Why become a member? ×

Painful Joints

Pete Academy

I know this sub ject has been discussed before. I have been suffering from painful finger joints in both hands for some time. I take a high dose of glucosamine every day. Just lately I can barely close my fingers in the morning (no masturbation jokes, please). It eases as the day goes on. I did a gig last night and today the joints are quite painful. I've starting taking other supplements and fish oil.

Any advice would be welcome.

• Like 1

First question, Pete. Seen a doc? If its some form of arthritis then you need to be doing more than taking glucosamine. Possibly anti-inflammatories (eg Voltarol, Nurofen) and maybe something stronger depending on how serious the issue is. Go see a doc, mate

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1385305933' post='2286624']
First question, Pete. Seen a doc? If its some form of arthritis then you need to be doing more than taking glucosamine. Possibly anti-inflammatories (eg Voltarol, Nurofen) and maybe something stronger depending on how serious the issue is. Go see a doc, mate
[/quote]

A big +1 on this point.

If the pain and discomfort is so bad that it is affecting your quality of life then get to the doctors and get some proper help . There are all kinds of things that could be causing the problem , and a number of things that can be done to help make it better , but it's a job for the experts. You won't be able to put it right yourself.

I'm suffering a bit today Pete. A couple of hours back, when I was out in the cold my fingers/knuckles were giving me grief. Ok now that I'm warm again and have had a couple of Ibuprufen.
Will give it another ten minutes or so and then have a bass session :)

wish you well mate.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1385311847' post='2286726']
Stop eating grain and processed vegetable fats.
[/quote]

You know I used to, not necessarily think these things were a waste of time, but I was certainly sceptical about them.

I've been vegetarian for years.

I stopped eating all processed foods about 3 months ago, I only eat wholemeal grains and rice, pasta etc. I buy ingredients (cheaper anyway), and cook my own stuff.

I feel healthier than I have for ages.

By the way, Mrs C has occasional bouts of arthritis and has kept it at bay (she believes, and who am I to argue) by taking something called Honeygar, a mixture of honey and cider vinegar that Sir Ranulph Fiennes swears by http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1053045/Sir-Ranulph-Fiennes-I-beat-arthritis-vinegar-cure-passed-mother.html, and a rosehip syrup/Vitamin C extract called Litozin

LInks here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Comvita-Manuka-Vinegar-formerly-Honeygar/dp/B002DFWFBC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385312882&sr=8-1&keywords=honeygar

and here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Litozin-Health-Capsules-Natural-Vitamin/dp/B0013G3EOE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1385312958&sr=8-3&keywords=litozin+joint+health

She was supposed to have been in line for possible knee replacement 7 years ago but is more active and mobile today than she was back then. She attributes this to the aforementioned and exercise

Interesting, I was going to post a question about this tonight myself..

Im not in the same league as you folks...but I do practice for about 1.5 hours every night...I love it.

But since I have been practicing I have notice two things...my little finger on my left hand always feels 'bruised' and a little stiff but worse, I have a mild pain down the outside of my wrist (on the other side to my thumb) which radiates about 5-6 inches down my arm...

It might not be linked to my practicing...I suffer with very mild occasional arthritis anyway..but I was wondering if anyone else has had this?..I have an habit of playing with the guitar on my lap and resting my thumb on the pickup..which forces me to curve my hand a little..is this a form of repetitive strain injury...

Additional information..I have been married twenty three years...but I dont think the strain on my wrist is down to anything else...get my drift!!! :)

[quote name='Zampa' timestamp='1385327732' post='2287030']
Interesting, I was going to post a question about this tonight myself..

Im not in the same league as you folks...but I do practice for about 1.5 hours every night...I love it.

But since I have been practicing I have notice two things...my little finger on my left hand always feels 'bruised' and a little stiff but worse, I have a mild pain down the outside of my wrist (on the other side to my thumb) which radiates about 5-6 inches down my arm...

It might not be linked to my practicing...I suffer with very mild occasional arthritis anyway..but I was wondering if anyone else has had this?..I have an habit of playing with the guitar on my lap and resting my thumb on the pickup..which forces me to curve my hand a little..is this a form of repetitive strain injury...

Additional information..I have been married twenty three years...but I dont think the strain on my wrist is down to anything else...get my drift!!! :)
[/quote]

I am a great believer in warming up (and down afterwards) with gentle stretches even before I touch the bass. Resting the thumb on the pick up forces the wrist into a severe angle, which over time can lead to problems. Sometimes people think that because they dont feel pain [i]now,[/i] that all is OK. It can take years of playing in a certain way for the pain to show itself. It is not called [i]repetitive [/i]strain injury for nothing. ;)

As for the pain in the left (fretting..I presume) hand. Hard to say what could be causing this, but gripping the neck too tight could be a factor.

Your overall stance plays a big part in safe comfortable playing. If you practice sitting down, use a strap and try to have the main body of the bass at about belt buckle height, i.e. the same as if you were standing.

