Why become a member? ×

Amp and cab upgrade advice

Pinball

Hi, I know very little about bass amps etc. so a couple of years ago came on here for advice for low budget options and ended up with an Asdown 300 EVOii and 15" Ashown cab. I like this very much but as I have spent quite a bit of time upgrading my other gear I have been wondering if I could do better.

The big issues for me are:
1. Weight-I have dodgy shoulders so the separate Ashdown amp and cab option works for me. I would consider a combo if it was light
2. Sound-well I'm in a heavy band playing EMG loaded basses for much of the time so need tone, power and clarity
3. Price-well although I don't want to spend much but its not an urgent purchase so I could save up up if I think its worth it. I'm also happy to by 2nd hand and mix and match.

I haven't been able to try many amps out yet. I have tried and Ashdown Spyder? and Ampeg combo, Markbass combo and thats about it. The spyder and Markbass were hitting the spot.

Any advice of where to look next would be appreciated.

Edited by Pinball

I'm selling a [url="http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=compact"]Barefaced Compact[/url]. It is a 1x15 in a small (compact, in fact!) box that weighs next to nothing but is extremely loud (if you need that) and very transparent - so you get the sound of your amp or (if your amp is transparent too) the sound of your bass.

The only reason I am trying to sell it is that I just fancy something different! I don't think I'll get anything "better", just different. :)

The Compact is an awesome piece of kit but it's biggest plus point is when, at the end of the night, you pick it up to unload. The first time you pick one up you'll be wondering (like I did) if it actually has a speaker in at all!! :D

Edited by Conan

Give combo's a miss if you have lifting problems. IMO you should be aiming at less than 10lbs for an amp and less than 40lbs for a cab. 2 smaller cabs, 112's for example, clock in at about 30lbs each. Also, whatever gear you get , buy a good trolley.

IMO 500 watt Genz Benz, Markbass, Gallien Kreuger and Aguilar amps and 2 of their Neo 112 cabs would sound great.

Genz have some fantastic deals at the moment.

I'd also add a Barefaced cab at the top of the cab list. You might even be able to get away with just 1 Barefaced cab; they are that good.

ps..... just my opinion, but a GB Streamliner 900 into Conan's Compact will beat any combo you've heard, and the cab only weighs 26lbs.

Edited by chris_b

Markbass combos weigh virtually nothing and sound great but I agree with other comments, a lightweight amp and separate speaker will more than likley be lighter due to being split, so offer better portability. Schroeder, Barefaced, Markbass cabs are all light - from there the list of light yet powerful amps is endless.

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1383766365' post='2268876']
Thanks, good advice as ever. I'm discussing needs with the rest of the band
[/quote]

Bizarrely, having decided to sell my Compact, I was complimented on my tone last night at rehearsal - by the SINGER!!! :o He said what a "lovely, rich" sound I was getting! B)

Maybe I should keep it after all? Too late as I've already ordered one of the Genz Benz neo 212s... :rolleyes:

Edited by Conan

Thanks for all the advice. That's what I was after and its always good when it points in a general direction. I would love to go the Barefaced/Streamliner route as suggested but in reality its too much of a financial stretch.
After doing more research I'm pretty sold on the GB Streamliners. I'm not big on over-complicating things so it looks just the job
The only affordable option at the moment looks something like the Streamliner 600 and a FCS115T cab. Either that or I'm no going to get a usable system,

I'm assuming that my Ashdown cab isn't going to cope see link [url="http://www.musicstreet.co.uk/ashdown-deep-bass-cabinet-p-4099.html?gclid=CIfJ44HZ0roCFafMtAodxnUAKw"]http://www.musicstreet.co.uk/ashdown-deep-bass-cabinet-p-4099.html?gclid=CIfJ44HZ0roCFafMtAodxnUAKw[/url]

I wasn't actually planning on buying just yet..but there you go :)

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1383829243' post='2269645']
I would love to go the Barefaced/Streamliner route as suggested but in reality its too much of a financial stretch.
I wasn't actually planning on buying just yet..but there you go :)
[/quote]

I may be open to trades... ;)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1383829369' post='2269648']
I may be open to trades... ;)
[/quote]

Cool Conan, we can chat later on to see if I have stuff you may be interested in.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1383831678' post='2269702']
Your amp will sound OK with a better cab, so if your budget is limited I'd keep the amp a little longer and get a modern cab.
[/quote]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]I like my Ashdown fine so will be hanging on to it. The reason I'm looking is that I have a little orange 50b combo at home that doesn't seem to like EMG powered guitars. I was going to upgrade it and then thought "why not upgrade my main kit instead and move the Ashdown into the house?". [/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]The Ashdown is a tatty old thing that I got on the cheap, never serviced, never missed a beat and is not worth selling anyway. [/color][/font]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Going this route I can leave my stuff where I rehearse and also have a spare that sounds decent. It's all part of the master plan![/color][/font]

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1383774581' post='2269083']
The Markbass combos weigh in @ the same as a MB head & cab of the same.
If I was in the market just now, I'd be snapping up one of the current GB deals & probably a Barefaced cab.
[/quote]

I think the point is that 38lbs in one trip is worse for your back than two trips taking a 6lb head then a 32lb cab.

