Why become a member? ×

Everyones An Expert.

Mr Stinky

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1388424851' post='2321852']
Next time he's at your gig, ask him to keep an eye on the guitarists technique and the vocalists pitching too as they've been looking for some advice on those issues ;)
[/quote]

Can I change my answer to this one

One of my bands has supported a couple of bands where the bassists haven't had a clue (root notes only for the verse and chorus of Wishing Well, for example). I have found it remarkably easy not to tell them where they're going wrong, partly because it's not the done thing, but partly because they're even more obnoxious than me. So the OP should take it as a compliment on his personality, that he is regarded as unobnoxious by his would-be mentor.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1388491125' post='2322533']
I'm reminded of the cretinous outpourings of the critics when Guy Pratt was pleasant enough to introduce himself on here a little while back.
[/quote]

Well, it is the internet and people get braver when not face to face...........
but yes, not one of the finest hours on here.

Have only experienced this once. Bloke came up to me between sets and told me my technique was all wrong. He said I should be reaching over the neck and fretting with my thumb (!) so I politely pointed him to the guitarist, who according to him had his eq all wrong. We're pretty hot on not hogging each others frequency, so during the next set the guitarist pretended to change settings without altering anything and got a big thumbs up from the numpty. Was told after the gig by a couple of locals that the bloke was an expert on everything and a constant source of entertainment for them

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1388495055' post='2322611']
Well, it is the internet and people get braver when not face to face...........
but yes, not one of the finest hours on here.
[/quote]

Indeed, I'd have to give you a big +1 on that one. Most disappointing, it was. (I sound a bit like Yoda there lol).

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1388495055' post='2322611']
people get braver when not face to face...........
[/quote]

Are you brave enough to tell who you are thinking of?
I criticised said gentleman in an open fashion, mentioning the exact anti-BC behaviour that I was critical of.
You yourself were among the many people who came with vague accusations that did not contribute to anything, except for entering vitriol on the forum.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1388495113' post='2322613']
No, I have a cretinous outpouring which seems to be rather threatening. Don't bother responding and leaving any more vitriol. Maybe there's something lost in translation.
[/quote]

Threatening?
Vitriol?

Hereby I ask the mods/administrators/owners whether they would be so kind as to comment on whether it's OK on BC to accuse people in the above fashion.

I have openly and with reason criticised one person for his, IMO appalling, behaviour on BC. The amount of FLAK, namecalling and false accusations (vitriolic even) that I have received as response to that, has been out of this world.
However, NOBODY has reacted negatively to those responses, and almost one year later, people still keep coming back to it in similar fashion.

Here is the exact PM I sent Bassman Steve. I think there is no threatening or vitriol. I'm open to being corrected.

Start PM:
"
"Cretinous outpourings", eh?
Oh, the irony...

So it's not OK for people to openly criticise with reason a person who has lied, manipulated and threatened, but it's quite OK for you to use words like that about people you do not mention so it gets hard for them to defend themselves, and without offering your reasons for your harsh conclusions?
"
End PM

Now, I guess that if one really wants to misconstrue what I wrote, one could say there is vitriol in the "irony" bit, but threatening?
FWIW, I never intended any threatening, but I did want to confront Bassman Steve with his writings.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1388503223' post='2322766']
Are you brave enough to tell who you are thinking of?
I criticised said gentleman in an open fashion, mentioning the exact anti-BC behaviour that I was critical of.
You yourself were among the many people who came with vague accusations that did not contribute to anything, except for entering vitriol on the forum.

Threatening?
Vitriol?

Hereby I ask the mods/administrators/owners whether they would be so kind as to comment on whether it's OK on BC to accuse people in the above fashion.

I have openly and with reason criticised one person for his, IMO appalling, behaviour on BC. The amount of FLAK, namecalling and false accusations (vitriolic even) that I have received as response to that, has been out of this world.
However, NOBODY has reacted negatively to those responses, and almost one year later, people still keep coming back to it in similar fashion.

Here is the exact PM I sent Bassman Steve. I think there is no threatening or vitriol. I'm open to being corrected.

