Why become a member? ×

does everone really want lighter gear?

ben_eat_pie

I've gone back heavyish. A single cab that is the same height and depth, but slightly wider than the two 1x12s, but heavier and an amp head that weighs as much as my original 6U rack system. Overall the new set-up is physically only slightly bigger but the tone is huge.

My flat starts on the first floor, so I would like lighter cabs. Taking a 410 up and down stairs on a regular basis (especially when I have to do it alone) gets old very quickly.

If I can carry something, say, 25 yards on my own and get it in and out of the car easily, then I'd call it portable. For me, anything over about 60lbs isn't portable enough, especially if it's in a large, deep cabinet.

[quote name='BassBod' post='226241' date='Jun 24 2008, 09:41 PM']I've also noticed over the last ten years that city centre gigging just keeps getting more difficult - more parking restrictions, less spaces near venues, more jobsworth security at venues (and festivals)...anything that eases the loading in and out makes a difference.[/quote]

Indeed - I do quite a bit of gigging in the city centre, where I also live, and being able to walk or take the underground or train to gigs helps avoid the above hassles. A light setup is obviously a requirement for this, so the bass or double bass goes on my back, and the amp on a trolley. Recently I've employed this amp quite a bit:

It's a 10" active speaker from Thomann, weighs 10.5 kilos, cost me £110. It is wedge shaped so is easily deployed as a monitor. A wee acoustic preamp I bought for about £20 brings the instrument to the level required for the amplifer input and allows tweaking of EQ and volume. It sounds far, far better than you might think. In fact, it sounds so good it is a bit disturbing... makes you wonder what all the weight/bulk in regular bass amps is for.

Jennifer

I have no choice but to go light. I'd love a Berg 6x10 and a valve head but I'd be in a wheelchair by Christmas. We rehearse upstairs and my den - where I keep all my gear is upstairs - even my Bergie 1x12s were too heavy and had to go.

If I do a double gig weekend, I can't stand straight on Monday. I have shoulder problems and may have to look for a silly light bass (like a Sadowsky :brow: ) when I get back off holiday.

You young'uns may laugh but have the ointment ready cos it's comin' to you soon.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='226406' date='Jun 25 2008, 08:07 AM']You young'uns may laugh but have the ointment ready cos it's comin' to you soon.[/quote]

I hear ya! I have a recurring lumber problem that can leave me alone for months then floor me if I look at a big cab.
For my main gig I have a 1U flightcase with a pre amp that goes into the PA. Other gigs I have a little polytone.
As I put in an earlier thread I may have to get a rig for a tour in the autumn. I will be going light, even if there are roadies.

I'm on Bilbo's wavelength:

My 1x15 combo is about 30kg, my 4x8 is about 42kg now it's got new (heavier!!) speakers and wheels. It's a bugger to lift into the car, but that's the only time I lift it other than to put it on its extension cab and as soon as it's on and making noise I forget about the weight. The extension cabs are both somewherre around the 20-25kg mark I think.

I absolutely adore the sounds my current rigs make and couldn't part with them just to find something lighter. Ask me a gain in 10yrs and my attitude may have changed of course :)

[quote name='Merton' post='226427' date='Jun 25 2008, 08:34 AM']I absolutely adore the sounds my current rigs make and couldn't part with them just to find something lighter. Ask me a gain in 10yrs and my attitude may have changed of course :)[/quote]

Would you consider lighter if you had to replace your cabs though?

Im all for having tone over anything else but i dont see why a light cab cant sound great (and of course they do).

I do understand that some people have cabs that they have used for years and i totally understand them not wanting to change but when it comes to having to then do they look for a lighter version?

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='226443' date='Jun 25 2008, 08:57 AM']Would you consider lighter if you had to replace your cabs though?

Im all for having tone over anything else but i dont see why a light cab cant sound great (and of course they do).

I do understand that some people have cabs that they have used for years and i totally understand them not wanting to change but when it comes to having to then do they look for a lighter version?[/quote]
Yeas, if I had to replace anything (cab/combo) I'd absolutely go lighter, I just don't need to yet! And with all the GAS I've had and amp swapping over th elast couple of years I feel that the next change should be out of necessity rather than GAS for a Markbass F1 or GB Shuttle 6 or the fabled Eden WTX-500....... :)

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='226171' date='Jun 24 2008, 07:59 PM']I bought Finbars Valve head, and im already regretting the weight. BUT ive never heard of anything like it![/quote]

I’ve had an Ampeg all valve rig for just over 2 months and it sounds so gawdamn good, but it almost weighs more than I do. I’m so tempted to go down the lightweight route after almost breaking my back every time I have a gig or take it to the studio. The only reason I wouldn’t do it is because (a) I wouldn’t want to lose money on my rig, and (b ) I’ve not heard enough of the lightweight stuff to judge whether it sounds as good as my Ampeg rig.

[quote name='RIM Basses' post='226270' date='Jun 24 2008, 10:20 PM']I got mt SVT-Cl today and man its heavy, got to replace the preamp valves and get a service done. cant wait to hear the sound thru a Dr Bass cab.[/quote]

That’s what I’ve got :) I run it through the SVT410-HLF cab and it’s pure ear sex! There’s no other way of describing the sound of a good Warwick being played through that rig, it’s just complete unadulterated and uncompromising ear sex!!
BUT…when I put it in the flightcase I can’t carry it further than about 10 meters by myself :blush:

Edited by benwhiteuk

I went lightweight simply because I got thoroughly sick of lugging a 1x15 cab down 4 flights of stairs and then doing two more trips to load up the car with basses/amp/cable bag. Then there'd be another 2/3 trips at the gig or rehearsal room. Then I'd have to do the whole thing all over again in reverse at the end of the night - it nearly put me off playing for good!

