Why become a member? ×

Geezer.......He's the Geezer

sykilz

Apologies if anyone posted anywhere else about Sabbath at the O2 last night, but I was lucky enough to be about 25 feet from Geezer Butler, wow what a great player, his plucking hand is frantic, and he fills in so much sound to make their riffs more " bouncy". Great sound where I was too, he played Laklands from what I could see, mostly P types with good punch to the sound. Good night!

Geezer is indeed the guv'nor.

What a fantastic player. His sound is always great, and his playing over the years has been an inspiration . Heaven And Hell and Mob Rules are my favourite albums for Geezers playing , but he is great on everything Sabbath have ever done . In fact, it was Geezer Butler and Geddy Lee that really inspired me to take up the bass, and I like to think that if by some amazing breakthrough in medical science Geezer and Geddy were able to have a child together then I would be that child.

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1386789325' post='2304625']
Taking the boy to the Manchester gig next week. Way back in the arena so better take my opera glasses :lol:
[/quote]

You know the World has changed when dads take their kids to Black Sabbath concerts. My dad used to take me to crown green bowling.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1386790926' post='2304673']
Plus ca change, [b]Dingus[/b], plus ca change. :)
[/quote]

I know, I know , Paul, but I've heard about people being introduced to the music of Iron Maiden by their [i]grandparents[/i] ! All my grandparents introduced me to was Nutalls Mintoes and the pain of haemorrhoids.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1386783911' post='2304519']
Geezer Butler was one of my main formative influences on the bass. I regard him as one of the greatest rock players of all time...superb!
[/quote]
Just been listening to my Sabbath compilation in the car. I concur!

Here, hopefully, is a very very poor photo taken with my very old phone, which manages to make it look further away than I actually was! Really got to appreciate the work rate of Mr Butler, in fact it was funny to see just before the solo bass bit at the start of NIB a roadie applied some sort of mist spray to his right hand, assumedly some sort of pain killer like footballers magic spray!!

I was always a Maiden man growing up, and though I liked Sabbath it wasn't until I got into heavier stuff like Metallica that I went back to Sabbath in the 90's and really grew to love them and appreciate how good they were as musicians. Must admit ( ducking for cover) that the Dio stuff is my absolute favourite, though obv all the classics are from Ozzy, and I love him too!

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1386793898' post='2304743']
BTW my first ever gig was Ozzy solo in '86 at Hammy Odeon, the Jake E Lee era, so a bit of a
full circle type experience last night.
[/quote]

I was at that one. I think ratt were supporting. Ozzy looked like Sharon in eastenders in them days. Not his best period imho