Why become a member? ×

Which all valve amp to replace my...

andydye

So currently I have:

DHA VT-1 which I use to valve-ify my Acoustic Image Focus II and it does sound really good (especially through my EAD foundation 212 - which is 4ohm btw), I'd like to cut down on the amount of stuff I have to carry though so was wondering whether an all valve head might be the way forward as the DHA is 'always on'...

I'm mostly using my Fender MIM Cabronita p-bass with this set-up.

What I've no idea about is:
What other options are there (besides Ashdown CTM stuff and Matamp)
How much power will be needed to be comparably loud and have that valvey break-up (I run my AI on about half and it's a 500W head) single notes when played fingerstyle are clean-ish but fat, pick playing gives a bit of break and double stops have distinct drive but all with lots of juicy fat bottom.

Budget won't be massive either, mebbe £750 (once my jazz sells anyway)

the ability to DI in certain circumstances would be v useful too, I know it doesn't sound the same as straight-outta the cab but the flexibility of both would be beneficial...

Edited by andydye

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1387280930' post='2310106']
You'll be significantly increasing the weight of your lifts in order to reduce the item count by 1!

I'd make this change for tone but I wouldn't change if you like how you sound.
[/quote]

it may actually be an overall weight reduction (and one less trip to the car - so all could be done in one trip) as I'd not have to bother with my pedal case (which is fairly hefty) and the separate amp head as the sound would be entirely in the amp?

Edited by andydye

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1387282141' post='2310123']
it may actually be an overall weight reduction as I'd not have to bother with my pedal case
[/quote]

Valve amp heads are VERY heavy (like 50kg+)

The new Mesa Prodigy and Strategy are pretty lightweight.
I have not tried them - too expensive for me - but on paper look like my ideal amp... a bit more than your budget though.

You'll be looking at a beaten up second hand one for that price range. Or a Bugera :ph34r: .

I'd be looking for about 200W+ Valve amp to compete with your 500w solid state and give you some headroom.
the all valve SVTs are about 300w I think, Mesa Classic are 400w

I have a 160w and it's not quite enough.

Don't forget to allow for a service and replacement valves if you're buying a used one off eBay :)

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1387283072' post='2310146']
Valve amp heads are VERY heavy (like 50kg+)

The new Mesa Prodigy and Strategy are pretty lightweight.
I have not tried them - too expensive for me - but on paper look like my ideal amp... a bit more than your budget though.

You'll be looking at a beaten up second hand one for that price range. Or a Bugera :ph34r: .

I'd be looking for about 200W+ Valve amp to compete with your 500w solid state and give you some headroom.
the all valve SVTs are about 300w I think, Mesa Classic are 400w

I have a 160w and it's not quite enough.

Don't forget to allow for a service and replacement valves if you're buying a used one off eBay :)
[/quote]

I've had all valve guitar stuff in the past (a '74 twin reverb that I couldn't lift without assistance, a '80s Marshall non master vol head that was mega...a few other things too) so am sort of prepared for the weight...

had a quick google and the Ashdown CTM100 is 19kg and the CTM300 is 33kg, no idea how heavy a Matamp is though (GT200 seems to ring a bell as to being [i]the[/i] valve bass amp king?)

Thanks for the 200w tip, I know I really need to go somewhere that's got some so I can try them (and get an idea of volumes / weight etc) but where has this sort of thing apart form hopping across to Matamp but then they only have Matamp don't they...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1387283174' post='2310149']
I came to the same conclusion as you and have just bought myself a 1972 Burman MPA Pre and SL100 Powerpak Slave.
I'm preparing myself for their arrival by doing weights for at least an hour a day... :blink:
[/quote]

that sounds exciting! I look forward to a n.a.d. thread with pics of you lifting them above your head when they arrive :lol:

Traynor are superb value. Otherwise, look for a Mesa Boogie Bass 400+ or a Buster combo but be prepared for a huge wait/weight (aha).

I came to the same conclusion as you and have just bought myself a 1972 Burman MPA Pre and SL100 Powerpak Slave.
I'm preparing myself for their arrival by doing weights for at least an hour a day... :blink:
[/quote]

Was that the set advertised on Ebay recently? I was tempted but I have too much gear I don't regularly use as it is. There was a complete set for sale recently too - with vertical stakced speakers. Welcome to the club though ;)

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bugera-BVV3000-Vintage-All-Valve-Bass/dp/B00BBZ622S"]this[/url] is about the best new all-valve amp you'll get for £750

It's a Behringer, but don't let it put you off, they are basically a classic SVT clone made with modern components.
IF the valve life multiplier thing really works it'll save you a fortune in valves.

I was and still am seriously considering one of these... pretty much anything else (Ashdown, Ampeg, Orange, blackstar etc. etc.) will be double the price (Mesa will be 3x the price or more!).

EDIT: For a bit more, [url="http://www.hartnollguitars.co.uk/Eden_E300T_300W_All_Valve_Bass_Head_PDT_5106"]this[/url] looks pretty good :)

Otherwise you're looking for something like what discreet has got - a solid used one that might need a bit of work. Sound City, Burman, Carlsboro, Simms etc. all made some pretty good gear back in the 60s and 70s. Although much of it is fetching a pretty penny these days, especially anything over 100 watts.

