Why become a member? ×

Buying/trading a used amp: would you expect a power cable?

Roland Rock

I'll not go into detail as I don't want to skew things, but a couple of amp transactions recently have contradicted my way of thinking in this matter. This is certainly not a whinge or complaint about the people I transacted with, just a way to see what the consensus is.

Edited by Roland Rock

I voted yes because they are so cheap (about £1.50) that I would always include one for anything I sold and if I bought something that didn't include one then they are so cheap (did I mention about £1.50) that I wouldn't worry about it and just get a spare one out of my box full of them.

Would people get upset if a bass is sold without a plectrum? I'd suggest it's a similar level of triviality.

They generally come with a kettle lead when you buy them new, so yes - I would expect the power connector to be included in the sale. If it is the buyer's first or only amp, I think it would be rude to sell them the amp with no way of plugging it in! <_<

I would have voted for options 1 [b][i]and[/i][/b] 3 had that been available! :)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1386250804' post='2297694']
Would people get upset if a bass is sold without a plectrum? I'd suggest it's a similar level of triviality.
[/quote]

I don't think it is. You can use a bass in the absence of a plectrum - but try using an amp with no power cable! :P

I'd have also gone for options 1 and 3; in the end I went with 3. I've got into a strange habit of hoarding kettle leads ever since a bit of a hiccup with a return to a mail order company - they replaced the amp very promptly but forgot to send a cable with the new one! Now I always check before I part with my cash...and this minor incident was nearly 12 years ago! Maybe I'm just a bit neurotic.

As flyfisher said, the things are easy enough to find and replace. I think what I really worry about is making sure I've got one with a 5A fuse in it, as everything else in the house seems to run off 3 or 13A. Not that I've managed to blow a fuse in an amp to date...maybe I really am just neurotic!

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1386250804' post='2297694']
[/quote]

This.

TBH, I'd care not either way. In terms of euro leads, I've probably got at least 4 or 5 spares kicking around in my leads bag. Further ones in the band's leads box. For me, it seems a bit trivial if you're quibbling about a power lead. After all, you should as a working musician have a number of them as spares.

Mind you, flipping that on it's head, you should be including one of your many spares as part of the deal.

So there. That's me covered for any offence taken. :D :P

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1386251147' post='2297702']
I don't think it is. You can use a bass in the absence of a plectrum - but try using an amp with no power cable! :P
[/quote]

Fair point - I was thinking more about the cost. But, as others have mentioned, a spare lead really should be in every player's gig bag. I bet few of us don't carry a £20-ish set of spare strings or a £10+ spare instrument lead, so why not a £1.50 mains lead?

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1386251331' post='2297707']
If I sell an amp, I'd include one.

As for buying - I wouldn't really care either way. I've literally dozens of good tested ones here already.
[/quote]

This.

I think it's reasonable to expect a power lead to be included when you buy an amp, because it won't work without it.
But because most of us already have an assortment at home, it's largely irrelevant.

More a case of practicality perhaps?
Having neatly packed your amp in bubble wrap and found a nice box to fit you then realise you have this odd shaped lumpy thing to include as well.
Just a note in your ad saying power lead excluded for ease of packing explains all.

My Hiwatt has a Bulgin plug. The amp would be difficult to power up without it. One shouldn't assume that everyone has 'spares' of anything that came with the item when new. A bass sold without strings..? After all, we all have spares, don't we..? Well don't we..? :rolleyes:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1386260873' post='2297893']
My Hiwatt has a Bulgin plug. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I'd be taking that round to the amp tech in very short order to get the Bulgin plug replaced with something modern and safe.

I voted no, but there's one exception: if I was sold something as 'PAT Tested' I'd expect a tested lead to be included, since this affects the test period of the lead.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1386261627' post='2297904']
I'd be taking that round to the amp tech in very short order to get the Bulgin plug replaced with something modern and safe....
[/quote]

:lol: Thanks, and I understand the 'short' comings of these plugs (I'm old, too...). It's the same as fitting seatbelts to a XK120; one is 'vintage' with potential dangers, the other is more in line with modern thinking. I've checked the plug, and, for the use I have, it's reasonable. Good call, though. B)

Edited by Dad3353