Why become a member? ×

EBS HD350 vs lightweight class D heads

NJE

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1384253296' post='2274394']
It want that long ago that loads of bands had a Peavey 1x15 TNT combo of about 120 -150 Watts was it?
[/quote]

Exactly.

I've tried/tested owned many of the old regular solid state heavy amps, and I still own a full size tube amp.

The absolute worst amps, especially in terms of volume, were actually Ampeg. The cheap SVT clone they do, and the SVT Pro 3. Both extremely underpowered amongst other things.

Every micro I've owned has definitely had more ommphh and slam.

I must admit, my ex Trace 400SMX was a beast. Extremely loud, very clear, but what an awkward shape/weight!!!

Is this even a clear cut fight? A lot of the newer micro amps will have some kind of processing to make them sound louder, a certain Eq here, a bit of compression here, a low end roll off there, or even full on DSP to squeeze as much power out of it as you can (TC RH I'm looking at you!)

Not to say that that isn't a good thing in an amp but it does mean you're not comparing like for like. StingrayPete1977 mentioned his Shuttle 3.0 - which is a nice little amp - but the EBS will be putting out low end that the Shuttle is filtering out.... loudness alone is not a fair comparison

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1384297853' post='2275080']
Is this even a clear cut fight? A lot of the newer micro amps will have some kind of processing to make them sound louder, a certain Eq here, a bit of compression here, a low end roll off there, or even full on DSP to squeeze as much power out of it as you can (TC RH I'm looking at you!)

Not to say that that isn't a good thing in an amp but it does mean you're not comparing like for like. StingrayPete1977 mentioned his Shuttle 3.0 - which is a nice little amp - but the EBS will be putting out low end that the Shuttle is filtering out.... loudness alone is not a fair comparison
[/quote]
thing is I still filter out those frequencies when usin my 6.0 or even the 9.2max heads, I think the minimum they can put out is 37hz anything lower is the mush that people think they want when trying it at home or in the shop, if you really do need that live with volume forget most of the gear most of us have ;)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1384366670' post='2275800']
thing is I still filter out those frequencies when usin my 6.0 or even the 9.2max heads, I think the minimum they can put out is 37hz anything lower is the mush that people think they want when trying it at home or in the shop, if you really do need that live with volume forget most of the gear most of us have ;)
[/quote] you're right of course, but that gets into the practical using of these amps rather than the whole "which is louder" discussion.
Practically some amps are set up to filter freq and use the power wisely.... others run all sorts of multi band compression which sounds great in the shop but gets lost in the mix.....

i own a td660 and a fafner II. while i love the sound of the td660 i have to say that it is very much weaker than the fafner II, which to me plays in one league with a db750. just insane amount of power. if you really need power there is only one ebs amp.

the hd350/360 is a very decent amp, the design has no flaws, absolutly reliable, it has everything one needs and the tone is to die for. it has almost as much power as the td660 which is enough for most occasions - maybe not big open air stages. but there will be a monitoring system... perfect for recording and still relatively easy to move around.

in the eighties i dreamt about a trace elliot amp with 350 watts ... i tried a lot of class d amps and the only one that really convinced me is the blue soul.

go for the hd350/360, you wont regret it :)

Sandmann

I have owned a HD350, now own a TD650 and a Reidmar 250. I use the TD650 for situations whereby I need to power two cabs and I use the Reidmar for small gigs that only require a one cab setup or for studio use as a preamp.

First up, the HD350 is an awesome amp. The TD650 sounds exactly the same, but the tube channel does expand tone possibilities. In practice, the TD650 doesn't offer much more power. Does the extra wattage channel into the tube stage power? Never really looked into it. But, I have powered two cabs using the HD350 with more or less the same results.

The Reidmar is a great little D-class amp. I replaced my very trusty Mark Bass LMIII with that amp, initially to keep things consistent. At 250w power I wasn't expecting huge performance. But, EBS don't use a power limiter, so you get every 250 watts available. It really shocked me that you can use that little power for 1x 4ohm or 2x 8ohm cabs. That was very surprising when I first started using it.

So why don't I just use the Reidmar live? What's the point of having the TD650? The Reidmar sounds great, but the TD650 (and the HD350) sound a little bit richer. That's the only way I can describe it. Plus, the simple fact is that the Reidmar can only power one of my 4ohm cabs. Also, the Reidmar is missing the 'Cab Sim' control and phantom power. None of which I have ever used anyway, so big deal.