To the OP, personally, I love my markbass head and my aguilar cabs and they are a breeze to load/unload, even if the cabs are at the heavier end of the Aguilar cab weight chart!

My 2 pennies, buy a better cab first. Save a bit more and then buy a good D Class head (nice and light) and I agree with the Streamliner comments. A 115 cab is fine, but personally on it's own it will struggle to give enough oomph and clarity. A 2x12 would be a one cab solution, give you the lowend and also enough clarity. On the cheaper end of the scale I think Gallien Krueger 212 is probably your best bet but opinions are like, well you know what....

212 should also give you more volume from you current head.

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1383837264' post='2269806']
A 115 cab is fine, but personally on it's own it will struggle to give enough oomph and clarity.[/quote]

You've never used a BF Compact have you? :D I can assure you that lack of volume (or "oomph and clarity") is not an issue. At all. Ever. (Well, as long as your amp is 250 watts or more...).

They are phenomenally loud cabs, but still deliver a very clear tone (if that is what you want).

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1383837264' post='2269806']
My 2 pennies, buy a better cab first. Save a bit more and then buy a good D Class head (nice and light)

[/quote]
Thanks advice taken

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1383837519' post='2269808']

You've never used a BF Compact have you? :D I can assure you that lack of volume (or "oomph and clarity") is not an issue. At all. Ever. (Well, as long as your amp is 250 watts or more...).

They are phenomenally loud cabs, but still deliver a very clear tone (if that is what you want).
[/quote]

Point taken and a fair comment, but it is an exception to the rule. There are a few more that potentially could also be counted as exceptions but in general imo you miss a little with just a 15. One cab solution has to be 212 in my book.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1383812689' post='2269308']
Bizarrely, having decided to sell my Compact, I was complimented on my tone last night at rehearsal - by the SINGER!!! :o He said what a "lovely, rich" sound I was getting! B)

Maybe I should keep it after all? Too late as I've already ordered one of the Genz Benz neo 212s... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I'm interested in your reasons for replacing your compact with a GB neo 212 (other than the fact that they're going cheap at the moment)? I hear great things about compacts.

Edited by gjones

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1383931639' post='2271021'] I'm interested in your reasons for replacing your compact with a GB neo 212 (other than the fact that their going cheap at the moment)? I hear great things about compacts. [/quote]

Worth remembering that a GB neo 212 is 75% heavier than a compact i.e. 47lbs vs 27lbs so not really what I would call a like-for-like replacement.

Edited by bassman7755

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1384006854' post='2271827']
Sorted, I went with the general consensus. Barefaced compact and a GB Streamliner 600.
[/quote]

Should be a awesome combination.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1383931639' post='2271021']
I'm interested in your reasons for replacing your compact with a GB neo 212 (other than the fact that their going cheap at the moment)? I hear great things about compacts.
[/quote]

To be honest, the main reason is the demon GAS :rolleyes: (helped by the excellent offer at GAK). :)

I love the Compact but just fancy a change. It is going to a good home! I was used to a BF Vintage, but traded it for a Compact as I was finding the size (not the weight) of the Vintage a bit much for what I was doing. I guess I considered the Compact a bit of a downward trade as I [b][i]really[/i][/b] liked the Vintage. Not that the Compact is in any way substandard (it isn't!) but I kind of missed the larger size of the Vintage. Silly, I know. At some point in the future I may well get another BF cab as I think they are great. But the grass always seems greener on the other side doesn't it? Sometimes, after playing the same gear for a while, I just fancy a change (I think I already said that!).

I may well regret it, but such is life. :D

Edited by Conan

Guest bassman7755

BTW I dunno if youve managed to source a compact already but I'm look to sell one (have 3 of them currently and cant really justify keeping them all ...), I see your in the bristol area and my missus lives there could arrange a hand over in person.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1384011380' post='2271896']
BTW I dunno if youve managed to source a compact already but I'm look to sell one (have 3 of them currently and cant really justify keeping them all ...), I see your in the bristol area and my missus lives there could arrange a hand over in person.
[/quote]
Got one thanks