My main reasoning, apart from the stairs/trips issue, was that as most of my gigs are small clubs/pubs with a PA, I really didn't need an enormous rig. I now use a Markbass amp and BFM cabs and I can carry bass, amp, cable bag and cab all at once. Sweet. Admittedly, I think I prefer the sound of my Hartke head to the Markbass....but not enough to warrant the extra weight!

If I was playing the Enormodome on a regular basis and had a team of hulking roadies then my cabs would make Stonehenge feel a bit pathetic and my amp would have more valves than a plumbing wharehouse but I don't, so they aren't.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='226406' date='Jun 25 2008, 08:07 AM']I have no choice but to go light. I'd love a Berg 6x10 and a valve head but I'd be in a wheelchair by Christmas. We rehearse upstairs and my den - where I keep all my gear is upstairs - even my Bergie 1x12s were too heavy and had to go.

If I do a double gig weekend, I can't stand straight on Monday. I have shoulder problems and may have to look for a silly light bass (like a Sadowsky :brow: ) when I get back off holiday.

You young'uns may laugh but have the ointment ready cos it's comin' to you soon.[/quote]
If you like Fenders you might like an Aerodyne
[attachment=10030:aero_2.jpg]

I'm getting shot of my current rig for a Markbass head and a Zoot 2x12 cab.
I have suffered with back pain for 10 years now and I'm fed up with dreading doing a gig because of the weight of my 4x10 makes me wince.
Light rigs for me please.

Does everyone have to carry their own gear in the bands that people are in?

In my band, we all help each other carry each others stuff.

If a guitarist uses a 4x12, then they are nearly always heavier than bass players 4x10's.

Our drummers hardware box weighs a ton but it's a two man lift and we take our time and we lift properly.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='226918' date='Jun 25 2008, 08:49 PM']Does everyone have to carry their own gear in the bands that people are in?

If a guitarist uses a 4x12, then they are nearly always heavier than bass players 4x10's.

Our drummers hardware box weighs a ton but it's a two man lift and we take our time and we lift properly.[/quote]

I'm like you. As i can get my stuff in in one go i end up carrying a lot more.

Makes me laugh that over on TB most people with light rigs say they only have to do one journey from the car to the stage. Seems like they don't help out as much as us over here. Or maybe they are just in a bigger league than me.

Me ABM 2x10 combo & it's mate the 2x10 cab sound just chipper, but are at the limit of knackered back solo portability. If I gigged more and could justify it, I'd be waiting for a Shuttle 6 and a couple of Neo 12's like everyone else. Unless I had a roadie to do it all for me of course....

I have to say that Im not really after light weight or heavey, light weight is nice but I've gone from my littlemark to the DHA amp simply for tone. Ortho the Littlemark was a hell of alot more practical in regards to turning up in taxi's etc.

I don't think theres a heavey 2x10 or 1x15 that I've heard that comes close to the light weight options in terms of tone, my omni's sound huge and great, and the markbass cabs and berg and accu cabs are all great too.
The light weight hybrid heads are damn close to the big heavey duty amps no matter what people say especialy in a live situation. Plus theres half way alternatives that sound better than the vintage stuff and lighter weight.

I think most people if they can afford to will chase tone and sometimes might get blinded by repuatation and vintage label. But most get whats practical for their situation which in todays terms for small or big bands traveling alot is lighter weight gear plus every now and then you get the tone your after too.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='226918' date='Jun 25 2008, 08:49 PM']Does everyone have to carry their own gear in the bands that people are in?

Our drummers hardware box weighs a ton but it's a two man lift and we take our time and we lift properly.[/quote]
I always help with others equipment,plus we have a roady/soundman.
But I still want a lighter rig(so does the roady).

I must confess this is a topic i've thought of raising myself especially when people have changed their setups.

Then within a short space of time, they put another post up saying they can't seem to find a sound that they're
after or what they previously had.

(disclaimer: this isn't aimed at any individual by the way ).

I've had my amp & cab setup now for nigh on 10 years now the only thing i've really changed is that
i've taken out a 1 x 15 cab to replacing it with a 2x10 for tonal reasons, rather than weight.

I know my sound inside out & i wouldn't compromise any of that just to save a few xtra pounds / kilos in weight,
not mention the xtra £'s spent to get something lighter to find that you have to start the same process of trying to get near the sound you had with the heavier gear.

I can fully understand the weight for health reasons, but for some convienience :) reasons i'm not so sure.

There's always 2 sides to an arguement but thats my 2 pence worth.

Ps: Then on the other hand i may be lucky cos when i brought my Swr's at the time, i guess they were considered
lightweight & compact, but now weighing at 55lbs each they're considered heavy !!!

To think that in the sixties I was running an 18" in a cab the size of a wardrobe - and that was for an URB (although it doubled with a Jazz). However, technology has caught up and EA now do a perfectly acceptable 10" which, in certain circumstances, is superior to a 12" for urb.

I think that very soon the price of diesel may be the deciding factor. I still like to get myself to a gig so I can put everything except the kitchen sink aboard, including different speaker options if I haven't played the venue before. But we did the Abersoch Jazz Festival last weekend (five hours each way) and four of us went down in a Grand Voyager with drums, PA, saxes, trumpet, double bass and overnight luggage. There was no way I could take anything bigger than a GK combo. Not my ideal amp but compromises have to be made if we still want to make a few bob out of the gig.