Why become a member? ×

Wishbass does it again

squire5

There's a nice pre-finished one on EBay at the moment that you might get sub £150
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beautiful-Wood-Bass-Guitar-/231092563225?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item35ce30ad19"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beautiful-Wood-Bass-Guitar-/231092563225?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item35ce30ad19[/url]

I used to own a singlecut Peanut 6er and I wish I still had it actually. I bought it off someone that had modified it slightly with a new electronics cavity cover (he made it flush with the surface of the wood and out of wood), varnished the fretboard and painted it sunburst; looked gorgeous and sounded just fine.

Truckstop

[quote name='Ashborygirl' timestamp='1384289362' post='2274975']
Utter, utter crap instruments with no redeeming features other than proving that some people will buy polished sh*t to be a bit different.
[/quote]

There are those on here who have been similarly dismissive of Ashbories.

Billy Apple...you know what you're talking about.....all these others I'm guessing have never played one...I've had mine for years and I love it. I guess if its not a fender jazz in CAR it must be crap.
I own 3 fretlesses including a le fay...and I have no problem playing and enjoying my wishbass too...they are brilliant IMHO.

The more I look at the one in the OP, the more it intrigues me. It looks pretty cool, though normally I'd be wary of buying a bass with only piezo pickups and no tone control.

But on the other hand, the website suggests that most of their output is one-of-a-kind, entirely custom instruments. If the dreaded GAS ever strikes again I might consider asking Mr Wishnevski whether he could do a fretted, 4-string version, maybe with a nice big mudbucker set into that long fingerboard. Given the prices, it seems like it could be a good deal, given what people often pay for a custom build.

[quote name='alembic1989' timestamp='1384462194' post='2277123']
Billy Apple...you know what you're talking about.....all these others I'm guessing have never played one...I've had mine for years and I love it.
[/quote]

I'd like to have a play on one. ISTM that those who own them (or at least confess to owning them) are almost all enthusiastic about them.

I think that it's a little unwise to dismiss something as being rubbish or badly made, until you've actually held it in your hands and played it :D.

Personally I like art, I also like music and musical instruments, and when you have an instrument that looks like a piece of art, then I think that's brilliant.

I particularly like the organic looks of the basses.

• 4 weeks later...

Whatever you say about Wishbasses, at least the wood looks nice/interesting.

Unless it's covered up by clumsily hand-painted black paint that is.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wishbass-Custom-Handbuilt-fretless-bass-guitar-/261351561141?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1120"]http://www.ebay.co.u...ME:B:SS:GB:1120[/url]

Edited by Annoying Twit

Recently acquired a wishbass and I'm quite impressed with it. Luckily mine hasn't been painted, more like someone's thrown some varnish in its general direction ie a lot not covered, some dust and stuff stuck to it and others areas full of runs.

It feels good on a strap or just balanced sat down.
The neck, hmmmm I haven't played this a lot but I'd say I'm almost used to it already. It's very deep from fingerboard to thumb position but not overly wide. The corian nut and bridge is certainly different from the norm!! The neck feels stiffer than most of the other basses I own with less flex despite not having a rod fitted. Time will tell.

It certainly needs a tidy up but for what they cost I'd happily buy another one knowing I need to fettle with it a bit ( which is half the fun) over buying some soulless far eastern factory made lump.

Recently acquired a wishbass and I'm quite impressed with it. Luckily mine hasn't been painted, more like someone's thrown some varnish in its general direction ie a lot not covered, some dust and stuff stuck to it and others areas full of runs.

It feels good on a strap or just balanced sat down.
The neck, hmmmm I haven't played this a lot but I'd say I'm almost used to it already. It's very deep from fingerboard to thumb position but not overly wide. The corian nut and bridge is certainly different from the norm!! The neck feels stiffer than most of the other basses I own with less flex despite not having a rod fitted. Time will tell.

It certainly needs a tidy up but for what they cost I'd happily buy another one knowing I need to fettle with it a bit ( which is half the fun) over buying some soulless far eastern factory made lump.