Why become a member? ×

A bit rich?

karlfer

[size=4][i][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"This bass was purchased for collectors purpose only."[/font][/color][/i]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If he bought it for £1800 in 2004 and manages to sell it 10 years later for £5000, then he might as well have purchased it for investment purposes only.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Remind me, what is a collector's purpose?[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1389692118' post='2336882']
[size=4][i][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"This bass was purchased for collectors purpose only."[/font][/color][/i]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If he bought it for £1800 in 2004 and manages to sell it 10 years later for £5000, then he might as well have purchased it for investment purposes only.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Remind me, what is a collector's purpose?[/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

If he sold it for £5000, then that would be a return of 10.7567% per year. Which would be a decent return on his investment. But, first there are ebay fees to consider. And then there's the slight point of whether or not he will actually manage to sell it for £5000.

Personally I am sometimes of the opinion that there are lots of sellers out there imagining up hoards of 'collectors' for all sorts of basses, when the actual number of collectors is much smaller, leading to an unrealistic impression of supply and demand.

Has the seller possibly assumed that, because the bass has Jaco's signature on it, it was, in fact, previously owned by Mr Pastorius himself?

EDIT: Nope, just read the full description and this is not the case. Time to make a weak joke about collectible porpoises instead...

Edited by EliasMooseblaster

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1389689392' post='2336855']
The brother they are selling for isn't a bass player? Why buy a bass. It's like buying a car........when you can't drive.
[/quote]

Some people seemingly buy instruments just to have something interesting or "cool" - looking sitting around in their home. I have a Lace Helix bass (retail about £800) which I picked up for less than £200 on Ebay. It had never been played, still had the protective plastic on various components - the seller wasn't a musician, had just bought this because it was unusual-looking and he thought it would look good in his flat.

At the moment, there's a guy trying to sell a R*ck*nb*ck*r (no link for obvious reasons) which looks like it's had a hard life as an ornament, the seller says it's never been played or even tuned. I'm increasingly fascinated by this phenomenon - if I can find a way into this market, I could make a fortune with some of the rotten old tat I've got lying around... :lol:

Jon.

A number of pubs I play in have instruments hanging on the wall, usually a Strat and a P-bass, maybe an old trumpet, etc.

They're not there to be played, it's more "look, look, this is a music pub".

I can't be the only person who checks to see if any of them are actually cool and valuable vintage instruments that have been hanging there since before they were cool and valuable ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1389704138' post='2337008']
A number of pubs I play in have instruments hanging on the wall, usually a Strat and a P-bass, maybe an old trumpet, etc.

I can't be the only person who checks to see if any of them are actually cool and valuable vintage instruments that have been hanging there since before they were cool and valuable ...
[/quote]

You aren't Jack, buy I still have to find one worth anything. In fact, finding one with all the requisite bits would be a start :D

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1389704138' post='2337008']

[/quote]
They have boxing gloves hanging on the wall in my local.

I wonder what the landlord is trying to say? :D