Why become a member? ×

The future of basses......really?!

Joeyfivebags

BRX has probably got one of these on order already.

These sound bloody marvellous to me, I must admit. It's like a Steinberger , but better.

How long before they offer a budget version made in Indonesia from compressed Bacofoil and Kit Kat wrappers ?

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1387651370' post='2314276']
Obviously BRX would play it on stage, in public... but would you? I wouldn't. Which probably makes me very shallow.
[/quote]

I would play one on stage if I lived in the future, when no doubt designs like this will proliferate, but to be honest with you, I'm not really even living in the present. Never mind embracing change, I'm still trying to come to terms with the fact that I am going to have to pay the Poll Tax. Stainless steel basses is a bit too much for me to take in .2013 is a bit too much for me to take in .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1387652176' post='2314294']
Stainless steel basses is a bit too much for me to take in. 2013 is a bit too much for me to take in .
[/quote]

I know what you mean. I got a full driving licence in 1982 - the expiry date is 2034. At the time I thought, 'Ha, ha! That's never going to happen!'. And it hasn't of course... but it's seems a hell of a lot more likely now than it did then. :mellow:

But then I remember thinking that Prince's '1999' was set in the far future, too - back in 1982. Now it's ancient history. Young master discreet has no idea who Prince even [i]is[/i]. Or was. :mellow: The future is with us. Along with steel basses. And sinister military robot dogs with no heads or asses that can do stuff. It's true.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1czBcnX1Ww"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1czBcnX1Ww[/url]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1387653170' post='2314302']
I know what you mean. I got a full driving licence in 1982 - the expiry date is 2034. At the time I thought, 'Ha, ha! That's never going to happen!'. And it hasn't of course... but it's seems a hell of a lot more likely now than it did then. :mellow:

But then I remember thinking that Prince's '1999' was set in the far future, too - back in 1982. Now it's ancient history. Young master discreet has no idea who Prince even [i]is[/i]. Or was. :mellow: The future is with us. Along with steel basses. And sinister military robot dogs with no heads or asses that can do stuff. It's true.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1czBcnX1Ww[/media]
[/quote]

Without going into details, there have been women in my life who, looking back now , seemed emit a very similar noise as that robot does .

We are indeed living in the future. Reality as we knew it actually came to an end about twenty years ago, and what has happened since then has all been folly. The hardest thing for me to cope with has been the advent of Facebook and seeing pictures of girls I knew at school with their daughters who are now grown up and older than their mums were when I knew them. Stainless steel basses is nothing compared to that.

I found out that there is a Facebook page set up by people I went to school with trying to find out what happened to me and where I am now. I have been thinking about setting up my own Facebook page trying to find out the same thing.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1387653924' post='2314314']
I found out that there is a Facebook page set up by people I went to school with trying to find out what happened to me and where I am now. I have been thinking about setting up my own Facebook page trying to find out the same thing.
[/quote]
Wow...it's great that people either care enough, or not so great that they are otherwise nosy enough, about you to go to that length.

If you do set up a facebook page to find out the same...remember to add yourself as a friend!

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1387653924' post='2314314']
[/quote]

That way lies madness. I've set up a decoy facebook page specifically to divert attention away from my activities. I have no doubt you are wasting your life on this forum - if you get involved with facebook all will be lost. I'm thinking of starting a campaign for real reality... (and real basses too - in an attempt to stay on topic)...

...edit to add reassuring smiley... :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1387659678' post='2314397']
By the time that takes over I will be dead, thank God.
[/quote]

But no-one's using steel violins, are they? It's still the 300-year-old Strad that is most desirable. If a bit expensive.

'Steel Violins'... sounds like a chick-flick. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1387660239' post='2314404']
But no-one's using steel violins, are they? It's still the 300-year-old Strad that is most desirable. If a bit expensive.

'Steel Violins'... sounds like a chick-flick. :)
[/quote]
Yep, I'll be dead before it happens. But the violin comparison is only partially appropriate because those Strads are acoustic instruments unlike this bass.

Screw that. All these years I spent practicing NOT getting my thumb over the fretboard...

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1387652115' post='2314289']
Wonder how one would 'refret' it, should the frets wear down.

Etc. ;)
[/quote]
It looks like you just need to give the neck half a turn...

Now, seriously, one of those with a telescopic neck as a travel bass?

[/quote]

Not the stealth version, obviously :lol:

[/quote]
This would take One Man and His Dog to a new level.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1387654591' post='2314329']
Wow...it's great that people either care enough, or not so great that they are otherwise nosy enough, about you to go to that length.

[/quote]

Part of me would love to get back in touch with those people , but I have my suspicions the whole thing is part of an elaborate sting operation by the Child Support Agency or Operation Yewtree.