Why become a member? ×

NBD - G&L USA Content

goblin

Ooooh, lovely, I've got L2500 GAS at the moment, I keep thinking about trading in my tribby L2000 for it's 5-string brother.

Looking forward to seeing pics, my SB2 is a '95 in midnight blue swirl, so looking forward to seeing how the colours compare.

[URL=http://s88.photobucket.com/user/goblin92/media/9A5550A9-313C-419B-AFE7-DB0E1BFC3100_zpsh3esgq2f.jpg.html][IMG]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/goblin92/9A5550A9-313C-419B-AFE7-DB0E1BFC3100_zpsh3esgq2f.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

As requested :) Got my eyes out for gold hardware for it at the moment, I've always wanted a blue bass with gold hardware :)

Love my L2.5K! I bought a used '97 on Talkbass about a year ago, and it's become the most used instrument in my collection. It sounds great for everything I do - rock, country, blues, jazz, funk, salsa... I have to force myself to play my other basses now. But has anyone spent any time with the newer M 2500? I just got one in to demo recently (it's coming up soon), and I really love this one too! It's similar enough to the L series that you can clearly identify the sound as G&L, but it's a more polite, more refined version of the tone. It's a little more "normal" with its 3-band boost/cut system, and mine weighs only 8.5lbs... which for a G&L 5-string is almost unheard of. Pretty too...

Edited by thebasswhisperer

Cheers guys, I still can't get over how good it is. I thought I was perfectly happy with my Warwick, gigged this one last night and only fell off a couple of times, mainly just getting used to a new instrument. It sounds so much better though. Much richer, much fatter and a lot more versatile too! I've also had a fair few comments about how good it looks!

I reckon it'd look even better with gold hardware, but I imagine finding that for this bass is going to be near impossible :(

I don't particularly mind the slightly understated appearance, I've struck really lucky with the appearance of this one, but it fits in well enough that I don't have to worry about it looking a bit too flash or a bit too fancy :)

That top look superb though!

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1385913995' post='2293531']
The only real problem I find with G&L in general is the reserved and understated appearance. Which is why I bought this one..

[/quote]

Yeah, the L1500 for instance really suffers aesthetically for not having a pickguard. Somone put up a thread a while back who'd put a tele style pickguard on an ASAT and it looked fantastic.

I've only owned one of the tributes (L2500 in the exact same neck/colour combo), but looking back at it, it was absolutely awesome for the price. It was so versatile and sounded amazing but I just didn't get on with the neck and string spacing unfortunately, but my experience with G&L has put an SB2 at the top of the 'Precisions-I-want list'... :)

I have a 92 US L2000.

She's beautiful. She's my first and probably last proper bass. Got it from a guy round the corner from me about 3 years ago
my only problem with it is I'm not too sure the treble eq knob is having much effect on the tone whereas the bass is heavy, heavy, heavy :D

here's a pic

I'd probably want to try another Tribute, my only experience was a bad one which didn't help. If it's good I'd consider running one for a backup as I'm not really getting on with my Jazz too much!

This L2.5k is still impressing, I've not heard a bad word about it yet from those who've heard it. I'm just after a suitable gig bag for it though as in my leather bag, it's VERY heavy!

Bassdirect probably have the best stock in the U.K, Gareth. - they probably have the only stock of new USA models in the UK , in fact - but even then, don't expect to be overwhelmed with choice. They have never had mass-appeal or major mainstream marketing in the U.K, but they are excellent basses nevertheless. G&L have always been a slightly periphoral brand, even in America, but they are really excellent quality basses designed for use in the real world. [u]Very [/u]powerful sound.

Have you seen the new Tom Hamilton signature model? It's Telecaster -shaped, made out of Sugar Pine to be extremely lightweight and comes in a selection of very bling finishes. Might appeal to you , Gareth.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1386186924' post='2296964']
Bassdirect probably have the best stock in the U.K, Gareth. - they probably have the only stock of new USA models in the UK , in fact - but even then, don't expect to be overwhelmed with choice. They have never had mass-appeal or major mainstream marketing in the U.K, but they are excellent basses nevertheless. G&L have always been a slightly periphoral brand, even in America, but they are really excellent quality basses designed for use in the real world. [u]Very [/u]powerful sound.

Have you seen the new Tom Hamilton signature model? It's Telecaster -shaped, made out of Sugar Pine to be extremely lightweight and comes in a selection of very bling finishes. Might appeal to you , Gareth.
[/quote]

Sounds good to me!