Why become a member? ×

Little Mark History - Differences between Original, II & III?

molan

I've been looking at some MarkBass combos for rehearsal use and wondered if anyone knows of significant differences between the original combo head which was replaced by the II series and then the III?

From what I can make out the only difference between the II & III is a pre/post eq DI option but not sure about what the LMII offered over the original heads?

Must a MarkBass guru here somewhere :)

I use a markbass CMD102P - think it's the newer model?
Not 100% sure as I bought it S/H
and I think it's great :)

A pal of mine has the older version, and I used his once, for a gig
What was definitely noticeable to me, was his older version was cutting out when the amp was turned up
We think that was because my bass is active, and when I turned the volume control down on my bass,
and turned up the gain & vol controls on the amp, it was better

Maybe there are a few subtle differences like this in the electronics?

Marc

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1381927222' post='2245561']
I use a markbass CMD102P - think it's the newer model?
Not 100% sure as I bought it S/H
and I think it's great :)
[/quote]

I think you can tell which model by looking at the front of the amp.

Original just says 'Combo Head' and is completely yellow
First update says 'Combo Head II' and is predominantly black with yellow writing
Third version looks the same as second but says 'III' instead of 'II' :)

IIRC the MkII doesn't have the DI level control or the toggle switch for pre/post EQ, as you say.
I think the MkII could be changed from pre to post by the use of an internal jumper switch.
I believe they sound the same, though...

Edited by discreet

I am fairly sure that from ii to iii the differences are the Di and a better limiter, particularly in 8 ohm the ii does compress quite harshly assuming that the cmd has the same electronics as the cmd combo.
I used to run that combo until I compared it to a berg single 12, the combo went, most people reckon the tweeter is the weak link.
A cn112 with an lmiii would wipe the floor with it

Edited by Iana

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1381932213' post='2245665']
I've been looking at an original combo but haven't been able to find much info about what the changes were when the LMII came out.

The one I've seen is a good price but I don't know if the II is worth the extra cost.
[/quote]
Good question, not sure there would be enough of an improvement to justify a large cost difference, having said that it would be newer, if you really want a Markbass combo the cmd121h might be worth a look, has a horn instead of piezo. Much much better

[quote name='Iana' timestamp='1381932590' post='2245678']
Good question, not sure there would be enough of an improvement to justify a large cost difference, having said that it would be newer, if you really want a Markbass combo the cmd121h might be worth a look, has a horn instead of piezo. Much much better
[/quote]

I was thinking of adding a 121H cab for gigging and just using the combo on its own for rehearsing :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1381935130' post='2245724']

I was thinking of adding a 121H cab for gigging and just using the combo on its own for rehearsing :)
[/quote]

Try an a/b with your AE210 and you will hear what I am talking about, that is one amazing little cab, especially if it is v2

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1381926880' post='2245548']
I've been looking at some MarkBass combos for rehearsal use and wondered if anyone knows of significant differences between the original combo head which was replaced by the II series and then the III?

From what I can make out the only difference between the II & III is a pre/post eq DI option but not sure about what the LMII offered over the original heads?

Must a MarkBass guru here somewhere :)
[/quote]

From Markbass site:
The incredible international success of the Little Mark II has inspired this new, updated and upgraded version! The new DI output features a pre-post EQ switch and output level control, so you can optimize the signal you send to the mixer or recording unit. All this with the same compact size and weight of its famous predecessor!

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1381949930' post='2246009']
I had one of the all yellow heads. It has a transformer power supply as opposed to the II and iii which have SMPS and weighs about 15lbs as a consequence.

I prefer the transformer version and wish I'd kept it.

Frank.
[/quote]

That's interesting - so the original is 11lbs vs the II at about 6.5lbs?

Why did you prefer the transformer version?

[quote name='Iana' timestamp='1381937667' post='2245761']

Try an a/b with your AE210 and you will hear what I am talking about, that is one amazing little cab, especially if it is v2
[/quote]

The 112H cab is brand new so it'll be he latest version.

I've been running the basic combo against the AE210 today and it's really interesting to compare them. The Berg definitely goes deeper and he combo sounds a little boxy. However as you start boosting the volume the AE, to my ears, starts getting a bit boomy whilst the 112 combo starts really snarling and coming to life. For the rock band I'm in it sounds great with a fairly bright and aggressive sounding Sei bass :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1381935130' post='2245724']
[/quote]

I use the CMD121P with the NY121 cab. The combo sounds good on its own, but with the ext cab it`s an amazing little rig, more volume than I`ll ever need. Plus as well as being loud enough, the depth of sound is very good too.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1381957696' post='2246172']
That's interesting - so the original is 11lbs vs the II at about 6.5lbs?

Why did you prefer the transformer version?
[/quote]

Well, it might be all in my mind, but I think that the SMPS amps don't react as quickly to your playing and don't give quite the same weight and welly to the notes.

I sold the LM I after I bought the LM II but soon realised I preferred the LM I. I haven't owned a LM III.

The 121P combo is a wonderful little amp. I often gigged mine on it's own in a pub covers band and it was easily up to the job in small/ medium pubs. It does sound great. I only sold it after I bought a BF Midget because it covered similar ground but the Midget (careful now !!) sounded better and louder.

I mostly gig with a Mesa Walkabout (transformer power supply) and BF Compact now and, to my ears anyway, it's a very lovely sounding rig that gets positive comments from musos at various pub gigs.

I hope that's of some help Molan.

Frank.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1381957937' post='2246178']

The 112H cab is brand new so it'll be he latest version.

I've been running the basic combo against the AE210 today and it's really interesting to compare them. The Berg definitely goes deeper and he combo sounds a little boxy. However as you start boosting the volume the AE, to my ears, starts getting a bit boomy whilst the 112 combo starts really snarling and coming to life. For the rock band I'm in it sounds great with a fairly bright and aggressive sounding Sei bass :)
[/quote]

Glad you are diggin it, am intrigued by the ae210 sounding boomy, that is not a description that I have ever heard about that cab!
I guess on a wooden floor or powered by a streamliner ..... :)

Edited by Iana

[quote name='Iana' timestamp='1381988843' post='2246340']

Glad you are diggin it, am intrigued by the ae210 sounding boomy, that is not a description that I have ever heard about that cab!
I guess on a wooden floor or powered by a streamliner ..... :)
[/quote]

Could be that one person's deep low end is another's boomy, lol.

I have heard people say they've had some issues controlling the bottom end of the AE cabs because of the rear porting. I had it a little of this when I was using a pair of AE112's. Started using a Gramma pad and that seemed to cure it.

I've used the 210 a couple of times at rehearsals and noticed I've had to cut bass a little on the amp. It was free-standing in the middle of a large room so not effected by rear wall issues.

Still sounded great so I'm splitting hairs here :)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1382025961' post='2246870']
That is odd. I've only ever heard that the AE cabs are quite tightly voiced in terms of bass.
[/quote]
The 10 loaded cabs are tight, the AE212 is a different beast altogether, I have one paired with a little mark 800 and the low end is huge even sat on a gramma pad, all relative though!
If Molan ever wants to loose the AE210 I might even be able to find a good home for it.....

So today I've been playing an original series 1 MB121P back to back with the version II.

The first thing I noticed is that the original combo feels a little lighter than the the newer one. There's not a lot between them and my scales are knackered so I couldn't weigh them but I could feel a difference and my, ever suffering, wife could as well.

More interesting is that they sound different. The original version is all round darker and bassier with less of the bright top end of the new one. At identical settings it's also a shade louder.

I don't know if this is simply that the older one has had more use and has mellowed a little or that the components have changed over the years. The old one hasn't been used a lot (although it does hold a world record for being used at a faster speed and a higher altitude than any other bass amp, lol) and has only ever been gigged twice.

He volume difference is marginal and could just be calibration of the pots or maybe it seems a bit louder because it's bassier.

I'm going to rehearse with the older one tomorrow night so that'll be a more representative test :)

Apart from the lack of pre/post DI options mentioned above the original one doesn't have an output control for the line out. Other than that it appears, from the surface anyway, to be the same, albeit a different colour scheme.