blues songs. I used to play with school friends as well but looking back it was desperately amateur stuff, but great fun. My first 'proper' band didn't happen until I was in my 30s.

So, listen to stuff and play along to stuff and have fun doing it. If you can find like-minded people to play with then all the better.
[/quote]
Superb post!

+1 on listening closely.

[url="http://bestpractice.sourceforge.net/"]Best Practice[/url] is a handy bit of kit for PC users that enables you to slow down songs to a manageable speed and loop sections. Move the pitch up an octave if you're having trouble hearing the bass lines.

Learn how to play U2 "with or without you" it's 4 notes with an excellent rhythm. It's a great confidence builder and really easy to play and sound good. Take it from there. Move on to nirvana smells like teen spirit. Again 4 notes with rhythm. Build up your confidence slowly you could learn these over the course of a week or less. Download a scale app and learn some simple scales. Play them over and over and over. Pretty quickly you will be playing quite well and your confidence will grow. Get rhythm, constantly tap out beats on your fingers ie tap the index finger and thumb on your right hand to play the bass drum of a beat while simultaneously tapping out the snare part with you left hand. This is a great way of making that association between your hands which is key for success as a player. Join a band.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1390037145' post='2340679']
Where abouts are you?? There may be a BCer close to you who could give you some 1:1 guidance to get you started...
[/quote]
Hey that's a good idea I hope there is some kind sole out there near me that would be great I'm in Bracknell

[quote name='Michael J' timestamp='1390065648' post='2341125']
I had a go with Radio 2 country stuff the other night, on the grounds that it was likely to be one or the other of "both kinds" and quite possibly in "A" (good country key). Good fun. :)
[/quote]

Did you manage to turn goat's piss into gasoline? ;)

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1390041415' post='2340741']
A great on line site is [url="http://www.studybass.com"]www.studybass.com[/url] The good thing about this site IMO is that the lessons are in chronilogical order, i.e. each lessons builds on what went before, so there are no gaps in the learning process. Start at the beginning and work your way [i]slowly[/i] through it.[/quote]

Wow, I've just checked out this site, - what a great resource!

It's very tempting when your start out learning something, to jump about all over the place, learning a bit of this & a bit of that.
As Coilte suggests, work your way through this website, at least for now; that way your learning will be structured and you'll really feel that you're making progress.

Good luck!

Firstly thanks for all your posts I didn't expect this much feedback & I really will take on all your comments I have been listening to bass lines for a while now U2's 'with or without you' only last night thanks Ill give this a go! I appreciate its gonna take time to train my ear & Ill check out all the websites you recommend. As for White Cloud's initial comment & thanks by the way! Fear & apprehension sums it up. As far as Im concerned I'm embarking on a complex hobby past time whatever you want it, I wish I could jump in and play with other musicians but I don't feel Im at that stage & will people have the patience with me as a beginner, not sure I hope so as Iv already said I cant afford lessons at the moment Cheers all.

Marc

[quote name='Marc1t' timestamp='1390147481' post='2341925']
not sure I hope so as Iv already said I cant afford lessons at the moment Cheers all.
[/quote]
Marc, some of the most prominent players in rock have never had a lesson or can read music. You don't need someone to tell you how to do it...just pick it up and play it! If you need inspiration listen to your favourite players (or watch them) - and remember this...you don't need to be a shredder to be a great bassist.

Don't be scared..[i].have fun. [/i]

When you're practising alone - play what you can't do as much as what you can. When you get on stage - put on the actors clothes and be the best player in the world , confidence , confidence , confidence. No skulking at the back of the stage. Accept you will always make mistakes and never be perfect , once you accept that you will learn how to deal with mistakes rather than fear making them. Listen to as much opinion as you like - but learn which to respect and which to dismiss. Most , by far , will be in the second category. Remember at all times that every time you play the right note in the right place you're as good as anyone else on the planet.

Thanks Dr Dave seems like great advice if I ever get to the stage ill pretend to be Norman Watt-Roy one of my heroes, dealing with mistakes! yes I can see ware your coming from & play what I cant play? just had a go at hit me with our rhythm stick, If Noman was present he would have hit me with It that's for sure.

dnt be intimidated by players who have been playing for years, use them as inspiration the first players who inspired me to pick up the bass were people like cliff burton, geezer butler, geddy lee and justin chancellor. some crazy good players but they all had to start somewhere so just remember dnt feel down just because you dnt become awesome in the first few weeks dude.

finding people to play with always helps you progress, if you can play with a drummer really helps you progress! ifound my current band through friends on facebook but before that my very first band met on gumtree!

andy