Why become a member? ×

Prince Live.

bubinga5

[quote name='Paulgm1' timestamp='1388866152' post='2327182']
Genius but a bit odd to say the least (like many genius are I suppose!)Parade is my favourite album. Saw a couple of the O2 shows a few years ago and they were superb. There's a rumour he's about to announce some UK dates and i can only recommend that you try to see him live if you can.
[/quote]

I love Parade too , great album :)[size=4] [/size]
[size=4] [/size][size=4]I was lucky enough to see him at the Manchester Acadamy Saturday show,,,,, words cant describe how good the gig was,, 3 hours,, 5 encores,, prince on bass for two songs :gas:,, I was about 15 people from the front , Majestic!!! [/size][size=4]best gig Iv'e ever been to,, still buzzing off it,, heres the set list [/size][size=4]http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/prince/2014/manchester-academy-manchester-england-bc5452a.html[/size]

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1393635864' post='2382959']
I've never understood why people call him a 'genius' over and over again. That vid is something you can see any pub RnB band do in Chelmsford or Southend any night of the week. Fine if you like that sort of thing but is it really the product of a 'genius'?
[/quote]

Then either you live in a very privileged and secret part of Essex, or you have been hitting the pipe on your pub nights. There is another explanation, but since it would call into question your ability to discern the difference between an Essex pub band and one of the most multi-talented and experienced singers/writers/producers/performers on the planet, I had better not mention it :)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1388584800' post='2323644']
Thanks for all the suggestions. I shall do a bit of YouTube research before buying a couple of albums.
[/quote]

I love Diamonds and Pearls, and The Gold Experience. Really beautiful songwriting. I'm not that keen on the earlier music. All a matter of taste I suppose.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1393640292' post='2382988']
one of the most multi-talented and experienced singers/writers/producers/performers on the planet,
[/quote]

One hears this mantra over and over again concerning Prince... almost like the star-struck fans have learned it off by heart or something. :)

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1393680093' post='2383269']
One hears this mantra over and over again concerning Prince... almost like the star-struck fans have learned it off by heart or something. :)
[/quote]

It's not a mantra, and I'm not a star-struck fan, I have a couple of albums on cassette and a free CD. However, I can recognise and appreciate damn good music and musicians, and understand why people like them so much. Most musicians should be able to do that. I detest Weather Report, but I can appreciate them. I can't stand Bach, but I understand why he is so revered. Open your ears and the stuff between them a bit mate, yes?

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1393700819' post='2383569']
It's not a mantra, and I'm not a star-struck fan, I have a couple of albums on cassette and a free CD. However, I can recognise and appreciate damn good music and musicians, and understand why people like them so much. Most musicians should be able to do that. I detest Weather Report, but I can appreciate them. I can't stand Bach, but I understand why he is so revered. Open your ears and the stuff between them a bit mate, yes?
[/quote]+1000

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1393680093' post='2383269']
[/quote]

Some of it is very good. Some of it is dire bland bilge. I also don't understand the uncritical adulation.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1393758409' post='2383981']
Some of it is very good. Some of it is dire bland bilge. I also don't understand the uncritical adulation.
[/quote]

You may be labouring under the mistaken belief (I think a lot of musicians do) that it's all about the music. It isn't. A significant factor is the delivery. You may also, perhaps, want to consider that people have different tastes and feelings from each other, and that your dire bland bilge may actually resonate significantly with others.

I checked out your rock and blues mainly covers band, a song called Overdrawn at The Memory Bank. It doesn't resonate with me, I didn't enjoy it, does that mean it's crap and allows me to berate others for having poor taste if they like it? No it doesn't, it just means I didn't like it.

Did you vote in the Basschat Composition Challenge this month? If you heard the entries, would you say you thought some of them were sh*t? Or 'dire bland bilge'? Do you have certain limits of how publicly disrespectful you are of others' musical creations and musical tastes?