Start PM:
"
"Cretinous outpourings", eh?
Oh, the irony...

So it's not OK for people to openly criticise with reason a person who has lied, manipulated and threatened, but it's quite OK for you to use words like that about people you do not mention so it gets hard for them to defend themselves, and without offering your reasons for your harsh conclusions?
"
End PM

Now, I guess that if one really wants to misconstrue what I wrote, one could say there is vitriol in the "irony" bit, but threatening?
FWIW, I never intended any threatening, but I did want to confront Bassman Steve with his writings.
[/quote]

Who pulled your chain..?

My comment about 'brave comments' was general... so no, not anyone in mind.
why...you feeling guilty or something...?

FWIW, I have no wish to reopen the debate in question so I suggest you, too, let it go.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1388495113' post='2322613']

No, I have a cretinous outpouring which seems to be rather threatening. Don't bother responding and leaving any more vitriol. Maybe there's something lost in translation.
[/quote]
Wow.... I would live to see that pm.

Read it now. (Doh edit for this.)

Edited by the boy

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1388494072' post='2322588']
So the OP should take it as a compliment on his personality, that he is regarded as unobnoxious by his would-be mentor.
[/quote]

In spite of my ex-wifes beliefs, I HAVE done something properly. Does being obnoxious mean i can get an amp that goes to 11? :lol:

I'm reminded of this.

Chaps, it's new years eve - I'm not expecting you to be arguing; I'm expecting you to be opening a few fine drinks and celebrating.

I haven't seen anything here worth falling out over, so let's not do so, eh? :)

Any lasting issues, then drop me a PM and we'll have a chat.

[quote name='Mr Stinky' timestamp='1388403482' post='2321504']
I'm speaking as a relative newbie to playing live here.

A friends band recently lost their bass player for a couple of weeks due to illness. To cover existing gigs, me and another guy are stepping in to help out as we know most of the set between us.

We played on Saturday night and it went quite well as we'd never played together before. However, after one of my spots, this 'expert' player decided to give me a lecture about economy of motion and correct fingering, citing the E string run-up in Tush. This wasn't a couple of comments, this was a university thesis standard verbal essay. He went on and on almost pushing me to a 'swift and to the point verbal retort'.

Is it really that important to use the correct fingering? My left pinky isn't that useful anyway due to a mis-spent youth, and how would you deal with this sort of character?
[/quote]

Just to clarify , was this guy the original bass player you are standing in for , or your fellow substitute bass player? If not, then you should have stopped this chap mid -sentence and asked him who he was and why he had taken it upon himself to offer you this advice ? And then turn your back on him.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1388504225' post='2322778']
My comment about 'brave comments' was general... so no, not anyone in mind.
why...you feeling guilty or something...?
[/quote]

Whilst i'm not feeling guilty for (what I thought was) having tried to stand up against someone whom I believed attacked BC, I do see I was the person who got all the FLAK back then and the references later, so yes, I do not believe it was totally out of order to expect your "brave" comment to have something to do with me.

I'm very glad though that this is not the case. Cheers!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1388504225' post='2322778']
FWIW, I have no wish to reopen the debate in question so I suggest you, too, let it go.
[/quote]

Like you, I have no wish to reopen the debate, and in fact had let it go back then even before all the FLAK came my way, as some specific info came my way about the situation that BC found itself in.
As a consequence, I also abstained from responding to that FLAK - - hard as it was, as the FLAK was very hurtful to me.

However, people keep referring to my actions for something like seven or eight months now, using words like dickhead, asshole, numpty, cretin and the like.

My silence in the matter has brought neither me nor BC in any other place than that the view seems to prevail that a nice person came to BC to share his wisdom, and was hounded away by the unforgivable actions of some asshole (me).
IMHO this is not a true representation of what happened.
Also, it is very hurtful to me, especially coming from BC - a place I love to death.
But then maybe I'm just way too sensitive.

Thanks for your response!
I wish upon you every bit of pleasantness and peace that the world has to offer.
Oh, and a Happy New Year! :drinks: