Why become a member? ×

How do I get tone knob on my Precision to actually do something?

thebrig

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1382470914' post='2252636']
Avoid troubleshooting the problem and send KiOgon a PM. Have him send you a P Bass wiring loom and then stick it in your P. His wiring kits are fantastic, and the Tone knob will actually do something!
[/quote]

+1 Yup

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1382470914' post='2252636']
Avoid troubleshooting the problem and send KiOgon a PM. Have him send you a P Bass wiring loom and then stick it in your P. His wiring kits are fantastic, and the Tone knob will actually do something!
[/quote]

This is damn fine advice. Done it a few times myself.

You shouldn't have to of course with a nearly new bass but at least you will know that all of the replacement kit is of excellent quality and well put together.

To update you all, I have playing around more with the amp settings today, and I think that I must have been setting everything too wooly in the first place, I have tried different settings to get a more clangy sound, and now the tone pot is actually coming into play giving me far more range.

Thanks for all the great advice everybody, and the kind offers from some BC'ers to help sort the problem personally. :)

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1382567361' post='2253905']
The way you play a precision makes all the difference in tone. The way you attack the strings and different right hand positions can get you all the tones you need.
[/quote]

I agree with this 100%.

Also, how you use your left hand - damping, vibrato etc.

Frank.

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1382567361' post='2253905']
The way you play a precision makes all the difference in tone. The way you attack the strings and different right hand positions can get you all the tones you need.
[/quote]

Spot on. My natural style gets a very bass warm sound, whereas shift my picking technique/attack and JJ/Bruce Foxton sounds leap out.

• 2 months later...