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1393772170' post='2384156']
You may be labouring under the mistaken belief (I think a lot of musicians do) that it's all about the music. It isn't. A significant factor is the delivery. You may also, perhaps, want to consider that people have different tastes and feelings from each other, and that your dire bland bilge may actually resonate significantly with others.
[/quote]

Of course I understand that people have different tastes and feelings. You may have noticed that I don't say which songs I consider dire bland bilge, and that's because some songs that I like and don't consider to be dire bland bilge, others have criticised as being exactly that. Would you say that in your opinion 0% of Prince songs are dire bland bilge? If not, then you feel exactly the same way about his material as I do, though a Venn diagram of your dire balnd bilge and mine might not overlap.

Getting back to the crux of the matter, has anyone actually been to see Prince on his latest bout of gigs round London (and Manchester)?

A couple of Sundays ago, I found myself at a bit of a loose end in the middle of Kent. I'd been doing some work on the Saturday, and it had all gone to plan, slightly unexpectedly. Having had two nights of eating alone in the local Beefeater (taking advantage of the Valentine's Day special menu both times), I decided I was due a bit of a treat, and headed up to London for the day. On the way up, I found out that Prince was due to play one or more sets at Koko that night. Now, I'm not a massive Prince enthusiast - I've liked the funkier and rockier aspects of his work but steer clear of the balance, BUT I've always said that if I got to the chance see him doing a small club gig, I'd take it. I decided that I'd head to Camden, see what the queue was like, and either join it, wander round the market for the day, safe in the knowledge that I was too late to get in, or wander round the market for an hour or two knowing that I could probably still get in.

As it happened, there were about 550 people in the queue when I arrived, and Koko holds at least twice that, so I figured I could either join the queue at that point and definitely get in for the first show, or head off for a wander and come back later. I'm much too paranoid to have enjoyed the wander, so I made the call to join the queue at that point. It was a slightly chilly, but sunny, day and I got chatting to the lovely bunch of people around me. The atmosphere in the queue was good. Someone had numbered everyone's hands, which cut down on tension about jumping the queue or leaving it to get supplies. Turns out it wasn't an official thing - just some guy at the head of the queue taking the initiative (there's probably a PhD in sociology waiting for anyone who wants to research crowd psychology). Eventually, the doors opened, and I got a decent spot next to the sound desk.

So, yeah, Prince live, from the point of view of a casual fan who happened to be in the area:
Well, it definitely wasn't dire bland bilge! Prince is playing with a three-piece all-girl band, and it was a pretty hard-rocking set, as the clip of "Let's Go Crazy" above shows. What it doesn't show is that, at around the equivalent of 2:20 on the video, when the bass player (Ida Neilsen) kicked on the distortion, the whole place shook with the kind of tone that everyone prays for when they hit the magic button. The gig continued in a similar vein - highlights lots of solos, lots of funkiness and Prince taking the bass during an extended jam thing which combined solos AND funkiness, with maybe a bit of the aforementioned fuzz tone. He played for just under two hours, then the venue was cleared for the next set - that one ended up being three hours. I kind of wish I'd gone for my wander round Camden and got into that one instead, but then I'd have needed to figure out how to get back to Kent very late on a Sunday night.

Will Sittingbourne do you? They were covering the Kings of Sodding Leon's Sex is sodding on sodding Fire, and then went into sodding Snow Patrol. Don't get me wrong - they were competent musicians, but the song choices weren't to my taste, and at no point did the lead singer get the whole pub clapping along to his funk interlude by shouting "now, only the sexy people clap!"

Now the flying accusations and questions of judgement, taste and manners has subsided **ahem**

I'll add that a more recent album (from the last decade or so) Musicology has some great tunes - "On the Couch" for instance doesn't exhibit any crazy tricks, riffs or that but the slow groove of the tune and that killer drum sound, the [i]weight[/i] of the notes and thick bass tone to the feel from those sustained notes to dead stops had me hooked upon my first listen. I like Prince, sure he's made some sh*te but I ain't heard a good Metallica album in 40yrs didn't stop us from adding 'Bells' to a ceilidh set we played recently at a friends wedding;)

I think a lot of ppl can respect Prince for being a musical polymath. From songwriting, production to performance he's written more hits than I have and I'm fricking awesome :)

[quote name='wingnutkj' timestamp='1393798362' post='2384523']I've liked the funkier and rockier aspects of his work but steer clear of the balance[/quote]

Ugh - typo: that should be "ballads". I've got no problem with the balance - although how the whole band manages to dance around in high heels, I'll never know...