Why become a member? ×

Hardest bass solo i've ever had to Transcribe!

Bill

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]
Hi guys,

This is my second Hadrien Feraud bass solo that I have transcribed, and has been one of my favourite bass solo's for years! Back then I thought it would be impossible to play and even more impossible to work out by ear, but with a lot of inspiration and patience I managed to transcribe it using the Windows media player (slow speed setting) to help pick out the trickier and less obvious notes!

hope you enjoy, let me know what you think!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz2_959xvTo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz2_959xvTo[/url][/font][/color]

[sub]What I have just witnessed literally scared me . . . ! . . . [/sub]
[sub]As a relative novice I now feel that I should throw my Bass into a skip as I truly know, hand on heart, I will NEVER achieve [/sub]
[sub]or get any where close to the standard I have just seen. Simply put . . . [/sub][sub]Im a broken man . . . [/sub]

[sub]Send me the TAB :-) [/sub]

[sub]All the best[/sub]

[quote name='maw4neu' timestamp='1389710106' post='2337092']
[sub]As a relative novice I now feel that I should throw my Bass into a skip as I truly know, hand on heart, I will NEVER achieve [/sub]
[sub]or get any where close to the standard I have just seen. Simply put . . . [/sub][sub]Im a broken man . . . [/sub]

[sub]All the best[/sub]
[/quote]

Haha! Didn't mean to scare or discourage you man! But I wouldn't think like that, anyone is capable of anything if they put their minds and hearts into it! The transcription/Tab will be available on my website in the near future along with other transcriptions that I've done,

Bill.

[quote name='maw4neu' timestamp='1389710106' post='2337092']

[sub]All the best[/sub]
[/quote]

I concur.

I need to practice more :)

EDIT: forgot to say, lovely playing sir! Nice one :)

Edited by Merton

Well done Bill - Hadrien is a fiend on the bass and his lines are very complicated - I don't think any bass player (and I mean any) can truly match the clarity he gets at such high speed but you did a great job on this - it's one of his more melodic solos and one I really like as well - the scarest part is that he 'made this up on the spot...' - all said and done your work on this is great. I must do more of this kind of thing myself but I'm more focused on developing my own style - I'd love to hear a solo by YOU on some changes etc - I'm sure doing this kind of thing massively helps develop your own technique and ideas.

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1389865781' post='2338730']
Well done Bill - Hadrien is a fiend on the bass and his lines are very complicated - I don't think any bass player (and I mean any) can truly match the clarity he gets at such high speed but you did a great job on this - it's one of his more melodic solos and one I really like as well - the scarest part is that he 'made this up on the spot...' - all said and done your work on this is great. I must do more of this kind of thing myself but I'm more focused on developing my own style - I'd love to hear a solo by YOU on some changes etc - I'm sure doing this kind of thing massively helps develop your own technique and ideas.
[/quote]
Surely it's, therefore, easier for Hadrien if he makes it up on the spot, because he's simply playing what "feels right". He isn't listening to a track and a youtube vid trying to copy someone.

So, congrats Bill on an excellent job. I'd like to hear some of your own grooves.

That said.... with all the greats; do they ever REALLY make things up entirely on the fly? Aren't they really practised and prepared before hand?

Nope. You make them up on the spot. You get yourself ready by educating yourself about chords and scales and by developing your ear etc but, fundamentally, it is about hitting the motherlode on the day. Most of use us achieve that about twice a year. The best guys about 4 times ;)

Have had a listen and it is a great performance, Bill (nice phrasing and a nice sound).

One question (nothing to do with the video). You call it a transcription in the title of the thread. Have you actually transcribed it as in written it down? If not, I would call it a rendition not a transcription. Either way, good work.

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1389821264' post='2338390']
Well... Damn!

Awesome job!
[/quote]

Cheer's Myke! :)

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1389865781' post='2338730']
[/quote]

Thank's for checking it out Mike - appreciate the kind words, i personally believe that most of this solo was composed for the track... but that's my opinion, a lot of his improvised solo's on gig's are amazing! so i wouldn't put it past him to come up with this on the spot! but have a feeling about how well placed some notes and phrases are that he might of worked this out before recording the take! about my own thing, it has definitely really heightened my ear a lot! and also understanding of harmony/playing over changes/phrasing/rhythm etc! i tend to chuck a few videos on my YouTube channel of myself improvising, definitely need to do it more often though! this one is a basic c-minor chord progression but me soloing over the top, so let me know what you think, its fairly old but it is what it is..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Xq-nMIRmo[/media]

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1389873059' post='2338867']
Nice Bill
Sounds wicked
[/quote]

Thankyou, glad you enjoyed it!

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1389875666' post='2338909']
Surely it's, therefore, easier for Hadrien if he makes it up on the spot, because he's simply playing what "feels right". He isn't listening to a track and a youtube vid trying to copy someone.

So, congrats Bill on an excellent job. I'd like to hear some of your own grooves.

