Why become a member? ×

Is there any reason I SHOULDN'T run these 2 cabs together?

Wooks79

As the title says, Is there any reason I SHOULDN'T run these 2 cabs together?

Both 8 ohms, wanna run them from my Matamp GT200 -

Matamp 6x10 2400watts
Orange 1x15 400watts

So I know people always all about mismatched speakers and stuff, but is it really a problem? You see it a lot!

Is the massive difference in watts of the cabs gonna cause any problems?

Cheers all :)

if they're both 8Ω then there's less chance of a mismatch.
Two 8Ω cabs in parallel will give you a 4Ω load and in series will give you 16Ω.
The danger comes when you present a load (ohms) that is too small for an amp, some valve amps will tolerate a 2Ω load, but most amps state 4Ω minimum.

The minimum impedance (ohmage) should be on the back of the amp near the speaker connectors.

So long as you don't give it more than about 300W then you should be fine :) .

Nice looking rig, by the way.

Edited by paul_5

The other danger is that the 1x15" is likely to handle less power (excursion limited) than the 6x10", but is also likely to be less efficient. So if you reach levels of power that could fart out and damage the 1x15", you may not notice as it will be drowned out by the louder 6x10". If you try it, put the 1x15" on top so you can hear it if it protests! Though with a 200 watt amp, you may be OK.

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1384942773' post='2282494']
....So I know people always all about mismatched speakers and stuff, but is it really a problem?....
[/quote]

You won't damage anything, so, I would put them together and then you can tell us.

Just put the cab that you want to hear the most on top. Get a long lead and walk around the room.

The "don't mix" mantra is overstated. A band mix and the rooms we play in pose far more sonic challenges than what the "rules" say about mixing speakers. In previous decades adding a 15" did beef up the sound, but these days speakers and cabs are night and day better than back then, so I'd say most people won't get more bass out of a 15" than they will out of a modern, well designed cab full of 10's or 12's.

But your ears are all that matters.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1384944817' post='2282519']
Surely the 6x10 should move enough air on its own?
[/quote]

Well... Yeah, but they look cool together ;)

So I'm not entirely up on this series and parallel stuff.

If I take a speakon from the 4 ohms output on the amp, to an input on one cab, then a speakon from that cab to the next, is that ok?

I should prob read up on that stuff, but haven't often used 2 cabs with any rigs I've had before.

Cheers!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1384945999' post='2282537']
[b]You won't damage anything[/b], so, I would put them together and then you can tell us.

Just put the cab that you want to hear the most on top. Get a long lead and walk around the room.

The "don't mix" mantra is overstated. A band mix and the rooms we play in pose far more sonic challenges than what the "rules" say about mixing speakers. In previous decades adding a 15" did beef up the sound, but these days speakers and cabs are night and day better than back then, so I'd say most people won't get more bass out of a 15" than they will out of a modern, well designed cab full of 10's or 12's.

But your ears are all that matters.
[/quote]
I wouldn't guarantee that nothing could get damaged. A low powered amp is still capable of damaging higher rated drivers & I bet that amp could destroy the 1x15 given a chance.

But I agree that the best thing to do is try it out & use your ears. Seems strange that a 6x10 is 8 ohms though.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1384948707' post='2282600']
Seems strange that a 6x10 is 8 ohms though.
[/quote]

I thought that when I got it from Matamp, good for stuff like this though, or in an ideal world, two of their 6x10's for total overkill :)

Edited by Wooks79

I'd be thinking, nice idea and all that, but overkill and wont give you anything worth humping the extra cab around for...

I think a 610 is pretty much all you'll ever need... and when visuals come into it... you'll need that dulplicate 610

But sure, as an exercise, you can run them together with the amp you've got, but the 15 will struggle sooner ..
than the 610..obviously.. and you could find the 15 totally redundant