Why become a member? ×

Venues booked up further and further in advance

PaulWarning

tried to get a gig about a month ago at a local pub, took a DVD in spoke to the landlord and he said "we're already booked up to 2015!" and that's before he's looked at the DVD.
This happening more and more, is this happening to everybody or am I getting paranoid

Not that I've noticed (West London and outwards).

[Sweeping generalisation] Landlords in this area run 6-month diaries. They get their Jan-Jun 2014 dates sorted in more-or-less Oct/Nov 2013, and they won't pay too much attention to Jul-Dec 2014 until next Easter. [/Sweeping generalisation]

There are of course plenty of individual exceptions if you look closely enough, but I've spent a fair bit of time in the last two months hacking around looking for gigs, and that's the best analysis I can offer.

Having the whole of 2014 already booked seems a bit excessive to me, especially if it's a pub. There are bound to be cancellations, best thing to do is ask to be included on a 'standby' list that can be contacted in case a band pulls out of a gig (always happens). I know my lot are provisionally taking some dates well into 2014 already but in most cases it is places which we have monthly residencies at anyway.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1385739608' post='2291739']
Kev's advice is good, about getting on standby list. :)

We have pub bookings up until December 2014,
[/quote]
Yeah we've been on standby lists before, sods law being what it is we usually can['t do the last minute gigs for one reason or another

Depends... the bigger gigs are booked or the dates held over to confirmation..but pubs book in a few ..and if they have not got the bands that they want...they will hold over dates for that band.

One or two pubs say they will do their diary for the year on a specific date and expect bands to call in on that date.
I think that is more to do with the LL's ego than anything else...

Plenty of last minuite stuff as well..
I think it depends if the venues know and want you...

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1385743370' post='2291791']
thethe Lion at Basford
[/quote]
That was my local for nearly 20 years but didn't get to actually play it until I'd moved from the area. That was about 3 bands back, not played it with current band. I think they always tended to stick with their 'favourites' even the bands that never seemed to pull a big crowd. I'll ask band leader to see if he knows any background to what's going on there.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1385743370' post='2291791']
thethe Lion at Basford
[/quote]

Technically this is my "local" as it's the pub closest to where I live. It has a good atmosphere, great beer and they do a cracking Sunday lunch. However their taste in live music is pretty dire IMO and there are few places to sit where it isn't overpowering, so I rarely go there anymore. These days I prefer Bar Deux where I can choose whether or not I want to listen to the bands.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1385762149' post='2292070']
That was my local for nearly 20 years but didn't get to actually play it until I'd moved from the area. That was about 3 bands back, not played it with current band. I think they always tended to stick with their 'favourites' even the bands that never seemed to pull a big crowd. I'll ask band leader to see if he knows any background to what's going on there.
[/quote]
Cheers

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1385762857' post='2292080']
Technically this is my "local" as it's the pub closest to where I live. It has a good atmosphere, great beer and they do a cracking Sunday lunch. However their taste in live music is pretty dire IMO and there are few places to sit where it isn't overpowering, so I rarely go there anymore. These days I prefer Bar Deux where I can choose whether or not I want to listen to the bands.
[/quote]
Funnily enough I was in My local last night the Cornmill at Chilwell which is really a drinking and eating pub, have a band on the last Friday of every month, last night they were way too loud, you have to ask yourself, why?