Are you sure you want to go all-valve though?
Great as the DHA is (I have one) with a solid state amp, it's not the same as a valve power amp, nothing is, believe me I've tried!

Edited by brensabre79

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1387284162' post='2310167']
... no idea how heavy a Matamp is though (GT200 seems to ring a bell as to being [i]the[/i] valve bass amp king?)

[/quote]

A 1970's Matamp GT200 or Orange AD200 (they're effectively close cousins) would come in at about 27Kg.

Come down to 100W and the weight drops to about 23Kg.

My GT100 Special was built for me with lower weight as a priority, and it weighs just under 18Kg. Only one in captivity though.

Incidentally, I have yet to take my GT100 anywhere near full volume playing pub gigs ... just saying.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1387285211' post='2310188']
Are you sure you want to go all-valve though?
Great as the DHA is (I have one) with a solid state amp, it's not the same as a valve power amp, nothing is, believe me I've tried!
[/quote]

I think that you've hit the question/nail precisely on the head there matey!

I've never tried one on bass so have no idea whether it will be what I imagine it to be or if I'll be over or underwhelmed by my imagination / reality...

I need someone around here (Sheffield/South Yorkshire) to loan me one briefly don't I

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1387290365' post='2310290']
A 1970's Matamp GT200 or Orange AD200 (they're effectively close cousins) would come in at about 27Kg.

Come down to 100W and the weight drops to about 23Kg.

My GT100 Special was built for me with lower weight as a priority, and it weighs just under 18Kg. Only one in captivity though.

Incidentally, I have yet to take my GT100 anywhere near full volume playing pub gigs ... just saying.
[/quote]

I like the sound of your GT100 special, is there a thread about it somewhere (a quick search hasn't turned up anything much in amps/cabs)? Lightweight (ish), classy matamp goodness!

I'm already swaying heavily towards a matamp...is this the end for me :gas:

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1387290365' post='2310290']
[/quote]

Yep THE 200 valve watts for 500 solid state watts suggested above is perhaps a bit crude, I've played 600w of solid state that wouldn't get anywhere near my 100w of Ampeg tubes. Speaker efficiency is a big part of the equation.

C

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1387291442' post='2310321']
I like the sound of your GT100 special, is there a thread about it somewhere (a quick search hasn't turned up anything much in amps/cabs)? Lightweight (ish), classy matamp goodness!

I'm already swaying heavily towards a matamp...is this the end for me :gas:
[/quote]

I like the sound of my GT100 too. :D I run it through a Barefaced 69er and it looks & sounds [i]les coulis du chien[/i].

[url="http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Equipment%20and%20stuff%20CURRENT/VisittoBarefaced8_zps67f42db9.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Equipment%20and%20stuff%20CURRENT/Matamp_zps76e8c9ce.jpg.html"][/url]

There's no build thread as such but a number of lucky, lucky Basschatters played through this rig at the last SouthEast BassBash.

I had a lot of help sourcing this amp from Matamp, with Steve Taylor (tayste_2000) getting things moving for me. Matamp happened to have a completed GT100 chassis with no valves or casing, so we persuaded them to complete the amp with a casing built to my light-weight requirement.

In the classic tradition of British craftsmanship, they adopt a measured approach to job completion (please feel free to read between the lines) but it was worth the wait, it was absolutely worth the wait.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1387291528' post='2310324']
Yep THE 200 valve watts for 500 solid state watts suggested above is perhaps a bit crude, I've played 600w of solid state that wouldn't get anywhere near my 100w of Ampeg tubes. Speaker efficiency is a big part of the equation.
C
[/quote]

I'm flying very much blind here, just trying to get some info together before I set off trying to test stuff B)

Edited by andydye

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1387291959' post='2310335']
I like the sound of my GT100 too. :D I run it through a Barefaced 69er and it looks & sounds [i]les coulis du chien[/i].
[url="http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Equipment%20and%20stuff%20CURRENT/VisittoBarefaced8_zps67f42db9.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Equipment%20and%20stuff%20CURRENT/Matamp_zps76e8c9ce.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

that does very look the danglies of the dog sir :hi:
I like it's simplicity, just very very smart looking indeed!

Edited by andydye

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1387291442' post='2310321']
I'm already swaying heavily towards a matamp... is this the end for me :gas:
[/quote]

I'd say it was more like the beginning.
I'd have opted for a Matamp too, given sufficient folding paper - but it's not to be. Not yet, anyway.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1387294352' post='2310374']
I'd say it was more like the beginning.
I'd have opted for a Matamp too, given sufficient folding paper - but it's not to be. Not yet, anyway.
[/quote]

:D

it may take me some time to be able to try one and then some time after that before I can approach buying one, but I love the 'buy British' concept and Matamp are king, unless my mate who used to work for them can build one for me in which case MJW here I come woohoo!

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1387284561' post='2310177']
Was that the set advertised on Ebay recently? I was tempted but I have too much gear I don't regularly use as it is. There was a complete set for sale recently too - with vertical stakced speakers. Welcome to the club though ;)
[/quote]

Yes, thanks. I'm really looking forward to it. I've spent ages trying to get close to the big sound of an SVT I had back in the day and only recently have I realised that there's only one way to do that... duh. :)

[/quote]

That's testosteriffic! If you weren't so manly you'd be an animal. Grrrrrrr