That said.... with all the greats; do they ever REALLY make things up entirely on the fly? Aren't they really practised and prepared before hand?
[/quote]

Thanks man, this year i will definitely be working on writing and getting my own music out there, have so many idea's but never had the time to properly structure it all, and arrange musicians to rehearse/record it, so will be on that this year hopefully! :-)

Like i sort of mentioned in response to Mike, all the Greats have there signature chops and licks practiced for sure! but depending on what musical situation they are in, is how they act on using them, or leaving them behind, i've seen a few different video's where i have heard Victor or Hadrien use the same lick/phrase/chop! but the way its structured or put together and built upon is all on the fly, unless its a studio situation then mostly i believe it would be composed or thought out slightly before being recorded! thats just IMO!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1389887023' post='2339140']
Nope. You make them up on the spot. You get yourself ready by educating yourself about chords and scales and by developing your ear etc but, fundamentally, it is about hitting the motherlode on the day. Most of use us achieve that about twice a year. The best guys about 4 times ;)

Have had a listen and it is a great performance, Bill (nice phrasing and a nice sound).

One question (nothing to do with the video). You call it a transcription in the title of the thread. Have you actually transcribed it as in written it down? If not, I would call it a rendition not a transcription. Either way, good work.
[/quote]

Thankyou, about the title, i tried to stay clear from the word 'Transcription' and mention that i've transcribed it (it is written down in a rough way at the moment) and performed it, but rendition does make sense! the transcriptions will be up on my website in the near future, so when its up and running please check back if you're interested :) (www.billbanwell.com)

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1389893187' post='2339249']
Don't you hate it when people say how great someone is just because they have their boob hanging over the bass and.. oh.. hang on.. wrong thread :D
[/quote]

HA! you can call me Bill Boobenfeld.......

[quote name='Bill' timestamp='1389897329' post='2339327']

Thanks man, this year i will definitely be working on writing and getting my own music out there, have so many idea's but never had the time to properly structure it all, and arrange musicians to rehearse/record it, so will be on that this year hopefully! :-)

Like i sort of mentioned in response to Mike, all the Greats have there signature chops and licks practiced for sure! but depending on what musical situation they are in, is how they act on using them, or leaving them behind, i've seen a few different video's where i have heard Victor or Hadrien use the same lick/phrase/chop! but the way its structured or put together and built upon is all on the fly, unless its a studio situation then mostly i believe it would be composed or thought out slightly before being recorded! thats just IMO!

Thankyou, about the title, i tried to stay clear from the word 'Transcription' and mention that i've transcribed it (it is written down in a rough way at the moment) and performed it, but rendition does make sense! the transcriptions will be up on my website in the near future, so when its up and running please check back if you're interested :) (www.billbanwell.com)
[/quote]
I liked the solo posted second better. It's got fewer notes, but loads more groove and passion (IMHO)
As you say, I suspect most of the greats put solos together using "building blocks" of solo pieces. Doing this allows them to go into familiar areas and leaves them time to plan and think, but as Bilbo says... it works sometimes better than others.

Hats off to you again.

Hey Bill - I think you're right that Had probably worked a few things out for this solo - it's so easy to punch in on a recording and add various bits in the studio - although I suspect he will have played a lot of it 'off the cuff' but as Bilbo says top players all have vast reserves of ideas and someone like Hadrien has shedded solos like crazy for 10-15 years - he had all the Jaco stuff down by the time he was 16 so let's give the guy some credit for his improv abilities - they are pretty sick!

I don't think anyone here is knocking Hadrien F'. He's in a major league for sure. All I'm suggesting is that bass playing is like all things in life, success is all in the preparation. That prep can be in creating re-usable prepared sectuons of solos at one level, or simply practice at another level (mine as it happens) :D

[quote name='Bill' timestamp='1389897329' post='2339327']
understanding of harmony/playing over changes/phrasing/rhythm etc!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Xq-nMIRmo[/media]
[/quote]

You have a nice lyrical style in soloing Bill. Something a lot of Bass players struggle with when soloing (IMO)

And well played in the OP video, nice phrasing and cleanly executed.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1389943096' post='2339713']
I liked the solo posted second better. It's got fewer notes, but loads more groove and passion (IMHO)
As you say, I suspect most of the greats put solos together using "building blocks" of solo pieces. Doing this allows them to go into familiar areas and leaves them time to plan and think, but as Bilbo says... it works sometimes better than others.

Hats off to you again.
[/quote]

Cheers man, glad you dug it, means a lot!

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1389957621' post='2339883']
Hey Bill - I think you're right that Had probably worked a few things out for this solo - it's so easy to punch in on a recording and add various bits in the studio - although I suspect he will have played a lot of it 'off the cuff' but as Bilbo says top players all have vast reserves of ideas and someone like Hadrien has shedded solos like crazy for 10-15 years - he had all the Jaco stuff down by the time he was 16 so let's give the guy some credit for his improv abilities - they are pretty sick!
[/quote]

Yeah of course! that has all helped him get to a stage where the bass is just an extension of his body! playing over changes is totally second nature to him, and most of it is probably auto-pilot! not using too much amount of thought! unless it's something like Giant Step's, but even then.. effortless!

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1389975355' post='2340222']
You have a nice lyrical style in soloing Bill. Something a lot of Bass players struggle with when soloing (IMO)

And well played in the OP video, nice phrasing and cleanly executed.
[/quote]

Thanks lowdown :-) glad you enjoyed it! i'm going to try and a put a few more of my own video's up of just improvising in between transcribed solo video's.