Why become a member? ×

Rush - Counterparts

wateroftyne

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1383672104' post='2267438']

Your opinion, cool. Not mine though, each has it's own character, and I like the new stuff.

That's music though, everyone has an opinion, and everyone's is valid.
[/quote]

Oh, totally. It's always subjective.

But, out of interest, I'd be interested to hear what instrumental breaks from recent albums you think stand up alongside some of the examples I mentioned earlier, and the ones we all know about that I didn't.

I'm genuinely struggling to recall any...!

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1383673701' post='2267507']
Can anyone explain why so many people who do not like prog rock - or even rock - of any sort appear to love Rush (me for example)?
[/quote]

Me too. I can't bear Dream Theatre, Yes, etc.

I love Rush and Genesis, but that's far as my prog travels take me.

I think it's because the 'clever stuff' is secondary to the songs and the atmosphere.

[quote name='XB26354' timestamp='1383601091' post='2266539']
Counterparts is a good album. They should remember what songs sound like. I've been distinctly underwhelmed by their recent output, and having bought every album on release since Exit... Stage Left I gave up after Snakes and Arrows, which has one decent song but is otherwise dull (I put it in occasionally and get bored after 1 or two songs, which never happens to me on the previous 20-odd releases). I didn't even bother with the last album. It's a shame because they have been one of the most interesting and varied bands in my lifetime, consistently good and even the weaker songs have good playing and some ideas of merit. It almost feels like they've run out of ideas. Alex Lifeson's layered guitar approach since Vapor Trails doesn't work for me and makes for tiring listening. And am I the only one that wishes Geddy would ditch the Jazz and play something more interesting? The Rick, Steinberger and Wal were such distinctive basses. Ironically though, I think the Jazz worked really well on Counterparts, so maybe it is the wall of guitars. Geddy commented that Alex is an exceptional chordal and arpeggio player and a lot of their song ideas sound like they come from his riffs. I think the layering, and the fact that they take months to make an album, has taken some of their spark and spontaneity away.
[/quote]
My sentiments exactly....totally agree with all points made here.

Can anyone explain why so many people who do not like prog rock - or even rock - of any sort appear to love Rush (me for example)?
[/quote]

Rush seem(ed) to be able to avoid the constructs and pretensions of many other prog bands. Their musicianship serves their imaginations and music, rather than revelling in technique and demonstration. I honestly think this attitude is palpable and people pick up on it, they are very humble chaps and their friendship seems more important than the music.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1383680286' post='2267655']
Rush ...are very humble chaps and their friendship seems more important than the music.
[/quote]

Yes. As shown in this clip...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb-MwVUUy3g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb-MwVUUy3g[/url]

[/quote]

I know people who are massive prog rock fans who say Rush "isn't prog". Funny old world isn't it.

Also (back on topic) Counterparts is easily Rush's last good album. There has been the occasional good song since, but not a good album.

Edited by toneknob

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1383732037' post='2268179']
I know people who are massive prog rock fans who say Rush "isn't prog".
[/quote]

I guess that would answer the question :)

Does strike me as odd that so many folks who do not otherwise listen to whatever Rush's type of music is actually called who do listen to Rush?

Anyway, as you say, a bit OT.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1383691921' post='2267890']

Yes. As shown in this clip...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb-MwVUUy3g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb-MwVUUy3g[/url]
[/quote]

That was great, thanks for posting! :)

I really love Counterparts as it was the first new Rush album to come out after I had discovered them. Felt like it was 'mine' if you know what I mean.
The stripped back approach worked great ( a perfect situation for the jazz bass to make it's big comeback).
I hope they record like that again one day.

I would venture that a big part of what is missing on more recent Rush albums is the extra colour and texture Geddy's keyboard playing gave the band in there heyday .Those synthesisers were far more important to the band's sound than most people think , including Rush themselves in all likelihood . On their albums in the late '70's/ early '80's part of what was so brilliant was they wayu that Geddys bass dropped in and out of the music around the keyboard parts . He may have done so out of neccessity in considering how to perform some of those songs live , but it all added to the dynamics of the music overall , and if there was a bass player who knew how to make an entrance in a song then surely it is Geddy Lee. Even today over thirty years adfter hearing it for the first time , the way the bass comes in for the chorus on Subdivisions gives me a thrill which I can only describe as almost sexual . Tom Sawyer is another great example of this , and also The Big Money from Power Windows .

Geddy needs to ditch that tired old Sans Amp/Jazz Bass combo for recording and play a different bass through a vintage Ampeg SVT rig that has been salvaged from a public toilet somewhere in Eastern Europe . He used to be able to take us all by surprise with his gear choices , but for twenty years now he has taken the safe route . He could do with changing his hairstyle too , which is also now 20+ years old . I vote for the back cover of Grace Under Pressure-era mullet to make a comeback . If one of the Kings Of Leon was rocking a hairstyle like that then everyone would say how cool it was in a post modern ironic way and everyone would follow suit . Geddy Lee should have the same gravitas.

I regulaly dream about Geddy Lee at night ( not in a sexual way , that stopped ages ago) , but when I wake up in the morning I can never remember any of the advice he gives me. Next time it happens I am going to ask him if he still has that Steinberger and steer him towards using it again .

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1383674236' post='2267523']
Me too. I can't bear Dream Theatre, Yes, etc.

I love Rush and Genesis, but that's far as my prog travels take me.

I think it's because the 'clever stuff' is secondary to the songs and the atmosphere.
[/quote]

I've never liked Yes they always seemed a bit pretentious somehow.

Dream theatre either until a few weeks ago, I've owned CD's of their's for ages, and tried to like them, but never could. Then I started listening to them again a couple of weeks back, and have gotten into them a bit. I have to say though, they don't seem to have songs that stick in your memory.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1383838211' post='2269826']
Counterparts is one of those albums I've wanted to like for a while now - I've really tried - because I love [i]Animate.[/i] I just don't seem to have been able to get into the other tracks. Seeing you all speak so highly of it on this thread, I feel I should give it another attempt.
[/quote]

A lot of it for me is that the production is so refreshing... See what you think!

I have to hand it to you all, I enjoyed it this time around. WoT, you're quite right, the band actually sounds like a power trio again, the punch has come back to their sound by this stage.

I can only presume the original problem was the result of my trying to listen to Rush's entire back catalogue over the course of a few days while at work. I enjoyed the entire run from Permanent Waves through Grace Under Pressure, but then it started to slump for me with Power Windows. I don't think I managed to finish Hold Your Fire or Roll the Bones, so I suspect my ears and brain were a little tired by the time I got to Counterparts.

Opinion duly reassessed. I might continue the experiment tomorrow and give Test For Echo a shot.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1383841407' post='2269874']
Opinion duly reassessed. I might continue the experiment tomorrow and give Test For Echo a shot.
[/quote]

Just doing that now, actually.

It ain't happening for me. The songwriting is generally not great....