Why become a member? ×

Negative Feedback from our Demo

Thurbs

Hi guys.

I am in a 4 piece covers band and we put together some demos to try and get us some gigs.

We have handed them out a few times and last night a big fan of ours told us our demo was rubbish and we are much better live.

Being the one whom recorded, mixed and produced the tracks (my first time doing so I hasen to add!!) I am probably too close to hear what the issue may be?

https://soundcloud.com/richard-thurbin/sets/bad-faith-demo

Any thoughts on how I can improve them?

It's good but - 1st track, Sultans of Swing, it's such a long 'same old same old song' I wouldn't put it up as your opener for a demo, I can see critics loosing interest before the 6 minutes is up.

The only thing I'd personally critisise overall is the vocals - which I can appreciate may well come across better live but recorded seem a bit lacking, lazy perhaps, could be brighter, seem a bit weak/tame.

Constructive criticism of your avtar - when you hover over your name the avtar on Soundcloud it's shown less than full size & appears as a faceless bloke doing a pelvic thrust to the viewer, in fact the perspective of the picture used gives me the impression of a 'lot of crutch in jogging bottoms' - nothing personal but it's not helping your image IMHO.

HTH

John

Not wishing to offend any of the vocalists, but I think Bankai's right: the vocals don't sit quite right in the mix. I don't know how musically adept your big fan is, but normally if people don't like the sound of the vocals, they won't appreciate the rest of it. Which is a shame, because the instrumentation sounds pretty good throughout!

It's going to sound like a strange thing to say, but your lead singer sounds a bit self-conscious on these recordings. I wonder if the problem is that he feels less reserved on stage, and therefore sounds a bit more convincing. (I can sympathise: it is a bit strange standing in front of a mic with just your bandmates nearby and going for it the same way you would when on stage!)

There's a few issues on Sultans....but please be aware that I'm only saying this because you've asked! I wouldn't have been particularly bothered at all I've heard an awful lot worse!

1). The rhythm guitar is out of tune - actually I think it's an intonation thing and the strumming pattern is VERY lacking in dynamics - sounds like it was recorded late at night and the guitarist didn't want to disturb anyone

2). Drums have no presence

3). It's slow

4). The vocals have no dynamics - it's spoken (I know that's how Knopfler does it, but it feels very dry...) and are too prominent - feels like an overlay on a backing track

5). The BV's are out of tune at a couple of points.

6). Bass is there in the mix but there's not much cut or dynamics, it could have done with a bit of attack to give it more definition.

BUT the above is super critical and frankly the overall standard is pretty good.

Cheers,
James

Edited by Moos3h

SoS: Vocals are out of time in places. It's a talky vocal, but you still have to really hit the beats while maintaining the relaxed feel. The guitar seems a bit ahead of the beat too in places.... both of which make it feel a bit nervous. Agree about the backing vocals being out of tune too. I also agree that it's far from terrible!

Edited by topo morto

I got about half way through sultans, this happens to be a song that I adore when it comes on the radio.

My criticism kind of echos most of the above; it's not so much the flaws in the recording or mixing, I've heard far worse, it's the lack of energy and drive to the tune.

I'd say to record the instruments live, maybe at a gig, then record the vocals in a controlled environment. That way you should end up with good clear vocals over music that has the energy that makes you a good live band.

I don't know how honest I can be without people saying I'm being negative like the last time it happened.

Because what I would say would not be subjective or forgiving, it would be in comparison with extremely high presentation standards like ebs_freaks's band, or indeed GunsFreddy. I have no idea what you want to achieve with your band, perhaps that would give us some context to work with.

I could just say nothing.

Edited by xilddx

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. It is clear there is a common theme going through so I will put it to the guys and hope they don't get too defensive!

We all share singing in the band (SoS is not one of mine) and none of us are great singers so it is an area we need to all work on.

As for a live recording, we are going to try and set it up for our next gig and see what happens.

Thanks again.