Why become a member? ×

Should I take the plunge?

tombboy

This is really a bit of a no-brainer but I'm still unsure.

Basically I have been offered a mint (and when I say mint... I mean 10/10!!) Ric 4003 in fireglow. Five years old but hardly out of the case. NEVER been gigged just very occasional studio use.
I've played it and it's a stunner!!
The current owner's daughter needs a new violin so this has to go to finance it.
Basically the bass, the case and all the paraphenalia that goes with it for £730.00

Now, I know it's a bargain but I'm a 'Ray man through and through. Although I have a huge appreciation for Rics and find them very asthetic on the eye, they are uncomfortable for me to play after the contoured shape of the Stingray. I could probably dial in the sound I need and it would suit the image for our band (Mod type music) but is it going to get the usage it deserves?

I have a month to mull it over.... what do you guys think?

Edited by tombboy

If you don't think you'll play it, don't buy it. If it's a friend selling it I'd feel a bit of an a-hole about buying it for peanuts, then maybe instantly flipping it for a profit. In that case I'd try to advise the seller how to best sell it for more, or offer to sell it for him and maybe taking a small commission for my trouble.

If armed with the knowledge that he's asking way too little, but still insists on selling at that price, then I'd buy it no problem.

If it isn't from a friend, however it depends how comfortable you feel about making a profit out of his ignorance.

The fella knows he can get more for it on the 'bay or what not... but he's offered it to me for that price, knowing I'll look after it. There'd be no question of me selling it on to make a quick profit.... that would be taking the piss out of my mate's generosity. The dilemma is, do I buy it at a bargain price knowing I'm getting a bargain and persevere with it, or let it go to another for a bigger price but knowing it'll get played more? ARRGGH!!

Edited by tombboy

I love Musicmen basses but I also love the Ric Shape and TBH I've had 3 Rics at different times and always sold them to return to MM basses
might just be the active v passive thing but I struggle with Rics on stage saying that I would love another Jetglow just for the look :)

Always loved the look/image of Ricks, but never got one for the same reasons as yourself. As a bit of a fatalist though I believe that the right bass sometimes find you rather than vice-versa, and if Mod-type muic is yor thing the this is THE bass of choice - you might just find it adds a whole new dimension to your playing because it demands to be played differentlly. My fave finish too!
At that price, go for it!

I'd always loved the look of Rickys and bought an old well played '73 on a bit of a whim. Tried to get on with it but just couldn't get to grips with it. Only really worked for me playing with a pick.

Since buying it it's hardly been out of the case I'm afraid.

Needs the nut replacing which I need to get sorted before I'll sell it but as soon as I get round to that it'll be up for sale.

if your friend is giving it to you cheap because he knows you'll look after it, then if you were to sell it for a profit it really would be like slappin him across the face. a bargain is a bargain, but theres no point in spending that kind of money and forcing yourself to like it is there?

I'd say go for it.

Try it and see how you get on.

If you find that you cannot live with it, tell your friend and ask if he'd mind if you sold it and offer him some of the profit.

I've had 3 4003s, a 4000 and 2 japcrap copies. They are really beautiful basses but I find them very uncomfortable.

After the end of one gig I thought I'd developed arthritis just because it was so uncomfortable but at least I can say that I've tried to use one or rather 6.

One thing that I also found bad about them is that none of the real ones I've owned were finished like a bass of that price should be. My Midnight blue one had to eventually go back because of colour bleed onto the white binding.

Anyway, to get back on track, just go for it. If you can afford to buy it and you've always wanted one then do it. I, personally have owned most of the basses I have always wanted to own at one point without ever ending up out of pocket by buying carefully.

I would hate to look back and think about a bass that I could've had but didn't take when i had the chance.

I would definitely buy it if you have the cash...but i wouldn't bank on selling it for too much more if you do...there's quite a few on ebay at the moment and people seem reluctant to part with a decent wedge for them...probably cos of the economic climate at the moment. I recently picked up a 2003 Montezuma Brown 4003 for a good price myself...though nowhere near as cheap as you've been offered your friends. i love playing it as it's sound suits me down to the ground and it's much lighter than my Fender custom.

I have my eye on a 4001 on ebay at the moment but have a feeling that the seller is going to be looking for silly money for it :)

I would buy it for that price, i like rics but i'm not a fan of stingrays (sorry) i just cant get my head around the pickup position, im a precision man.
I bought a stingray copy last year when i first started learning and while it sounded really nice (obviously not a patch on a real stingray) i just couldnt get used to it so i went and bought a MIM precision which im really happy with and feel very comfortable using.
back to the matter in hand, buy the ric, its a bargain and if you dont like it then sell it on for what you paid for it, you know you will get the price no problem and you wont feel guilty about making aa profit courtesy of your mate, plus someone will get a bargain.

Go for it man!!
you never know you may find it,s the thing you always wanted...
I learned to play on a ric copy and now I own the real thing it has convinced me that it,s the sound I,ve been trying for years to attain. If only they made a six string with an f#......