The Reidmar can produce a very satisfying tone...the EBS tone, but it's designed for portable, small set ups. It is limited compared to its higher powered bigger brothers. Tone wise, it's awesome. I would recommend them over most D-class amps on the market. But, the higher powered amps can offer more flexibility with backline power and the 'Drive' and 'Tube' controls that are absent on the Reidmar are very useful when needed. Those features do add a bit more flexibility if you need to cover a lot of different musical styles. Power aside, that's the most significant difference that I have noticed in my experience. If you don't use the 'Drive' control on your HD350 (no 'Tube' control on that model) then a Reidmar will sound exactly the same. I like using the Drive control as it does give a bit more grunt to the tone. There is a difference. Power wise, mine is limited because all my cabs are 4ohms. I am only able to use it with one cab. Ultimately, that why I bought it...for small gigs and travelling light. You won't rock Wembley Stadium with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've had a good play.

The GB Shuttle 9.2 is extremely transparent. Set flat, you get that pure instrument tone. When you play with the EQ, the core transparency remains, and the frequencies change in a very predictable and consistent way.

The EBS is also very clean, but definitely has more of a voice. When changing the EQ, you can get some more varied timbres. All of these are usable, but it may take a bit more fiddling to get what you're after.

They are both incredibly versatile, and can get ultra bright, if that's your thing. I found that with the EBS, you can just 'happen upon' a really sweet tone, whereas with the GB, you dial in what you need, and that's what you get.

Overall, I'm favouring the EBS at the moment, as it has a couple of tones which really nail what I'm after. I know it's a wooly term, but the lows have 'girth' whilst still retaining clarity. The GB has this too, but possibly slightly less so. I'm going to gig both before making any decisions.

Other observations -

What does the 'bright' knob on the EBS actually do? Nothing as far as I could hear!

The EBS is heavier and bulkier, but it's still easy to carry and store.

Volume wise, the Shuttle is definitely louder (not surprisingly) but now by as much as you might think.

The Shuttle is virtually silent at all volumes. The EBS has a noticeable buzz/hum when at higher volumes. I don't see this being an issue when playing though.

Oh, and the valve OD on the Shuttle may be lacking, but the drive simulation on the EBS bears as much resemblance to a valve sound as I do to Gok Wan.

Edited by Roland Rock

To understand what the Bright knob does you really need to run it with an EBS cab!!

Paired together they give you an amazing amount of top end and you cannot get that sound from any other cab and believe me I have tried!!

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1386265672' post='2298018']
Well, I've had a good play.

The GB Shuttle 9.2 is extremely transparent. Set flat, you get that pure instrument tone. When you play with the EQ, the core transparency remains, and the frequencies change in a very predictable and consistent way.

The EBS is also very clean, but definitely has more of a voice. When changing the EQ, you can get some more varied timbres. All of these are usable, but it may take a bit more fiddling to get what you're after.

They are both incredibly versatile, and can get ultra bright, if that's your thing. I found that with the EBS, you can just 'happen upon' a really sweet tone, whereas with the GB, you dial in what you need, and that's what you get.

Overall, I'm favouring the EBS at the moment, as it has a couple of tones which really nail what I'm after. I know it's a wooly term, but the lows have 'girth' whilst still retaining clarity. The GB has this too, but possibly slightly less so. I'm going to gig both before making any decisions.

Other observations -

What does the 'bright' knob on the EBS actually do? Nothing as far as I could hear!

The EBS is heavier and bulkier, but it's still easy to carry and store.

Volume wise, the Shuttle is definitely louder (not surprisingly) but now by as much as you might think.

The Shuttle is virtually silent at all volumes. The EBS has a noticeable buzz/hum when at higher volumes. I don't see this being an issue when playing though.

Oh, and the valve OD on the Shuttle may be lacking, but the drive simulation on the EBS bears as much resemblance to a valve sound as I do to Gok Wan.
[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1386285199' post='2298436']
To understand what the Bright knob does you really need to run it with an EBS cab!!

Paired together they give you an amazing amount of top end and you cannot get that sound from any other cab and believe me I have tried!!
[/quote]

That would explain it! I don't have any tweeters or horns in my cab.
I always dial out the high end. Come to think of it, I may have had the treble fully cut on the bass when I tried it :-D