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1385328762' post='2287055']
I am a great believer in warming up (and down afterwards) with gentle stretches even before I touch the bass. Resting the thumb on the pick up forces the wrist into a severe angle, which over time can lead to problems. Sometimes people think that because they dont feel pain [i]now,[/i] that all is OK. It can take years of playing in a certain way for the pain to show itself. It is not called [i]repetitive [/i]strain injury for nothing. ;)

As for the pain in the left (fretting..I presume) hand. Hard to say what could be causing this, but gripping the neck too tight could be a factor.

Your overall stance plays a big part in safe comfortable playing. If you practice sitting down, use a strap and try to have the main body of the bass at about belt buckle height, i.e. the same as if you were standing.
[/quote]

Cheers for that...Ill certianly try that, I forgot to mention that my hands are 53 years old decorators hands also :(

Please go see your Doctor, don't take or act on any advice from anybody until you know what you are dealing with. I really hope you get sorted quickly, and are well very soon.
P.s nearly forgot don't take meds, nothing more that over the counter pain killers until you get checked out by your Doc.

Be well
Ta very glad
Dale

[quote name='Zampa' timestamp='1385409298' post='2287977']
I forgot to mention that my hands are 53 years old decorators hands also :(
[/quote]

Yes, that's an important factor. Sometimes the pain we feel may not be bass related, but playing seems to aggravate a given problem.

As above, see medics. When you do, insist on tests etc, do not be fobbed off if it gets worse. I have other half who now has a'destroyed' knee joint beyond replacement because medics just kept prescribing pain killers rather than listen to her. The pity is her first knee replacement aged 45 has been brilliant, now we are just looking at very bleak situation - still I guess the NHS has saved money. Aged 55 I feel it is not a health service at the moment, feel rather let down.

Good advice here..interesting reading cheers

One thing I would say...dont,not never never never never dont...self diagnose after 'symptom surfing' internet 'health sites'...you will end up wanting to sling yourself off a bridge after convincing yourself an imminent arthritis joint related death awaits you around the corner!!.

Docs know best..

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1385505923' post='2289208']
No they don't. They just know what to try first based on probabilities and are only as good as their research and knowledge of the patient. No one knows me like I do.
[/quote]

In fairness, I think what Zampa meant was that while no one may know you like you know yourself, only a trained professional knows the best treatment or therapy for a given problem, based on the information given to him/her.

I always think it prudent to direct people who are looking for medical advice on a forum like this, to the appropriate professionals.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1385505923' post='2289208']
No they don't. They just know what to try first based on probabilities and are only as good as their research and knowledge of the patient. No one knows me like I do.
[/quote]

You're right in some ways. The doc's knowledge is of people in general, of patterns of disease, what people usually complain of and manifest when they have certain well-defined (or sometimes not well-defined) conditions. Their job is to enquire of the patient in a systematic matter to understand better what they are complaining of, and then to examine appropriately to rule in or out potential diagnoses. And then to arrive at options for treatment, from which the patient and the doc can agree on a suitable and hopefully mutually acceptable course of treatment. That's the current patient-centred model of a GP consultation which is taught. Sure, there are flaws in that, docs are only human and make mistakes. Let me suggest an illustration though.
I know my car fairly well - all the marks on the paintwork, why some of them are there; its foibles, how it responds when cornering in the wet, why there's a little bit of horse manure in the boot - that's a fairly intimate knowledge, I would say. But I'm not going to attempt to diagnose a major problem, or even an annoying but hard to find problem, because I don't have the time, experience or skills to do it. I could look up on the net, and spend time trying, in theory, to troubleshoot based on other non-experts', or potential experts' wide-ranging opinions, and then look on youtube about how to fix it. That may work; on the other hand, I might make a huge mess. I do not consider myself competent to do these things. Maybe you're different, and can do everything well, in which case I envy you. Generally speaking, though, rather than spend hours digging info out of the hive mind and applying it to a problem, I would prefer to spend 10mins speaking to a professional, and come away with a more reliable solution.
I would be inclined to trust someone who has seen an illness 10's or 100's of times before, and has followed each case through to resolution or stability or whatever the conclusion might be. But I know not everyone likes to seek help - there's a certain male pride in being able to fix everything without asking for outside help. Until you flood the basement, or whatever.
To the OP - it's a common presentation, finger pain. There are a few well-defined causes, and various appropriate treatments, which often work well. Go see someone who sees people with hand and finger pain every single week day - a GP.

I think every part of what you wrote is fine in theory I think it breaks down in real life for all sorts of reasons. I'm not good at everything but I care a lot more about the outcome than anyone else. I also know that I am very fotunate to have a massive capacity for learning which does make it all the easier for me to help myself.

I've been badly let down by the medical profession on many occasions. The last one was going to the doctor about finger pain and being told it was wear and tear.

Other groups that have let me down plumbers, electricians, mechanics, gardners etc.

Most knowledge is available to us nowadays and the truly skilled labour needed rare. Things I need others for. Surgery, playing instruments other than the ones I've practiced sufficiently, heavy lifting, things that require sign off (I get a spark to sign a piuece of paper saying my work is OK) etc.