Why become a member? ×

Calling all Gamblers

Guest MoJo

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150264732754&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123"]P-bass on eBay[/url]

[quote]i have seen similar guitars going on here for hundreds of pounds without the case[/quote]
Yes...but they were certainly genuine Fenders

[quote]i did not buy this guitar from a shop it was bought for me as a present therefor i cannot confirm that it or all the parts are authentic[/quote]
What I think you're trying to say is, "I'm pretty sure it's a fake but I hope some hapless mug out there will pay £500 for this £120 copy"

[quote]the item is sold as seen with no return[/quote]
ALARM BELLS!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you think?

Edited by bassman2790

[quote name='bassman2790' post='228874' date='Jun 29 2008, 09:21 AM']What do you think?[/quote]

At the very minimum, the neck and tuners are replacements. The tuners are the sort you'll find on a lot of Korean instruments, that's a definite - and they match the string guide, also of that origin. The giveaway on the neck is the headstock shape - see the curve directly under the word "Precision", it's far too "curved" for a Fender. Add to that that he's using a early 70's "Precision" logo with a silver "Fender" logo - the "Fender" should be black. Finally, I think that the little logo after the word "Bass" is the "Offset Contour Body" logo, which is a nice touch, only that logo was only put onto Jazz basses!! Just a typical example of some applying a Fender decal and not doing their research to make sure it's correct.

I'm not sure on the body, maybe someone else could add a comment?

I'd be very cautious with any bids on this. Having said that, it's starting at 99p, and I'm sure the bass plus case has got to be worth at least £100, so it might be worth watching.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='228907' date='Jun 29 2008, 10:41 AM']at least the phrets are in good condition[/quote]
Phrets?

He means "fretts" - surely! :)

Hope the kneck's straight...

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

machineheads and pickups (larger mounting ears) look like the ones on the '91 Korean squier I started on.
only 9 screws in the pickguard?

note that the Fender neckplate he's put on has a hole for microtilt adjust.

Edited by SJA

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='229219' date='Jun 29 2008, 08:05 PM']Surely you mean "The Arm" :)[/quote]

It was "the handle" on one I saw last week. :huh:

Anyway, just as well it's not frettles. Might need a new knut though.

J.

I've just asked him:
[quote]Did you use letraset to put the serial number & "made in USA" on or is it a fake transfer like the logo?[/quote]

I'm not expecting a reply or for the question to appear on the listing though.

It makes me sick that a-holes like this can pretend to be ignorant of an obvious fake in the hope of ripping off some sucker. He knows its a cheap copy with some bits added to make it look at a casual glance to be a USA fender. When the auction ends the buyer needs to be told what he has won before he pays Fender money for an argos bass.
:) :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :) :)

Guest MoJo

[quote]When the auction ends the buyer needs to be told what he has won before he pays Fender money for an argos bass.[/quote]

Unfortunately, our seller has set his auction to [b]private[/b] to "protect the bidders identity" or more truthfully, to stop anyone from warning them what they are really bidding on....curses! Foiled again!

Edited by bassman2790

[quote name='bassman2790' post='231022' date='Jul 2 2008, 12:09 AM']Unfortunately, our seller has set his auction to [b]private[/b] to "protect the bidders identity" or more truthfully, to stop anyone from warning them what they are really bidding on....curses! Foiled again![/quote]

No, it isn't specifically private - eBay are doing that as a matter of course now, but only while the auction is running. Once it is finished the winner will be revealed. Private auctions say so on the main auction page.

Well, it's still there. When I innocently tried to sell 2 train tickets I couldn't use anymore (a breach of listing rules I'm told) my auction got pulled within 4 hours and I got a very sh*tty warning mail from ebay telling me that if I did not strictly adhere to rules my account would be pulled.

Maybe with this (and other similar auctions) if the item sells and the buyer later finds out they've bought a fake they might have a valid claim against ebay because ebay let the auction run having been informed the goods are fake - ergo, they have knowingly allowed and facilitated counterfeit goods to be sold on their website - and profited from it.

Hamster

thats so dodgy looks like the truss rod adjustment is at headstock end too, and you can just make out writing on back of headstock nr the 1st machinehead if thats the serial thats a new place to put it? someone has bid over £250 for a fake,although he does confirm he cant vouch for it or all the parts are authentic no sh*t, it or any of the parts more like bloody clown i hate people who try it on he must know