Why become a member? ×

Hello Basschat...is this mic on?!?!?!?

DaytonaRik

Hi all,

Just joined and thought I'd best follow protocol and say "hi"

A bit about me - long time guitarist, short time bassist! I've played guitar in rock bands for 20 odd years but found myself as a pure vocalist in a band a few years ago. That was until the bass player quit so I decided to step into the breach and took on four-string duties

I admit to having an absolute ball and thought it might be a lot of fun to contine as a bass player and three years later I find myself playing in a Thin Lizzy/Gary Moore cover (not tribute) band. I guess that suits my pick style of playing quite nicely but I'm slowly teaching myself to move over to finger-style for the odd track and for self-improvement.

I guess as a guitarist I've no real bass-playing heroes but Neil Murray has always stood out as a cracking player, along with Steve Harris, Billy Sheehan. The rock crowd I guess! Also rate Chris Childs (Thunder and The Union) as a very good player.

Gear-wise I picked up an 80's Bass Collection EB310 to start with and recently a Schecter Omen Extreme and run through an Ashdown ABM500 1x15 combo with an ABM 2x10 extension cab. I've always had a thing for Thunderbirds (I used to use a Firebird) so no doubt one of those will wing it's way into the collection in due course.

Anyway - enough waffle from me - I look forward to browsing through the forums and exchanging views/comments with you all in due course.

Rik

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1385643859' post='2290579']
Also rate Chris Childs (Thunder and The Union) as a very good player.
[/quote]At last someone else who knows Chris; a top player and thoroughly nice bloke, a big influence on me for sure. I used to see him loads with pub circuit stalwarts Bad Influence until other commitments meant he had to leave. Chris Childs and Harry James are one of my all time favourite rhythm sections, good singers too.

Oh yeah....welcome :)

I've known Rik "in the real world" for ages (and coincidentally through sports photography, not music), so it's nice to see him on here.

One word of warning, though. He's still got a number of those weird little shortscale 6 string things in his possession. Once a guitard, always a guitard :lol:

Welcome mate - look forward seeing you spending a fortune on the sales forums, like the rest of us!

Edited by tredders

Welcome Rik. Enjoy the banter here :)

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1386362971' post='2299422']
look forward seeing you spending a fortune on the sales forums, like the rest of us!
[/quote]
Ah, so it's not just me spending too much here. I'm not alone, lol!