Why become a member? ×

Why buy sansamp DI ?

Black Coffee

The main reason I have it, and I'd guess this is the main reason for its popularity is its amp modelling. It's is meant to simulate the sound of the ampeg svt all valve heads.
It also has an eq, and the all important DI. I use this at the end of my effects board to sound kind of like I'm running an ampeg rig, it just adds that classic colour you would expect from a us valve head.
The beauty is if you are playing a gig with a sizeable PA you can perform sans amp (literally without amp) and have a more rich sound than just you good old countryman.

For starters it can make a mediocre amp sound bloody amazing.
You can use it without an amp for a great live sound through the PA, given adequate monitoring.
You can use it with or without an amp in the studio to get a great recorded sound with minimal messing about.
I use one, or at least something of its ilk, in every situation. And it's always on.
I don't regard it as an 'effect' as such.

Edit: [i]Almost[/i] beaten to it. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1388094907' post='2318556']
Does the Behringer BD121 do the same at a fraction of the cost...
[/quote]

It's not the same, but very similar, imho. A no-brainer for the cash. Everyone should have a BDI-21 with them at all times. ;)
It has a DI out as well and can be used DI-only without the tone shaping should it be necessary.

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1388095806' post='2318565']
Dare I ask if the EH big muff deluxe is a similar animal?
[/quote]

You can ask!

I don't own the deluxe big muff, but the only
Similarity is the DI. The sansamp is an ampeg modeller. The bass bight is a balls out fuzz
Pedal. Personally id like to have both!

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1388094907' post='2318556']
Does the Behringer BD121 do the same at a fraction of the cost only asking as I am thinking about one for the amp modelling features I have a zoom B1 but I am guessing the Samsamp or Behringer is better for the amp modelling I am not bothered about DI sorry for the slight thread hijack :)
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1388095468' post='2318563']
It's not the same, but very similar, imho. A no-brainer for the cash. Everyone should have a BDI-21 with them at all times. ;)
It has a DI out as well and can be used DI-only without the tone shaping should it be necessary.
[/quote]

Agreed, I actually prefer the BDI21 to the Sansamp as I find it colours the sound less. Great little bits of kit, and a bargain at the price.

Ironically I just procured a Sansamp recently and was going to start a thread showing the love for this wonderous bit of kit :) It really does make a mediocre amp sound the nuts! I've an Ampeg BA115HP which always, to me, sounds very 'solid state'...try as you might, without pedals you just can't get the bugger to break up. The SansAmp really does make it sound like an SVT on heat :)

[quote name='action_panzer' timestamp='1388154331' post='2318934']
However I've also heard excellent things about the Beringer DI with regards to its sound, but I've also heard they are quite unreliable...still, at the price, you can keep 3 in your gig bag at all times!
[/quote]

It has a plastic case which puts people off. I think you may [i]possibly [/i]have build-quality issues if you used it on the floor as a stomp pedal, but if it's kept safe on top of your amp while in use and in your gig bag when it's not, you should be OK. It's not really an 'effect' pedal as such.

It perhaps also doesn't help that the Behringer is bigger and also resembles an Early Learning Centre preamp/DI ;)
I've got a Sansamp and its fine, as people say, it's fairly coloured but in a good way IMO, certainly for live/backup use. My 3Leaf Enabler is a nicer preamp/DI, but that tends to get used for recording and practice.

Si

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1388094722' post='2318553']
IME, the Sansamp is very, very coloured, and will make a remarkable range of basses sound very similar.

If you like that sound, it's a Godsend.
[/quote]

This is the exact reason I don't use Ampeg, it leaves a massive toneprint with whatever instrument gets used, at least generally speaking. If you dig that sound then the Sansamp is for you though.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1388430104' post='2321931']

This is the exact reason I don't use Ampeg, it leaves a massive toneprint with whatever instrument gets used, at least generally speaking. If you dig that sound then the Sansamp is for you though.
[/quote]

Does this mean that if you have tried ampeg and weren't impressed then the sansamp is not for you?

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1388444436' post='2322171']
Does this mean that if you have tried ampeg and weren't impressed then the sansamp is not for you?
[/quote]

Maybe that's true of me, I think the Sansamp does lend itself to an Ampeg-type sound. Others I'm sure will tell you how much success they will have had with theirs though, I'd just say try out before you buy.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1388445293' post='2322186']
Apologies for hijacking the thread but do Sansamp / BDI users put them in front of the amp or in the fx loop?
[/quote]

I use it parallel to my amp, bass into sansamp, sansamp DI to desk, dry out from sansamp to my amp. That way I specify my sound to the PA via the sansamp and my onstage sound via my amp.
Simples. If my amp blows up, then I still have signal to FOA

Si

Number of reasons I never leave home without one...I've had the misfortune of my valve head having one of the KT88's go mid gig.....'Don't panic!!!!' It was just a case of get the Sansamp out of the case and run a XLR to the desk and straight back in. The EQ, etc. is fantastic and certainly thickens up your sound; really puts the 'meat on the bones.' With one of the projects I play with, I never take my head or cab and just go straight to desk with a the monitor in front of me doing the work and personally, think it sounds great.
When I've used it for recording, the tone hasn't needed much tweaking during the final mix.....it's an all round winner in my view! If not for you, they always hold their price pretty well when looking to sale.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1388095468' post='2318563']

[/quote]

Can you power the BDI-21 from phantom like you can the BDDI?

Edited by Graham

I use the MXR M80. Pretty much the same thing, I just went for this because it was a bit cheaper than the sansamp.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/m80-bass-di

I'm surprised to see so many top bassists using it rather than the sansamp. Check the list on the product page!

Edited by Bankai

Well the MXR is a more versatile (or at least I thought it was) and has a less full-on tone, doesn`t colour the sound so much so maybe that`s why it gets the choice. I thought it was a good bit of kit, and linked very well with Gallien Krueger amps.